Stereos in Bass Boats...What's Your Opinion?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
What's ya'lls opinion on having stereos in bass boats? I've always been against it because when I'm bass fishing I'm there to get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life and I love the peacefulness of being on the lake. However, when I'm out on the lake with the family tubing I wouldn't mind having one.

Do any of you have one on your boat?

I have one and would not have a boat without one. Don't use it much but, it not only is great when your not fishing...I can also get weather reports and such.

I went cheap and sounds great.

Two friend have Sirus Radios installed in theirs and love them. They use them all the time except when fishing.

Randy!

I put one in mine..mainly for the family and when just riding around. I also use it to keep up with the radio.. Once I win the lottery I want to get one of the garmin finders that can do the XM weather that overlays the NEXRAD radar for your area on the GPS mapping screen! Now THAT is SLICK!

I had one in my last boat and i wish there was place to put one in my z7 without having to do some seroius cutting. I used mine all the time when not fishing and sometimes while fishing. Having it on on a busy lake didnt seem to make a difference in catch rataio at all. My friend Dave and I more then once cranked it up when the fishing was bad only to have it turn right on after the radio was turned on. For some reason it only worked with Jimmi Hendrix and we called my Hendrix collection the Jimmy lure.

Dennis,

One of the planes we have in my squadron has the Garmin which you speak of, but the aviation version. The weather overlay is awsome, it downloads from the sat every minute or so. I would highly recommend one for big water boating.

Eric

I have a battery powered iPod player that i carry with me. I have access to over 300 CD's or podcasts from NPR. I've considered installing an in-dash stereo but it's a little further down on the list.

I have one in mine. I don't use it much while bass fishing, but I do like it when panfishing.

Gene

I have a Sirus Radio in mine but haven't used it much. I don't listen to music much, it interfers with the voices that I hear in my head.

fatrap

Had one in my 170TF and loved it. I seemed to catch more bass when Metallica or AC/DC was playing. Them basses must like heavy metal sparkles!!:D

Thanks for all of the input. I heard a guy talking about installing one in his rodbox so that it's out of plain sight. He said you can buy infrared remote controls and operate it that way. Sounds like a cool idea. Anyone ever seen that?

TNBass

I made a mount out of 1/8" aluminum and bent it on a 90 and mounted it to the plate and the plate is attached under the console , mounted to the side with screws, I put the speakers in the rod lockers.

TNBass - may be some type of 'remote', but I doubt that infra-red is going to go through a solid object. IR is 'line of sight', unless I'm mistaken. :wacko:

Tex

I don't have one in this boat nor have I had one in any boat I've owned. I'm not only out there to catch fish, or rather used to be out there catching fish, but also to enjoy the day, pleasant company and conversation, and the beauty of the surrounding nature. A radio, at least to me, infringes on all of that and quite truthfully is nerve-racking at its best. I've had some beautiful mornings on some of the small lakes in Delaware. Sun just coming up, water like crystal and then another boat cruising up lake toward me with a &*&%%$U* radio or CD cranked up to an ungodly decibel level that destroys any inner peace one may have had and without any thought to what other's may think.:eek:

I mean no offense to anyone who wants to listen to music while in their boat. It's just not for me that's all, and I would wish that they would show some consideration for other's that may be sharing the same water! Ok, let me have it.:huh::unsure:

Uncle Billy

I have a Bose remote for my system at home and it works through walls up to 200 ft away.

TNBass

I have a Bose remote for my system at home and it works through walls up to 200 ft away

Yep thats because the Bose remotes on the lifestyle systems use radio frequency(RF) not infra-red or IR. RF can travel thru walls etc, IR is line of sight.

I put one in my 1999 700LX. I followed the format that Michael Trepper posted in the projects pages and added the XM Radio to it. I like listening to sports, especially a good NFL game, while fishing. If you have a 700LX and want to add a stereo, his posting is the way to do it.

I ordered my 929 DC with a stereo, but it was always losing signals on the lakes I fish, so I installed a XM about five years ago and I love it. I don't even buy a new car or truck unless it has XM. Later<>< <>< <> <>< <>< Jack

I have one in my 640LX. I just mounted an old AMFM on the right lower side of my console and the speakers at the front step like Treppers, in fact I was the one who cut the holes in Treps boat. I use it when I'm claening the boat and for weather. Once in a while I listen to it on the water. I like it.

Dan

Love listening to the local chit chat and the garage sale on the air etc. relaxing would not be without one

Got one 2 years ago from my Mom as a birthday present - CD/Stereo/Weather Band - LOVE IT!! Boat is a dual console so its out of the way, put a CD in or turn on a good station and off we go! Kids love it when we tube, swim, and cruise. At first I only used it prepping the boat at the ramp, and LOVE the Nitro fishing song someone posted a few years ago (i'll have to find it online again). But then Dan and I found out listening to classic rock got the bass in the mood, and we actualy in a deep lake do better it seems with the music ON, I don't know if its the soothing music that lets us focus and feel the bites, but definetly doesn't effect the fish.

Yup I let Dan cut holes in my boat, that way if it was messed up I could blame him!!! LOL!! It came out very well, looks great, sounds excellent and on a rainy/cold day I can sit in the boat and jam!!

