Replacing trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAmbrosia

Reaction score
I have a older 2003 Nitro 188 Sport and was trying to replace the old Motorguide trolling motor with a Minn Kota Terrova. The old trolling motor is mounted aluminum plate made just for that boat it seems. On the front of the boat there two brackets where the plate attached to. See picture below. I can't seem to find anything to buy that will work with those two brackets or even a plate to use to mount the new trolling motor too. Has anyone else had this problem and have a solution? Also does any one know what those brackets are called. I have talk to bass pro and they didn't have any information either.

Thanks

1650297381282.png

Welcome aboard AAmbrosia - Yeah I have done that. I have an 2005 189 Sport your set up looks similar to mine even mounted the Terrova like you plan to do. The old aluminum plate is not big enough for the Terrova so I had a new plate fabricated to accept the Terrova. Mounted the plate to those 2 brackets you have above then a MK removeable TM mount to the plate and finally the Terrova to the removeable mount. In the 2nd pic you can see how much bigger the new plate was than the old one. The new plate was not cheap but the only work around I could find

Attachments

• IMG_6005.JPG
    IMG_6005.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6009.JPG
    IMG_6009.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6010.JPG
    IMG_6010.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6024.JPG
    IMG_6024.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6025.JPG
    IMG_6025.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6029.JPG
    IMG_6029.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 46
Thank you for the reply. How did you secure the plate to the bracket that is under the trolling motor itself? Also did you have to level the plate itself? My front bracket is on a slight angle down which will cause the shaft to be on a little bit of a angle.

Same issue for me, I had Cabela's fabricate a mounting plate, which they made from boat hull material. Then I used the Xi5 Quick Release bracket (highly recommend) bolted on top. I did not use the brackets that were on the boat originally. To compensate for the height difference, they used spacers between the bolts and the mounting plate, with rubber washers to reduce vibration. Another tip-if you are switching to a 24V motor, use a better plug and receptacle than the little one up front. I went with the Marinco 70A plug and receptacle https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/marinco-70a-3-wire-trolling-motor-plug-or-receptacle, as the old one kept getting hot and melting the wires. Let me know if you want pics of my setup, I am very happy with it.

When I removed my old TM my rear bracket was held on by a threaded stainless screw. You can see the large round black head of that screw in the last picture. The front bracket is slightly different with that T shaped opening. Mine had a locking pin that fit through that T shape and then turned 90 degrees so the T would not come back through it was held in that position with a tension spring. The spring was not going to work with the new set up so I had the locking pin re-drilled so that it fit super tight with out a spring (basically moved the cross portion high up the shaft of the pin). If I recall when we installed that one guy and to put all his weight on it to push down the locking pin, while another guy turned the pin with a wrench. It is solid! Lastly, I wish I would have leveled it more, mine is not too bad there is a slight angle to the TM shaft like you said but nothing major. Fishes Great
This was a major undertaking for me, like most I think, I have a family, house upkeep, kids playing sports to attend, life in general. Add to that you and I own old boats, it's not easy to get access underneath or find compatible parts. In order to fish how I want this was going to happen for me because the alternative of buying a newer model was not an option, the whole process took me about 2 months. 2 months I didn't fish but it paid off big time last summer and so far this year. Factor into that shipping of parts and fabrication of the plate and new locking pin. Again all well worth it and I am proud of MY upgrade, plus face it that old Motor Guide was/is garbage. Hope this helps

When I removed my old TM my rear bracket was held on by a threaded stainless screw. You can see the large round black head of that screw in the last picture. The front bracket is slightly different with that T shaped opening. Mine had a locking pin that fit through that T shape and then turned 90 degrees so the T would not come back through it was held in that position with a tension spring. The spring was not going to work with the new set up so I had the locking pin re-drilled so that it fit super tight with out a spring (basically moved the cross portion high up the shaft of the pin). If I recall when we installed that one guy and to put all his weight on it to push down the locking pin, while another guy turned the pin with a wrench. It is solid! Lastly, I wish I would have leveled it more, mine is not too bad there is a slight angle to the TM shaft like you said but nothing major. Fishes Great
This was a major undertaking for me, like most I think, I have a family, house upkeep, kids playing sports to attend, life in general. Add to that you and I own old boats, it's not easy to get access underneath or find compatible parts. In order to fish how I want this was going to happen for me because the alternative of buying a newer model was not an option, the whole process took me about 2 months. 2 months I didn't fish but it paid off big time last summer and so far this year. Factor into that shipping of parts and fabrication of the plate and new locking pin. Again all well worth it and I am proud of MY upgrade, plus face it that old Motor Guide was/is garbage. Hope this helps

Same issue for me, I had Cabela's fabricate a mounting plate, which they made from boat hull material. Then I used the Xi5 Quick Release bracket (highly recommend) bolted on top. I did not use the brackets that were on the boat originally. To compensate for the height difference, they used spacers between the bolts and the mounting plate, with rubber washers to reduce vibration. Another tip-if you are switching to a 24V motor, use a better plug and receptacle than the little one up front. I went with the Marinco 70A plug and receptacle https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/marinco-70a-3-wire-trolling-motor-plug-or-receptacle, as the old one kept getting hot and melting the wires. Let me know if you want pics of my setup, I am very happy with it.

If you could send me so pics that would be cool. And thanks for the plug info. I'll differently upgrade that.

Here are a few photos, sorry but the boat's been covered the last few days since we have heavy winds and rain here in Kansas. This is a Motorguide 24v 80 lb. thrust with a 48" shaft. Works great, But because it hangs over the bow so far, I have to use the winch the last couple of feet to get it on the trailer otherwise I risk banging it on the roller.

Attachments

• 20220423_102828.jpg
    20220423_102828.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220423_102920.jpg
    20220423_102920.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220423_102909.jpg
    20220423_102909.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220423_102905.jpg
    20220423_102905.jpg