Boat show surprise yesterday!?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I went over to the convention center yesterday afternoon (opening day of the Mid-Atlantic Boat Show) and was surprised on several fronts. First BPS and their display.

BPS did not have the best of spaces for their display, but not the worst either. They had a pretty decent space, with the back of their area up against the rear wall of the 'hall'. The front of the area was on one of two main hallways there. Here is the surprising item. On the front line of boats, the only thing they had there were all of the 'Tracker' models, including one Tundra and one Alavanche. ALL of the Nitro rigs, were all on the back and side row. I believe that they had a 3-4 700 series boats, and a 2-3 800 series rigs; plus a fish and ski. The only 900 series boat I remember seeing is one that has been out at BPS for MONTHS, on the floor (actually outside under the 'patio'. They also had a number of Tahoe's there.

One, and only one salesman (at BPS) came over to talk with me (I spent about 15 minutes in the 'booth' chatting with a fellow club member who was there shopping for a boat). I stopped and looked closely at the Tundra and Alvanche, along with the 800 series. No one offered to show or explain anything to me. And this was a time where there probably wasn't 30 attendee's at the whole show.

One other surprise was that in the whole show, there were perhaps only 50 bass boats TOTAL. Here was the approximate breakdown:

Make, number of dealers

Champion - 1

Ranger - 1

Nitro/Tracker - 1

Triton - 1

Stratos - 2

Skeeter - 1

All others - Zero

The only dealer that really knew how to show a boat and attempt to make a sale was the Champion group. By the way, the Champion that I looked at was extremely nice. Very high marks on design and quality, from first look. My friend and I met up again in the Ranger booth, and while we were there 10 minutes, NEVER got so much as a 'how do you do'.

Anyone ever looked at the new Hobie Outback Kayak, that they have designed especially for fishermen? Hank Parker did a show on one recently, and they were there yesterday. Man, that is a very nice rig for river/pond fishing. Wife and I are going later this spring to the dealership (Myrtle Beach) and try one out.

Tex

Those are all "Dealer" faux pa's.......not the fault of the mfgr's....The local dealer I'm working for here has plenty of staff on hand.....customer's are greeted immediately and we ask them if there's anything we can help them with or if they have any questions we can answer,..if they say "Naw,..just looking"...then we'll offer them a catalog and tell them to feel free to climb in and look around,...basically, "Holler if you have any questions!!...I'll be right here if you need me!"...I don't like to follow them around or pressure them....I wouldn't want that if I was the customer!!...There's no excuse for being ignored though.....that shouldn't happen!!! just my .02..

Mac

no doubt,...no excuse for that,....especially from "commission based" sales people...you'd think they'd atleast recognize your presence anyway!! LOL

Traditionally, you get a lot of "tire kickers" at shows (not that it doesn't result in sales down the road) and if it was early/late or attendence was low, they may not have been as attentive as they should have. Having just done three weeks worth of shows (on the fishing side) and seminars, let me tell you, they could be beat tired, I am pooped!! Back at my 9 to 5 and trying to recover. One weekend off and it's off to another show (3 days), then get busy on some promised articles, seminars at 2 bass clubs here in DC and Virginia, set dates to take 2 outdoor writers out (gratis, they better do me right) AND still try and book some PAYING clients. LOL So, you want to be a guide....saddle up and comon along!!

TOXIC

One of the things I've noticed is that quite often the booths are manned primarily by the Pro-Staffers - especially during the non-prime hours. Pro-Staffers (unlike Mac) are not necessarily "sales orientated". They aren't commissioned. They are just doing the shows to fulfill their obligation to the dealerships..... Nothing wrong with this - some people just don't have the sales mind-set.....

Now, if BPS wanted me and my 30+ years of sales experience to come and man their booth at a show for some slight compensation.....

me!

P.S.

I saw that Hank Parker show! Having spent most of my first 45 years of fishing doing it from a canoe - that looked like FUN!

Tox,

I can understand where you are coming from. When I was doing a considerable amount of civic club work, and heavily involved on the 'political' side, along with the charity work, I too was into that type of schedule. You can run yourself ragged.

In the recent BassTimes, it has an article on Woo Daves, and his schedule for February. He left 'home' in late January, and will not be back until around the 22nd/23rd of February (unless he gets booked into something else. That includes two long tows of his rig by his wife. All that I can say is 'whew'!

Tex

Found the same thing at the Mesquite boat show (and local BPS). As a former commissioned salesperson and a current consultant/trainer to the same, it never ceases to amaze me how unmotivated some salespeople are about walk-in traffic.

