Potomac Stripers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Despite an early start this morning, I couldn't find the bass. Started out in the Spoils - first boat there at 6am. Water was a bit stained and despite lots of fish popping around, no takers. Headed back towards DC way and managed to find a school of stripers. Nothing legal, but it saved my day! Got about five of them before they moved on (all released to rejoin their buddies). Now if I can only find those other fish!! :D

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

Nice fish, Jim. That looks like my favorite bridge behind you. I've caught them on crankbaits there, what were they hitting today?

Mac - yup, that's the I-295 bridge! Hitting on a shad crank. Went to the back of the cove as well. Nada.

Nice way to "turn a sows ear into a silk purse" Jim! That's taking advantage of what you have with the situation presented. Good job! :D

Nice fish, but don't you catch any bigger ones up there? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lake Norfork, Arkansas - July 2nd.

Arkansas July 2010 052.JPG

Tex

:D Good question TT! We have bigger, but I'm just not that skilled a fisherman! Have to get 'em where I can find them. Last fall on the other hand . . .

Hemby 11-02-2009.JPG

Now that's a little better.

That was my first time fishing for Stipers, and I was really surprised that we didn't get any of the smaller ones at all. Especially since the guide indicated that from his experience both the big un's and the smaller versions, were usually found together.

Tex

Not to many CIII. Kind of surprised. Expected to hit the Spoils and see the usual armada of bass boats. Left the cove around 7:30 and still saw only two others in there. About three or four buzzing by on the main lake. Just not that busy a Sunday (surprisingly!).

Hoping we can get out soon. I hear mike c. wants to show us how to catch snakeheads. I'm ready!! :D:D

You cheated Jim. Those stripe came from Lake Anna!!:lol::lol: When they are running, there are some monsters on the Potomac. As a matter of fact, CIII throws a 2X4 topwater with hooks at them. :lol:

TOXIC

:D You're right Tox! Not only that, but the picture was from last Fall!! Sad testament to the fact that I haven't been out nearly as much. Funny thing is that with the old Tracker, I was out nearly every weekend. With the G3, not so much! Going to try some mid-week hookey and I'll try the Potomac again - probably around DC waters.

We "affectionately" call them Albino Racing Carp around here. :lol: They love to get in the middle of a tournament day. :angry: You're lucky if you can spend a day on the main lake here throwing topwater that your bait isn't destroyed and/or your gear stripped or busted. :blink: They are some tackle-busters of a fight though! :eek:

Jan 2 2005 Stripers.jpg

The morning we spent out on Norfork, no real top water action by stripers was happening. However, we had several boats in our initial area that were landing some nice Hybrid's (gorilla fish) on topwater.

I'd love to go back to Norfork in the spring for some topwater action on these babies!

Nice Dan.

Tex

Dano,..that expression (grimace)on your face reminds me of "Toxic" heading for the throne at 6am!:lol::blink:

caught 4 more snakeheads sunday in only 4 hours...thats 53 so far this year,,, might break last years record at this rate...

mike c

I've never caught one. I may have to hook up with you for a striper trip one of these times I'm down that way. My brother in law wants to upgrade his electrical service....Hmmm ;)

Gene

Here are a few of the Allatoona ones from Eli and I:

2009 Sept 6 Eli Striper for web.jpg

2009 Dec 12 Striper for web.jpg

Dan, i about fell out of my chair with that picture! Nice fish, but man, you look like you are in pain HAHAHHAHA

Dang Mike, I am still at ZERO snakeheads! Where from and did you see the house that caught fire?

Nice fish Trep, you all chow down??

:lol::lol::lol:

Youse guys is cracking me up!! :lol: Quick note on that pic. My neighbor was "dying" to get on some stripers so I ran him out one morning before he had to work at the post office. We ran up the cove and quickly popped two overs (2 - 22" and above here legal limit, 10 aggregate per) and ran back so he could "get moving to work". He then burned up a half hour or more taking pics of the doggone things! :wacko: After a couple dozen lifts and hold it poses, I was wore down to "1,2,3, lift, click". :eek: That was my favorite pic so I saved it. :lol:

Here's Joey's first striper:

Thursday Average Dock Striper!.JPG

carlos,

i saw the house... suprised at how much is still standing, i guessed it would a foundation only fire.... i am catching snakeheads everywhere i go.. i am getting pretty damn good at being able to tell them apart from bass and bluegill when they pop the surface, i caught all 4 on one cast and before i even moved my bait....

mike c

mike c - still need you to show me how to get those buggers! :D

Jim

Jim - You are right. Hemby was at it again. 17+ pounds. Biggest I have caught on the lake. One of the best guides you would want to meet. Live bait only. You can go out with him at zero dark early to catch the baitfish if you like. What an experience

Latest posts

Back