trolling motor bracing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
I recently installed a minn kota 65 at on my pt175. I used all six bolts that came with it. Now when i have it on high and hit the button it looks like the motor jumps real hard. yes the bolts are tight, should i brace the area from the bottom or am i just not used to the motor and its quirks yet. also the button is hard as hell to depress will it get "softer" as i used it more. sorry so long

mike

I have an AT55 on a PT185 so our setups aren't too much differant. My trolling motor is rock solid. Did you use nuts on the bolts or did you use the T-nuts? I don't think the T-nuts will take the start-up torque of the TM. If you haven't already go ahead and put regular hex nuts and washers on the bottom side of the mount. I know it's a PIA, but it's the only way to make sure it's really secure. IMHO

As far as your button, I don't have an answer for you on that. Mine works fine. Are you sure you're hitting it squarely? That's all I got.

Harpo

i used the nuts that came with it which are nylon lock nuts, i must be to used to the ease of my old mg button

I know you said you tightened the nuts but did you TIGHTEN the nuts...if you know what I mean. I thought I had them tight until I had someone hold the screwdriver from the top while I reached under and gave it a few more turns. That's the only thing I can think of.

A friend of mine had trouble with my pedal when he was thinking about switching to a MinnKota from the Motorguide he had. He bought the MK and as far as I know he got used to it and never had a problem.

Harpo

i will double check the tighness of the nuts, though mine came with bolts and not the phillips style screws.

thanks for the help

mike

Mike-

Go to an auto parts store and buy fender washers for the underside.They are almost the size of a snuff can with a small hole in the middle.They helped alot on mine.

Steve

mike,

i put a maxxum 65 on my lx700 and used the nuts and bolts which came with the motor. make sure you REMOVE the old motorguide T-nuts or whatever they are called. If yours had an old motorguide, like mine, the old rubber inserts are a lot larger that the 1/4" bolt for the mk. I ended up reusing 2 holes and drilling 4 new ones. The fender washers are a must and go ahead and get some xtra nylock nuts and double nut them to be xtra sure they don't loosin up. If it is your fiberglass on the boat that is giving, you will want add some bracing underneath such as a piece of aluminum or steel which is as large or larger than the mk bracket. as far as the button on the foot pedel, mine was a little firmer but not much at all compared to my old mg. it took a couple outings to get used to the difference in location of the button but no big deal. this board helped me out a bunch with good suggestions on the installation and I'm sure others will chime in with some good ideas also.

jd

Latest posts

Back