Truck Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Has anyone priced 17" truck tires lately? I am in like a total case of sticker shock right now. I put a golf ball sized hole in a sidewall the other day when i hit a piece of debris in the road going ~70. Since i have about 70k on my tires and they are just about done I need to get 4 and just be done with it. I have called around and the tires i have now have almost doubled in price over the last 3 years :huh:. My last set was in the mid $500 range the same tires today are over a grand mounted and balanced. Basically im looking at ~1100 to get any decent quality rubber underneath my truck. UGH!!!

I just replaced the tires on my wife's Tahoe in December and was shocked at the prices. Right at $800 out the door for 4 tires, and the last set I put on (just 2 1/2 years earlier) were right at $500.

I think you can get decent tires for a lot less than $1100.

jim,

two of my co workers just did tires on there trucks. A Toyota Tundra and a Chevy Tahoe. Both of them dropped 1100/1200.00 at Town fare Tire in Nashua NH. Only good news no Sale Tax.....

GregD

Between the cost of oil and all the raw rubber going to China tires are going to keep going up.

I buy all my tires from www.discounttiredirect.com. I pay no sales tax and shipping is free. When they come in I go to Wal-Wart and heve them installed. I usually end up saving over a $100.

got 265/70 R17 Goodyear Wranglers for my F150 for $129.00 each at the Dealership in Columbia, SC last January. Been real happy with the tires. Probably about $80.00 for mounting/balancing. Alignments and road hazard run extra. Good luck

JP

Marty,

I have found some cheaper but i don't want a house brand made in china tire. The cheapest tire i have found around here of the brands i will buy are Firestone LE's and the total with tax, mounting/balance, road hazard and disposal is just over a grand.

My current set of tires are Uniroyal Cross country's and they cost me 560 three years ago out the door with everything including road hazard. To get the same ones im looking at about $1100 now(if they can get them since they are on backorder up here). Thats double in three years for the same exact product. The tires went up but so didn't the sales tax and they also get stupid money to mount and balance them. Most places want $30 per tire at least and then another $15 "disposal fee" per tire.

The good news is i found something and they are going on tomorrow. A friend of mine sent me to a local business that he has used before and the guy is taking good care of me. Im getting 4 Michelin LTX M/S2's put on for 1150 with everything including road hazard and an alignment. Its more then i was looking to spend but since everyone else around here wants between $1500 and $2k for the same tires im happy with the price he gave me. The price is right in the ballpark of some of the other brands i looked at but for a Michelin which is a premium tire.

Some major brands, such as Goodyears, are being imported from China.

"Some major brands, such as Goodyears, are being imported from China."

Exactly and thats why GoodYear and several others were never on my short list. Not to mention that around here the cost similar to the made in the USA Michelin's that I'm buying.

Glad I put new rubber on my ride 2 years ago. Went with Michelin and jumped up a size to get rid of the bicycle stock tires that were on there. Speedo reads 3mph slow but the tires are great and wear like iron. I hate changing tires so I make sure mine are balanced and rotated on a regular basis. Last set of Michelin's on my Jeep I put on at 70k and replaced them at 230k and they still had tread!! Every gear head I know told me to go with the Michelin's for the truck. Even my Father in Law who used to be part owner of an industrial rubber manufacturer, told me they were the best tires on the market.

TOXIC

When my factory tires wear down, I replace with Cooper Discoverer ATR. Usually good for 60k+ miles, great in snow and crappy VT mud season dirt roads!

Been happy with the Cooper Discoverer H/T on the 04' Sierra we have....have over 50,000 on them already and they still have good life left.

I just purchased some tires for my wife's Mountaineer 650 dollars mounted and balanced. 60k mile warranty, Bridgestone Dueler H/T D689 245/65/17, they look like decent tires, as with all tires I have heard bad things and good things, I cant say much about them as I have only had them on a week. You cant get that Mountaineer stuck with bald tires so cant say much about the traction of the tire.

The Michelins will be on it when i pick it up at 5 today.

Im still shocked at the huge uptick in price on the tires i had an everytihng else in the market in the last three years.

If mine last as long as the ones Tox has on his jeep this will be the last set i will need for this truck. My plan it to keep it another 5 years and then it will be time for a new truck.

Mine are the LTX MS and were pricey because I have a 3/4 ton and the tire shop would not sell me any tire not rated for 3/4 ton truck load ranges....yikes.....I'll never load that truk up to it's max but whatever...:rolleyes: Costco sell a lot of tires as well.

TOXIC

Im like toxic,2500hd diesel with 20 inch tires and like he said they have to be e rated just because of the truck weight with nothing hooked to it.I went with a new at tire made by michelin at 2000 out the door.

My truck came with LT MS Michelins and after 4 years but only 36,000 miles they look like they have at least 60% left in them, I know others that had same tire and went 70,000 + and some of those ended up cracking but still had life left in them.....I just hope that MIchelin man jumps up and throws some new ones on without the $$$$..:rolleyes:

I paid less than $800 for the last TWO sets of tires for my Yukon COMBINED. And one set came with Escalade rims.

Both were take offs from private owners. One was a buddy and one was on craigslist.

With as many people adding 20" rims and low profile tires to trucks, finding a standard size tire is pretty easy. If you dont just walk into a tire store and pay retail!

Tires have gone through the roof in the last 2 years. Price of oil, rubber and cash for clunkers even had it's effect.

BF

Latest posts

Back