Mount and trolling

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFishFinder

Reaction score
Hello i needed some help with my boat.
I purchased a nitro 700 lx last year and took it on the water and had a blast.
The biggest lake near me is a recreational lake and every time i go there are tons of boats and jetskis which make it hard for me to fish comfortably, Just non stop waves and hard to find a quite spot.
I have some smaller lakes near me but they have limits on the motor they allow being used. I have a 90 hp mercury and i would like to add a smaller outboard, The stern of the boat looks cured and doesnt look like it would accept a regular mount. I wanted to ask if it is possible to add a second outboard to my boat?

Also i have a 55 thrust minn kota trolling motor and when i took it on the recreational lake it dident seem to help much, and im not sure if it is because of the wake from the other boats pushing against my and making it harder for me to move?

Im planning on taking it on the smaller lake near me, they only allow electric motors and they said i can use my trolling motor.
I would hate to get on the lake and find out im having the same issue. From what i read 55lb thrust should be enough and i wouldnt need to think about more unless maybe i plan to use it on that large recreational lake.

Hope i gave enough information on my issues and hope you guys can help.
Thanks

I think it would be pretty tough to add a "kicker" motor to yhe back.

They do make [i think Minkota) an electric trolling motor that mounts on the back of the boat motor, may give you more thrust when using your trolling motor.

I feel 55lb is about Minimum for your boat but should hold your position. 80+ would be better.

I agree that the 55lb is a little light for trolling and your boat. Here's the thing, forward trolling is almost impossible with a bow mounted electric that doesn't have auto-pilot functions to compensate for wind, waves and torque steer. Bass boats like yours have a higher bow that acts as a sail in the wind and keel that acts like a rudder when waves catch it. Also, you don't get a lot better forward trolling steering with a rear mounted motor (unless you can back-troll which is crazy on a low back like a bass boat). With my auto-pilot bow-mount Ghost motor I can choose a way-points on my graph, cursor point on graph for exact course or set heading-lock by direction (doesn't compensate for wind drift, just compass heading) and it will go there without my interference by steering, other motor brands have contour-following ( boat transducer stays above a set depth which is great for trolling the edges of weed-lines) auto-pilot settings which I hope would be included in an upcoming download update. To manually steer with a lot of course altering things like waves and wind means a a lot of work steering when you could be fishing. The added benefit of anchor mode on new auto-pilot motors is fantastic for trolling, when you catch a fish you just hit the anchor button on the foot pedal and you boat stops and stays exactly where it is regardless of wind, waves or current. They also have other features such as set and remember way-point to revisit the exact same location again and the life-saver man-overboard location feature, which would be great if you are caught in a storm or at night and someone or something falls out of the boat. Drop a rod overboard, just hit the man-overboard to mark the spot and troll around it with a big treble hook until you snag it off the bottom. If you want to troll fish invest in the equipment that best suits that type of fishing. Plus! Extra safety tip when on auto-pilot and alone set the ARRIVAL mode to ANCHOR in case you fall off the boat and at the end of the route it will stop the boat at the last waypoint rather than drift away and you can set waypoints to retrace the path you took so your boat will come back to you eventually. Otherwise, fish with a friend.

Latest posts

Back