Finally got it on the water. What do you think?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CincyGus

Reaction score
Oh what a journey it's been. Sold my 2020 175txw back in March and ordered a new 2023 Targa V19-200hp. Got a call May 10th saying it had shipped and would likely be ready by the 15th. Hurt my back and limped in to pick it up on the 19th since I had dropped off a New Garmin Force, 4 Ionic Batteries for the TM and House batteries, A 4 bank Minn Kota Charger and a Garmin 106SV to all be installed. Drove it home and parked it in the driveway. 3 months later in the middle of August had Fusion surgery at L4-L5. I've been working my butt off, walking every day, gradually building back strength and stamina in what I could tolerate and do after the 3 months of atrophy of my muscles. Trip planned for a Lake trip to Green River Lake in Ky. since before I ordered the boat was the goal. Well I made it with the help of my wonderful nurse/wife and my daughter and a few of her friends. Was there for half the week with just the wife and the second half with the entire group of 7. Put the boat in the water and did the break in on last Monday without a hitch. Had a slip in the marina which was a blessing, not having to retrieve and launch the boat each day. Boat ran great, everything worked as it should. Not a drop of water out of the drain plug when I pulled it after 6 days of running around the lake. I had a grin like the Joker in the Batman movies most of the week. So here's some information and some questions.

Boat has a 14x19 Enertia prop with the 1.75 torquemaster gearcase. WOT by myself was 5620 and 51mph loaded for fishing which is the way I will be loading it 80% of the time. Loaded for watersports with 6 people, WOT was 5200 and 46mph top speed. WOT Operating range is listed as 5600-6200.
Frankly, I'm very happy with that performance under both conditions (by myself and loaded for tubing or skiing). The hole shot was scary to passengers (and myself initially the first 3-4 times). Boat jumps up like a rocket at about a 25 degree angle and then settles quickly onto plane as I start to trim up.

I've read, mostly in forums, things that make me think that I am likely under propped and and might be better with a 17p which would likely push my RPM's up 300-400 to 5900 and 5500 respectively. I'm not sure what I would expect speed wise with that change. Mercury prop selector suggests a 3 blade Tempest Plus in both the 14.625x17p and 14.625x19p when entered in at the 5600RPM/51MPH level. Suggests the 3 blade Tempest Plus in the 14.625x17p when RPM's are entered in at the 5200RPM/46MPH

• Would the increased RPM's make up for the drop in pitch and it be a wash in top speed?
  • If I make no changes to the prop and run in the bottom and run below the listed optimal operating RPM is that something that could cause damage or excessive wear on the engine?

I'm leaning towards either no changes or the 17p Tempest plus if I do make a change as I'm expecting the larger diameter would somewhat mitigate the drop in pitch. Dropping a little holeshot performance or a few MPH in top speed. My main concern is that I've got the engine operating in a range that will maximize it's longevity as this is my retirement boat and hopefully will last me the rest of my boating/fishing career and be passed down to my daughter after I'm gone.

Am I worrying about nothing with the engine on the bottom of the listed RPM range?

Just came across your post. Me personnally, I'd leave it. I feel my new Z19 is on the lower side of the RPM scale and I feel it should have more top end, but im still playing with jack and trim to dial it in. It performs great, seams like when you start messing with different pitch you create a different issue. Lol. Me personnal would not change size of prop, but I have no expereince in that.

Lowering the pitch, yes you'll loose top end, just to gain RPM?

I assume you played with the trim to find the sweet spot?

Oh what a journey it's been. Sold my 2020 175txw back in March and ordered a new 2023 Targa V19-200hp. Got a call May 10th saying it had shipped and would likely be ready by the 15th. Hurt my back and limped in to pick it up on the 19th since I had dropped off a New Garmin Force, 4 Ionic Batteries for the TM and House batteries, A 4 bank Minn Kota Charger and a Garmin 106SV to all be installed. Drove it home and parked it in the driveway. 3 months later in the middle of August had Fusion surgery at L4-L5. I've been working my butt off, walking every day, gradually building back strength and stamina in what I could tolerate and do after the 3 months of atrophy of my muscles. Trip planned for a Lake trip to Green River Lake in Ky. since before I ordered the boat was the goal. Well I made it with the help of my wonderful nurse/wife and my daughter and a few of her friends. Was there for half the week with just the wife and the second half with the entire group of 7. Put the boat in the water and did the break in on last Monday without a hitch. Had a slip in the marina which was a blessing, not having to retrieve and launch the boat each day. Boat ran great, everything worked as it should. Not a drop of water out of the drain plug when I pulled it after 6 days of running around the lake. I had a grin like the Joker in the Batman movies most of the week. So here's some information and some questions.

Boat has a 14x19 Enertia prop with the 1.75 torquemaster gearcase. WOT by myself was 5620 and 51mph loaded for fishing which is the way I will be loading it 80% of the time. Loaded for watersports with 6 people, WOT was 5200 and 46mph top speed. WOT Operating range is listed as 5600-6200.
Frankly, I'm very happy with that performance under both conditions (by myself and loaded for tubing or skiing). The hole shot was scary to passengers (and myself initially the first 3-4 times). Boat jumps up like a rocket at about a 25 degree angle and then settles quickly onto plane as I start to trim up.

I've read, mostly in forums, things that make me think that I am likely under propped and and might be better with a 17p which would likely push my RPM's up 300-400 to 5900 and 5500 respectively. I'm not sure what I would expect speed wise with that change. Mercury prop selector suggests a 3 blade Tempest Plus in both the 14.625x17p and 14.625x19p when entered in at the 5600RPM/51MPH level. Suggests the 3 blade Tempest Plus in the 14.625x17p when RPM's are entered in at the 5200RPM/46MPH

• Would the increased RPM's make up for the drop in pitch and it be a wash in top speed?
  • If I make no changes to the prop and run in the bottom and run below the listed optimal operating RPM is that something that could cause damage or excessive wear on the engine?

I'm leaning towards either no changes or the 17p Tempest plus if I do make a change as I'm expecting the larger diameter would somewhat mitigate the drop in pitch. Dropping a little holeshot performance or a few MPH in top speed. My main concern is that I've got the engine operating in a range that will maximize it's longevity as this is my retirement boat and hopefully will last me the rest of my boating/fishing career and be passed down to my daughter after I'm gone.

Am I worrying about nothing with the engine on the bottom of the listed RPM range?
Agree with Cyco. If you’re happy with your top end speed and everything is running great leave it alone at least for now. Go out and make up some of that lost fishing time now. Give yourself a year and then if you’re not happy with the boat’s performance look into changes.

I ended up having them put it in the top hole which lowered the engine down to where the cavitation plate should be, just above the bottom of the boat. Hopefully that gets the RPM's up a few hundred and more importantly, eliminates the blow outs in turns. I'd give up 5mph if it's running in the 6000-6300rpm range, not blowing out and still jumping on plane. Hopeful that's where I'm at when I get it out this spring. I'll let ya all know.

Latest posts

Back