Can't wait to get back to the US and get her rockin!!

Found the link in the archives, don't know if it still works as a lot of URLs don't work from China :)

http://breakingwater01.com/media/07_Track_7.wma

I had am AM/FM Cassette player in my tracker because it kept my partner from trying to sing. Now I just use my Walkman.... is that funny or what, and smack him with a crank bait if he sings louder than the radio....LOL

BF

I had am AM/FM Cassette player in my tracker because it kept my partner from trying to sing. Now I just use my Walkman.... is that funny or what, and smack him with a crank bait if he sings louder than the radio....LOL

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol: Ok, maybe I was wrong about radios in a boat?:lol::lol: Especially in regard to singing.:eek: But, a Walkman or CD Walkman is a great idea. Then you can do whatever you want without irritating anyone else around you!

put a CD in or turn on a good station and off we go!

If any of you really believe what Trepper is telling you, I have a bridge I want to sell you!:p I'm sure his kids love it, but there is no way in the world Michael can be quiet enough in a boat to hear a radio!!;):lol::lol::lol:

Michael, why don't a "lot of URLs from China work"?? They HAVE to work unless there's a major censorship and/or blacklist problem don't they??

Uncle Billy

Billy - Beka is ROTFLHAO on your "no way in the world Michael can be quiet enough in a boat to hear a radio!!" LOL

OK yes, they doesave a huge censorship/control from the government. They have over 50,000 gov't employee's whos sole job is to monitor internet traffic/sites/email... and ensure the what the locas (and us in country) are reading/sending is appropriate. So no wikipedia.com, if any sites like Google/CNN/Yahoonews... have anti-china articles they are blocked... same with Utube and others on a regular basis...

We are not in Kansas anymore Toto!!! LOL

Check this URL out, but I can't - seriously, wikipedia is not allowed in china :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_People's_Republic_of_China

Nope, never had one, never will. Personal preference and my opinion only. For those that have them, enjoy. They have their place on pleasure craft but my boat is a fishing boat...period. Brittney Spears singing "TOXIC" would only serve to distract me!!:lol: Because I fish a senko so much, I need to concentrate (wanna be a better senko fisherman....take note). When I fish a senko I block out everything around me, I am centered on the senko...the fall....the line (2 places)....the bottom...wind...and waves. In my mind, I have a kind of split screen image going on. One side is all of the above items and the other is actually visualizing the senko falling through the water column. Sice a lot of senko bites are subtle, I think it improves my hookup ratio.

TOXIC

When I'm fishing...it's NOT on.

When I'm restng,eating,need to hear local weather...it IS on.

Not everybody blasts their radios anyway;)

Tox,

You are so right about fishing a Senko. I fish em about 90% of the time. I use Power Pro braid and swear I can feel a fish breathe on it. I don't like them on windy, big wave days because I'm to disconnected from feeling the bait!

Bob G.

HEY JIM, GOT TO GET ONE OF THOSE 'JIMMY LURES'....LOVE HENDRIX. GREW UP WITH HIS MUSIC....KENNY

Im with Fatrap,

I wouldnt be able to hear the voices in my head :lol::lol:

Good one Fatrap.

Seirously, Im with Uncle Billy on this one. however if Im out there all day and not catching, An Ipod is a good idea. I have also heard that the radios will drain your battery pretty good????? Im not sure.

Mark

All,

Actually the music calms Trepper, like the "music calms the beast", especially if he like the song. FIB is his favoite song, ha ha ha Trep.

Dan

OHH Dan,that was LOW my friend!!!

And Beka's friend from highschool (40 and has 2 teenage twin boys) starts playing on her ipod for me "hey, your a crazy b#^#%..." LOL I took our the CD you burned me, and played her that one, I did NOT play FIB though!!

Hey Tee,

I agree, not EVERYONE blasts their radio but enough do to ruin it for just about everyone who likes to listen to a radio.. There is a beautiful little lake in Delaware.

It's privately owned by a private school. Right at their ramp, which they built and paid for there is a big sign that states NO OUTBOARD MOTORS, PERIOD. Neither for on-loading or offloading your boat. NO FISHING IN THE DESIGNATED CREW LANES. And no RADIOS, CD's or any LOUD NOISE AT ALL UNTIL 9 a.m. Then, printed in the brochures that are right there at the ramp: We open the ramp at 5:00 a.m. for the pleasure of you Fisherman, BUT, please respect the early hour and KEEP YOUR RADIOS OFF, NOT TURNED DOWN BUT OFF until later in the day. We also wish your conversations be kept somewhat quiet and when you hook one of our giant Large Mouth Bass, you bite your tongue and not scream. At least not until after 9 a.m.

We have students trying to get what little sleep they're allotted.

If these rules can't be followed, and we don't think they're strict at all, we will have to close the lake altogether.. Thank You, **** *******, Dean of Students.

Then two weeks ago I got an e-mail explaining that the lake was closed until further notice. He didn't tell me why but I knew he had been having problems at the lake. He told me to call him in a couple of weeks and he would explain and maybe open up to selected anglers who would be given special Lake Permits. Any others would be subject to arrest. I would reveal the name of the lake but was asked not to..

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back