I'm in unfamiliar waters and I've got questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
"Project Sprint" is in the driveway, and I've taken stock of the many (!!!) issues that need attention. But before I can even begin addressing them, I've got some simple questions for the more experienced hands.

The boat is sitting on a heavy duty, single axle trailer, with Goodyear Marathon tires. The tires looked low to me at the dealer, so I checked them at home and found they had 40psi. I bumped it up to the 50psi max load rating, and they still look a bit flat. It's the first time I've had radials on a trailer, and I know they are supposed to look flat in comparison to ply tires. Normal?

OMC tilt/trim question: The boat has a '99 Johnson 200. The motor trim moves slowly when in running position, then kicks into a fast mode when in trailer position. Normal?

The top of the motor cowling is sun faded and abraided from the use of the ski line/sky pylon. I know it is possible to get matching paint, but I'm wondering if I can get some shine back with automotive polish. Comments?

Thanks in advance for what are the first of many questions.

tires are ok..Look for weather cracks....Trim Is normal slow at first then It speeds up..Keep grease on the rollers on the two lifts that come up...Better yet grease all fittings never more than 3 squirts.....

You can try the new color matching wax and see If that helps...You can always get 2000 grit rubbing compond and orbital buff it..Never use a high speed buffer...Never trailer It with the motor cover on Unless It's really bad wether It will dull It bad..

.Ranger makes a wax thast you rub all the way In,,Might give It a try..To much work for me..

Use 303 on everything...seats,dash you can use It on the boat, also tires. to..........Hope this helps...JR I am Going to go have a drink with Sammy Haggar have a great day..........

P.S. Ifg I can hwelp with anything e-mail me and I'll get you a cost...JR

I love to watch "projects".... LOL But, I have enough of my own... Rich, you are a glutton for punishment.... But, Good Luck, Buddy!

The OMC trim and tilt works that way, just Like JR said. I've never had to worry about glass and polishing so I can't help on the cowling...

Just make sure that those tires are still "round" ... Tow it on a smooth stretch with someone watching...

Go to the auto detail shop and get some medium leveler. NOT COMPOUND leveler. Rub with a soft cotton cloth slightly damp. If you have a orbital polisher use it. Then wax. Use a good cleaner on the vinyl seats such as Simple Green and a soft brush. Then a leather and vinyl restore solution and soft rag. NO NOT USE ANY ARMORAL ON ANYTHING. It dries the material it's the worst stuff possible.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back