Boat Cover

• Thread starter Sisco Sisk [IMG]http://www.bunncapitol.com/champ18
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisco Sisk

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I recently traded my nitro fish N Ski for an 01 Champion 181. I got a honey of a deal on it and so far am very pleased with this boat. However, when the origial owner purchased the boat, he didn't opt for the custom boat cover. He rarely towed long distances and when a cover was needed he used the original shipping cover. I called a Champion dealer and found out that I could have a custom cover made by Champion to the tune of $700.00. The dealer also offered to have their a local company do it for $650.00. I've never looked in to buying a custom cover because my 2000 nitro came standard with one so this seems very expensive to me. Has anyone ever had a custom cover made for them and if so how much did it run? Also, has anyone found a good "out of the box" cover that's worth looking at? I can't bare to see my honey getting wet on long fishing trips

Thanks

SISKO

champ181.jpg

If you want to sepnd the money and get a custom cover in my opinion there is no better one than Aurora. It will probably run you about 500 bucks. If not the best cover I ahve found so far that's semi- custom and trailable is the ones from Attwood. I now have one on my 21 ft Triton and so far no problems. I bought it at the begining of the season and have had good luck so far. I order mine from Bass Pro its under the Sun Armor boat cover and would run you around 200 bucks.

Rob L

The advantage to the custom covers, are that once on, they generally can be used during towing. That can be a very nice feature if heading somewhere and it's raining or foul weather.

Just be sure that it is rated for towing. If not, I wouldn't spend $700-800 bucks on one.

I have a standard cover (made for this model) on my Stratos. Not suitable for towing.

Tex

I could never figure that out....You cover it, tow it to the lake and it stays all nice and neat in the rain, then you uncover it and fish in the rain all day? Never has been worth it to me to spend the $$. I bought a cover off of e-bay for my 929 that is trailerable ($150.00 BTW) but I never do it. Why risk the scuff marks? Besides, I never wanted to drill my trailer.

TOXIC

I picked up a Aurora cover after my Nitro cover was stolen. I had it made so I could cover the boat with the seats in. After a year it developed two small rips . I contacted Aurora and they repaired the cover for free. I think that they make the best cover out there . I only usually use the cover when the boat is in the backyard ,since I don

Check out the Cabela's Trail Pro II cover. They fit very well and are heavy duty. When trailering it doesn't really move much and has a 5 year warranty I think. It sells for around $280.

Tox,

I like to cover mine to keep any prying eyes away if I should drop into Wally-world or Micky D's for something.

It would only take a few seconds for somebody with a knife to get in,but is better than somebody walking by,grabbing a rod or tackle bag and walking off.

Plus all the dirt and dust and possum guts that get kicked up along the way to the lake.

You would be surprised how much road dirt gets in your boat and especially the carpet when trailering long distances especially if it is raining. Also maybe the most logical reason for trailering with the cover on is an amazing increase in gas mileage. I did not believe this till I towed on a 300 mile trip to NY with the boat covered for the first time. Check your mileage covered versus uncovered and you will believe too.

Just talked to Dan at Aurora and was very impressed with the company! They actually make the champion covers so if you go through him, you bypass the middle men. Dan's quote was much less then the champion dealer and it is the same product made by the same people. The even stich in the Champion logo on the motor cover.

I should also mention that C and O marine was very helpful as well. They had many Champion covers in stock but not one that would fit mine.

Latest posts

Back