Truck Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Since I'm too lazy to go look it up, can somebody tell me what the max size tire I can put on my 2004 2500 Silverado HD. The tires that came stock, although they have lasted well (63,000), look like training wheels.:p I can see daylight between the rear tires and under the bed!!:lol::lol: Anybody want to offer an opinion as to the best tire without getting into an olympic urinating match? I am looking at the Michelin LTX since they went 173,000 on my jeep. That's not a typo either!! I put them on at 77,000 miles and just replaced them at 250,000. Pricey but well worth it on the longevity!! Also, is there any type of law that says I have to put a tire on the truck that is rated for the truck load range? Obviously, a 2500 HD being used at its max load would take a much more expensive tire. I don't do anything other than tow the boat but my local tire guy says he won't install a tire rated less than the truck load range.

TOXIC

Sams club list LT245/75R16/E for a Silverado C2500 RWD Ext. Cab Short Bed H.D. You never said whether you had 4wd or 2wd, and if is't a long bed, short bed, regular cab, extended cab, etc... , but it looks like standard size for all of them is the same across the board. That is small for a truck in my opinion. I can't find a single site - Tire Rack, Sears, Sams Club, etc... that will give me an optional size for that truck. I don't want to guess at the tire size. I know there are some 255 and 265 size tires for 16" rims, but I don't know what profile you would need. Either way, changing the profile and size from stock will more than likely throw off your speedo - maybe a little, maybe a lot.

I would highly recommend that you go with your choice - Michellin. My truck has Badyears on it, and as soon as they wear out, my Dodge gets a new set of Michellins. We put some on my wifes Jeep, and she loves them (swapped out the factory Badyears on her truck too - same model tire that is on my truck unfortunately - hers only lasted 40K, and they were humming so bad when we replaced them, we thought something was wrong with her truck - nope. Just bad tires. Her new Michellins ride better than the truck did when it came from the factory.

All the best,

Glenn

It's a 4wd, regular bed, crew cab. I don't want stock again. That I do know. They are waaaaay to small for that truck. I can have the speedo re-calibrated through the computer and if I do go with the Michelins, they might just outlast the truck!!

TOXIC

I switched from the Mich LTX's I've used on previous Suburbans/trucks to BFG Radial T/A KO's on my current truck. I am very happy with the resulting ride and load handling. I went up to 265/75R16 from the stock 245 size and they filled the wheel wells nicely without rub or grind. Road noise is almost non-existant with a fairly aggressive tread and the extra lift was slight and easily accomodated. (An inch or so.) I recalibrated the size difference with the Hypertech and it put me dead on speed; dash compared with GPS. I wholeheartedly recomend them.

Tox...go to Fullsizechevy.com and ask the boys over there.They can tell you exactly how big you can go without rubbin.

Great site with the "been there and did that crew";)

There is no intent to contradict, criticize, or question any other feedback provided to this RFI.

I could not find any specific Virginia law related to your question. Your concern is not a Virginia vehicle inspection standard.

That said, one of the primary standards for selecting a tire size is to handle the load. You have set the bar at your vehicle's weight [and planned load factors], while your tire guy has set the bar at your vehicle's weight + maximum possible freight. If not by some law, I suspect that he set that bar to limit his responsibility should disaster come your way.

I put Michelin passenger tires on my FISO and I am very pleased with handling and noise reduction. The only concern I needed to keep in mind is that when a passenger tire is put on a truck the load can only be 90% of the tire's rating.

You will probably just need to find a different tire guy.

ps: Go to tirerack.com and look at their tire information; trucks can handle 10 [or 15-I forgot already] % increase in tire size.

double P-S: I saw on another link that your wheel well can handle wheel sizes up to 20 inches if you want to eliminate the "training wheel" look.

tox,

the bf goodrichs all terrians, last a long time. offer good alaround traction and are priced right.

mike c

I have goodyear wrangler RTS (careful, only the rts) on my F150 and the Dakota...got 80,000 miles per ser three times

I just put new tires on my '01 F150 SuperCrew. I got 86,645 miles out the original stock 17" Goodyear AT's. I replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S and am very happy with them. Smoother, quiter ride. Pricey as mentioned but I'm sure they'll last a long time. The tire guy told me the Goodyears I had were 6 ply (why they rode rougher) and the new Michelins are 4 ply (smoother ride). I don't know anything about all of that, but they're great tires in my book! :)

305/70/16 Thats what we used to put on all the Fords and Dodges. They work out to be 31 inches tall and 10.5 inches wide. When I start my new job next Monday I and look at a cross over chart.

BF

Are those 305 tires going to fit on his stock wheels?

It sold before I could get back to you. But Thanks anyway. I think I am just going to fix up my 86 T-bird turbo coupe.

Bruce

I have a 2003 2500 HD and just put on some new tires this past winter. They had the stocked 245 75R 16 and you are right when you said they are too small for this Truck. I was able to put on a set of 265 75R 16 and they look great. You can also go with a 255 85R 16 as well. They are a little taller than the 265's but they are also a little narrower. I tried to get some of the All Terrain Goodrich's but they were not able to fit my particular rim. Check your rim Width. Mine is 6.5" and the All Terrains (265's) fit a 7"-8" rim.

Max <><

Thanks Guys, I went out and looked at it again and although I would like to put on some meats as big as Bruce said, I just don't see how the fronts won't rub on the bumper. That is the ONLY place rubber gets close to the truck. I know a lot of people trim the front plastic but I don't want to do that. I don't want Super Swampers but I do want to give it a bit more bite. The Michelins on my jeep were fantastic for tread life but were marginal in the rain/mud/snow. Decisions, decisions....It's hard to walk away from a 100,000+ mile tire but towing requires good traction also.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back