Trailer rims

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Anyone know a good place to shop for traielr rims online? I want to replace my chrome wheels on my trailer with aluminum ones. The chrome ones on mine is starting to rust badly and look like crap. I cant even polish the rust out, its under the clear coat.

Im thining of checking with my dealer and see about a set of factory ones that were optional for my 882 becaue they match my truck's pretty good but if that dosent work want to find some without tires already mounted. I checked champion trailers and they dont have anything i liked.

If you have chrome rims and leave it out...they will rust. Of course I keep mine in the garage and hit em' every once in awhile with Turtle wax chrome polish and they still look new after 4 seasons. Jim...I don't think they are clear coated...at least mines not.

I guess you could have em' sand blasted and paint with some POR 15 or something similar:)

Tee, i know that chrome rusts. And i knew it was only a matter of time before mine did. The boat is 5 years old and i do leave it outside. Mine are clear clated for sure, its flaking off one rim and rusted underneath on the other two. I dont think they clearcoated the ones on the tin boats, on a friend of mines 185 they werent either.

i intend to replace them with aluminum so i never hadve to deal with it again, i just need to find a source. I like the modular ones that overtons sells but i dont need the tires that come with them.

In-line with TEE's idea, if rusted too bad, sandblast and have them powder coated silver or something. The powder coating is supposed to be some tough stuff from what I hear.

I'm having the same issue and was considering replacing my rims as well.

Greg - What sort of money would sandblasting and powder coating 2 rims run into?

Thanks

Paul

I wish I had an answer for you on cost, but I've never looked into it. If you have a custom paint shop (cars/motorcycles) close by they should be able to quote you a price. The pic below shows the spare tire and rim I bought through Tracker Marine out of Nashville. The rim is silver painted, as I didn't really want a chrome rim on my spare.
sparecable3.JPG

Lemme "rephrase" that Jim:) Most good chrome left outside will NOT rust BUT, since Tracker must have them chromed in China or Taiwan...they do:(

Tee, the funny part is the one thats rusted the worst is an aftermarket one i got at overtons that is only 3 years old. the two originals arent that bad yet....

Mine are originals, 4 years old, and they are rusted pretty bad. I haven't tried cleaning them up yet but I suspect that they are beyond cleaning this year.

Dennis i think the rim is 14x6 the tires are 215/75 14.

Jim,

That should be a pretty common rim size. I would go to a reputable tire shop in your area; they should be able to offer you a variety of styles in aluminum. If you buy from them a lot of times they will mount the tires for free & you won't have to pay the shipping charge to get them to your house; which is usually inflated because of there packaging. I did the same thing for my racecar trailer & will do the PT185
http://www.americanracing.com/wheel...62&desc=1-piece alloy, clear coated&section=A

my rims rusted in the first season, i spoke with tracker and they stated they do not warrenty rims for rust.

i also looked into aluminum replacements, when i first looked at this board some one was selling for nitro aluminum rims, i wish i took two of them.

GregD

Jim B, depending on the size you have, I would be interested in buying one for a spare if you get rid of them.

Let me know.

I'd maybe even find the same bolt pattern on some mag wheels:)?

Mag wheels as in cragers s/s???

um no..........

All ya gotta do is wax em' once in a while and they won't rust. My spare gets dunked every time I put the boat in the water and it's a painted rim (I'm cheap too!!), no rust in 2 years, looks brand new.

And let me say again....put tire dressing on those tires and they will last twice as long.

TOXIC

Tox these rims have been waxed monthly since day 1 and still they rust.

They should be 5 X 4.5 lug pattern (ford car or ranger) wheels will fit you can get them anywhere.

BF

Lol at Tox, no more mothers paste for me i guess.

Turtle Wax Chrome Polish removes any rust and coats the rim and last a couple of months. I use it on my boat and truck...and I've got a lot of chrome:)

Tee once again my wheels are clear coated so chrome polish is more or less useless on them. If they werent clear coated it wouldnt be an issue because i could polish it off.

Dennis, those are exactly what im looking for i think. i was thinking of going with the factory ones if the cost isnt too great but if i cant thats the exact style i want. It looks like they got for about 75 bucks a peice online.

Latest posts

Back