You can wander around the boat area in BPS forever and never be greeted. Every once in awhile you'll see one guy (either on the phone or eating), but he does his best to not look up and acknowledge your presence.

Can't say that for Neeley's crew, though! You so much as cast a glance towards a boat and you're covered with someone trying to sell you something. Too bad they're all so danged ugly!

Was my first time there, so didn't know what to expect. Only about 2-3 'guides' (all striper) at the show. Virtually only a 'boating' show. Certainly not a Boating/Fishing show.

Probably last time they will get my $7.00.

Tex

Mac,

I totally agree with you,when you said; "There's no excuse for being ignored though.....that shouldn't happen!!! just my .02.." And, I would appreciate you e-mailing that very message to my wife and kids... I get absolutely no respect at all....

LOL....I can relate to that too Rodney!!...livin' it!!!

Scott,..I don't get a nickel from anybody for sellin' a boat either,..as the "Rep" we just answer questions and point out features, explain benefits and mfg' differences,etc..etc...when someone wants to buy,..we introduce them to a salesman....he/she has to do the dirty work with the numbers!!..LOL...Actually, Reps like me have the BEST job,...we get to have all the fun and share the excitement of the products without having to play the numbers games!! On the other hand....a good Rep, makes a salemans job alot easier!! I like being a Rep..no pressure! LOL!!

Mac

Yep. The guy yesterday who was the most helpful (Champion dealer), was the 'pro' or rep. In his fishing outfit, not in the std. sales togs.

Tex

nothing against the sales guys, but i would rather talk to someone who has fished out of the boat and used it alot and can talk about performance and features. its a good opportunity to really check em out under no pressure. sometimes at the dealers lot i feel i'm wasting the salesmans time. one thing i've noticed at the show is that if a rep can get you looking and talkin for over 15 min another rep and then a sales guy usually appears pretty quick.

jd

I sold 2 rods and reels, and a soft sided tacklebox just waiting to do my seminar Tuesday at BPS in Baltimore. Store Manager was watching me and came up and said that I was in the wrong business and I ought to be selling retail. I politely told him he was out of his friggin mind!! I've worked retail and it is a BEAR. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I'm still workin retail (if I have to kiss another sponsor's patoot I'm gonna hurl). Can you tell I've been on the road too long? I need some water time!!

TOXIC

Our Atlanta crew had an awesome show, due in part to the great weather. (We usually get the one really rotten week of the winter during the boat show.) I know Rich Stern and Trep can tell you how crowded we were, yet all the help was readily availlable. Without "flooding the floor" with additional salesmen, our service crew answered customer questions and provided a valuable insight from the service perspective. We acheived considerably higher sales than most other dealers attending 10 day shows! Our staff sure made for another enjoyable "bell to bell" call for five days during the show. I wouldn't trade a single one of them!

I recently went to a boat show here in California. To say the least. I was disappointed by the Tracker factury rep. He knew little or nothing about the Tracker and Nitro bass boats. But ask him a question about any of the pleasure boats and boy howdy. You could not get him to shut up. I felt that I knew more about their product from just browsing at their website.

I have nothing against "tire kickers". However, the BPS in Dallas (Grapevine) as well as the boat shows, get more babysitters than tire kickers. If you are interested in a boat or may be in the future, fine, look it over, check it out, etc. BUT, they are not toys for your kids to crawl all over, slobber on, etc. I hate it when people waste the salesperson's time by making him/her babysit to protect the boat from these RUDE people and people who have questions can't get anyone's attention. If you have NO INTENTION of buying a $30,000 bass boat, don't crawl in one.

I've always thought BPS should put a fence around the boat section and require a security deposit before you could come in :).

Went to a few shows this winter in the Chicago area, and I have to say, at least while I was there, at the Tracker/Nitro/Tahoe,etc. area,at 2 of the 3 shows, I was at least greeted with a "Hi, how are ya?" "If ya need anything, let me know".

And actually, at the Chicago boat show, the actual salesman I bought my boat from, hope he doesn't mind- Ted Koba,from Gurnee BPS came up to me after not seeing me or hearing from me since March, asked me how my son's doing in college, how's the boat, etc. I found it surprising that he'd even remember me, you know, sorta like some Car dealers forget you exist as soon as you sign? I was needless to say pleasantly surprised! Other than that, none of the other dealers except a Lund dealer gave me the time of day..... egMike

Gary, you know anyone that wants one just like it? LOL Look at my library. Mine is for sale.

Latest posts

Back