Yup...headed back to Nationals

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Let me start off by giving thanks and credit to God, without him it wouldn't have been possible and the story will once again prove it!

Also let me say that Sebago lake in SW Maine is a very beautiful lake, wonderful resort, nice people, fishery......not so much!!!

Got there Saturday around 2pm and had to buy a milfoil sticker for a lake that already has milfoil. ??? Once you got it....you got it! Anyway we spent 3 1/2 days hauling water during practice. No weeds, tons of structure and a very tough bite. But like I told my wife before I left (as was the case when I won in NH in '08) when we travel to a lake that is very tough, I always do well.

I located what I thought to be 3 individual largemouth on 3 seperate docks. A pattern that never fails me anywhere in the country at any time of year.

Our team was really unified this year and included some very strong anglers. Including Bobby Williams a former Classic qualifier and touring Bassmaster pro. Tom Luciano, Ryan Latinville (a young but defending state and divisional champ) Dan Murphy from NJ to name a few.

Day 1: Ran to my 1st spot and promptly caught a quality keeper. Co caught a nice one then I caught another nice keeper so fast we had to use the net with his fish still in it to get mine. Then back around just in time to see a hog go under a dock. Couldn't get him to bite. Ran across the bay hauled water only to come back and catch the hog on the 1st cast back on the spot. (Being intentionally vague about spots for the sake of future teams that may fish here)

Then ran to spot 2 where I had had a 4 lber try to eat a 6" smallie I had on in practice. Suffice it to say, I never got that fish to bite all tourney long! Think someone plucked him.

Ran to my final spot of day 1 to another dock I had shaken a fish the day before. Very quickly caught my 4th fish, another solid fish for that lake. I then ran back to spot 1 for nothing. Then went to weedy bay my co wanted to try and lost a 1 1/2 lber on a frog. With an hour to go I ran back to final spot and with 1/2 hr to go felt my line tighten up. Thought maybe the boat drifted but then realized the boat was drifting towards the dock! Pulled back to find I was snagged.....of maybe not. The snag started swimming. At first I thought I had to have a carp or catfish because it was way to big to be a bass. Then realized that Sebago has neither species and as the fish ran towards a lower unit pulled him up enough to see the 6-7 lber spit my bait! :eek::wacko::angry::eek:

Never got him to bite again!

Weighed in 4 fish for 10 lbs 14 oz, 2nd place to Ryan who had NOT prefished but only showed up the night before to register and fished from the back of someone else's boat. A testament to the kid's skills. He is only 20. Had run out of my go to senko and the only way to get them was the guys on my team put together 14 in a bag for me. Just enough as it would turn out.

Day 2: Ran back to my "pig" dock from day 1 which was only 1/2 mile from take off and my co promptly catches a 3 1/2! Damn! Kept grinding away all day for 4 fish. On fish number 4 I feel a heavy thump and set the hook. The fish immediately runs me into the prop of a moored boat. Somehow I managed to get him out. He then ran into my trolling motor prop. Got him out of there then and he's bogged in the weeds way under my boat. NO WAY I should have landed that fish, but God had other plans and I boated the 4 lber! Ran to a boulder on an island and lost a 1 1/2 lber again!!!!

Weighed in 4 fish AGAIN but this time only 9 lbs 1 oz to take the lead for NY by just under 2 lbs and 9th overall in the tourney.

Day 3: Woke up to 35 degrees and wind all day! Boat #4 out of launch and 1 minute later I was at my dock. I was sure my dock was fished out....I was right! Never got a bite there. Ran 1/2 way down the lake to a smallie flat I hadn't been to all week and got my 1st keeper - a squeaker 13" smallie.

Ran back to my bay but worked the other shore of docks and got a 1 3/4 largie. Turns out that those 2 fish would have been enough for me to win the state, but I wasn't done. I promptly fell in the water! Yup, @$$ over tea kettle into the lake and my 6'5" 400 lb co who delivers kegs for a living reaches down 1 handed and yanked me into the boat.

Called the tourney director and got approval to go change into what little dry clothes I had which included white socks in flip flops. ;)

Then as I came back out past the 5 boats fishing released fish just outside the off limits I figured about where the released fish would stage going back to my kicker bay.

I got 2 fish that went about 3 lbs each and then AS I was singing the senkos praises to my co I felt that thump again and nailed a 4 lb 2 oz kicker. But he had a 5-6 lb buddy under him that I never got to bite.

Anyway, finally weighed a limit (2nd largest of the day) on a day when most struggled and moved up to 4th overall and top of my state. Missed Ranger cup by 1 oz! Had I landed all fish I had on the line, I would have won, got lunker, Ranger cup, and Cabelas cash. But that's fishing.

Anyway, hope to do y'all proud at nationals this coming year!

I'm ready to roll...LOL Great story, especially the falling in the lake part.... From now on you ARE NO LONGER "ONE-BROW"... You are "Keg LaMoist"....

Too cool... Congrats... This time we find 'em... no Army Corps to screw up the bite and you take out the whole crowd...

Good story Rob. Hey!m When was this tournament? Water kind of cold? Get a little shriveled?:rolleyes:

fatrap

Congrats Rob!

I looked for your name on the FLW list for the Champlain tourney this past weekend. Senkos won that tourney.

I once fell off of the boat as a co-angler in a club tourney. Was a long wet ride home that day. I now keep an extra set of clothes in my truck until I winterize my boat.

Great story! Looking forward to the next chapter!

Tox,

Any color so long as it's baby bass! I really only throw 3 colors - baby bass, natural shad, and green pumpkin. Occassionally I'll throw black, black/blue, watermelon, or black with red fleck, but those are rare occassions. I rarely if ever found a time and/or body of water where baby bass won't work. This time they really seemed to like chartreuse in the mix so I was dipping just the very tips of each end in spike it.

Upgraded from 8 lb to 10 lb pline fluroclear since I was fishing docks exclusively. They have no zebra mussles there which is nice! I did catch 2 of my day 1 keepers on green pumpkin.

When I got back I worked for FLW as a press boat and on Sunday, guess who my assignment was....yup the man himself Gary Yamamoto. It's deja vu all over again! This time last year the senko saved my rear and I was able to tell him personally about it.

Be sure to watch the Champlain event on VS because you will see a new technique for the senko that Gary used to get some nice bites days 1 & 2. 24 lbs on day 1....

And for the record I wish I didn't weigh as much as a keg but I weigh exactly the same....185 but add in tourney shirt, Ranger hoodie, Ranger winter jacket over jeans and 100 mph bibs, 2 pairs of socks, shoes and about 50 lbs worth of water trapped inside and I'm betting I was tipping well over 250!

day 2

http://www.nitroowners.com/~library...4068925_128889258924_8254839_1749382444_n.jpg

They don't call me LaMoist for nuthin! Couldn't help it, I was excited it.

Nah, that's typical trying to play goalie getting your fish out of the livewell at the docks! Think that's bad you should have seen me after I fell in. I think the only part of me that WAS dry was my crotch. Good though, cause I hate wet underwear when I'm fishing! Other times....they're OK but not when fishing!

good job & a good thing you fell in now instead of a month from now - would have made for a very cold day... great job on finding a pattern I fished a Lake George Open last week with my friend Chris who knows Tom well & we talked about the tournament - he had a tough time figuring it out.

Mark

Latest posts

Back