Home from Dodge Nitro Rally on G'Ville!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Well i'm back home after 3 days fishing with Frank, Dennis and Justin! What a GREAT Father's Day Weekend!

Turns out each of us tows our Nitro's with Dodge V8s! 3 of them with Rams, 2 with desiels, and of course my Hemi Magnum.

I started out Thurs night with Dinner with Beka, and then Fri AM we (thats Beka too!) launched in the heavy fog at 6AM. She was a trooper! First time on the lake and we didn't do great, I only got 1 into the boat, but the first one was a nice 2lb keeper on a buzzbait, was nice to have my wife in the boat to see me hook it, watch it jump and land it! First fish on G'ville and its a keeper! (so is she!). Notice Mac she's wearing the hat you did for her 7 years ago, and using the rod with the handle you did! We met Dennis at the ramp as we were pulling out, he headed out for some exploring.

She left at noon for a week with her Sister & Mom, just as Frank and Justin showed up at Creekstone. Then Frank and I headed back out in my boat and helped Justin launch. it was HOT!!! Frank got a nice keeper on a jig off the weedline/ledge, and I wasen't getting any bites in the afternoon. We met up with Justin on the water, he tells us of a spot he just left after catching 30 fish, but none were keepers, but we decided we needed some action. So we headed to the spot and sure enough in the next 2 hours we each caught 10+ fish, all in the 13-14 inch 1+ lb range, GREAT action!.

We then met Dennis and Justin at the lodge, and headed for a nice dinner at Ruby Tuesday to get to know each other and plan Saturday. We launched Saturday 5AM (Frank and I in my boat, Justin in his boat and Dennis in his), game plan - Fish till 2pm, $10 each in the pot only big fish bragging rights! we fished top water early and NO bites, but the lake was PACKED with tourney and pre-fishing (FLW is there next weekend, saw LOTS of wrapped boats), so we decided to hit the schoolies for some action, I landed 5 fish on the first 7 casts. 10+ fish later we decided to look for the big ones, and headed up a creek, and BAM the storm came in with SERIOUS lightining (i'll let Dennis and Justin post on what they did) we were stupid and fished through it, and Frank lost 2 nice ones in the weeds. I got my first keeper on a swimbait, then followed up with a short fish on a jig, then decided with 1 hour left I needed to try again on the 10 inch paddle worm, and felt the line get heavy and set the hook, Frank netted her and she was nice an legal (16 inches), we met up with Dennis as he came in to Mud Creek, he didn't have a fish, so I figured I had a chance again to win! Well we wait for Justin to get there, and that young boy had a NICE fish! And just after he left us towards the ramp Dennis nails a nice keeper. So we weigh in, Dennis and I tied exactly at 2lbs 12oz on the rapala scale and Justin kills us with a 5+lb LM!

Sent Justin and Frank on their way, and Dennis and I fished Sat evening out of my boat, we hit the schoolies again for a while and then nothing so headed for Mexican and sleep. Up this AM at 4:30am and launched with Dennis's boat. he SCHOOLED me this morning! He nailed them on crank baits and the mouse in weeds. I didn't have any good weedless frogs/mice so borrowed Dennis's and got to see what they mean when they say you need 65lb braid to haul a fish out of cover!!! We didn't get any huge fish, but Dennis got the first keeper, the most keepers and the biggest! I got a few short fish and 1 keeper. Great weekend with great new friends, and home safely and TIRED!

I had a few firsts on this trip: First G'ville fish (Buzzbait) and a keeper to boot, First fish (and keeper) on a 10inch worm, First topwater fish IN heavy weeds with 65lb braid!

I hope everyone else had a great time, we gotta do this again in the fall!!!

Pic's up shortly

Trep

Here's Beka at 6AM in the fog ready to go:

2010 June 18 Beka at ramp.jpg

Trep's first fish:

2010 June 18 first Gville fish.jpg

Frank's first fish:

2010 June Gvill Frank Keeper.jpg

Dennis, Trep, and Justin with keepers on Saturday, that picture does NOT do justice to Justin's 5lb+ fish:

201 gville Fish with Nitro.jpg

Glad ya'll had a great time,that was me Sat,right before you got to the big bridge!I got four fish between 3-3.5lbs off the 1/2oz edgebuster spinnerbait0moved up the river and caught alot more fish but they were short(all off the blade)then slung a blade off my prop and I was done--ended with 4 fish at around 10 lbs,not good for the big G-on the first day we had a guy weigh in 5 fish for 22.22lbs and he had 16 on day two!!Somebody had a great two days!!!

Kacee - Glad you got some fish, SORRY about the prop! WOW 22.22lbs there are HUGE fish I know in that lake!

Lamar - Beka and I ate lunch there on Friday, very friendly folks, good food and prices, the sauce is a bit bland by our taste, not spicy enough for my palate, but a good place and RIGHT next to the ramp!

Lookit all those pasty white legs...you guys need to get out more!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Glad you had a good time..........and caught some greenfish.

TOXIC

Those are legs under Trep? I thought someone dropped some toothpicks!

What a great site this is! We had 4 guys from across the south together, ages from 24 to 50's, 3 states, 4 different background, all with a common thread - Nitro owners who fish and looking to have a great time!

Now if we can get a rally together at Dale Hollow;)

Dem ain't stems on Trep....Dem's toothpicks!:lol:

Lamar - Beka and I ate lunch there on Friday, very friendly folks, good food and prices, the sauce is a bit bland by our taste, not spicy enough for my palate, but a good place and RIGHT next to the ramp!

They changed the sauce a couple of years ago. Used to have three to choose from and the hot was HOT. I agree......the current sauce is a bit bland. Wish they would go back to the old ways.

Sounds like you had a great time,.....that's cool!! Nothing beats fishing with friends and family!! Mini and I fished Sat and Sunday in 2 different t's...but we fished together on Sunday in the "Monster Quest-2" put on by KD Outdoors and LunchMoney Lures. AWESOME Event.....

Here's a cool pix of us fishing, just before we had to come in to set up for the weigh-in. I want a hi-res copy of that for my man-cave wall.;) (Mini's on the bow,..I'm in the back!)

3.JPG

Mac - who are those guys behind Mini fishing his sh$t??? LOL

Trep,

Great pics!! Glad youse guys had a good time!!

Had a great time. Like Trep said, four guys fishing, why would you expect anything else?? You could catch the 10-14 inch all day long. The bigger fish were scattered. Still the ones we brought in were great. Justin did get a nice one. And the lure selection between us all varied greatly. The Sat. rain storm did cool thing down, weather wise. Most days were in mid-to-upper 90's (hot,hot,and more hot), but after the rain it was high 80's. I managed to dodge the rain by watching the sky and alerting to my lighting detector. I took shelter in a huge on the water barge gararge. At one time there must have been 20-25 boats under cover in the garage. Like I said great time, I will do it again.

Dennis

We had a great time and I enjoyed meeting the other guys. Friday was a blast like Trep said I caught around 30. It started out slow but I called my dad and he told me about the spot. Its a place he used to catch em about 15 years ago. I caught 2 on the same cast. Ive never seen bass school like that. Saturday started kind of slow and there were boats everywhere. Around 8 am I found a flat that nobody was on so I hit it. On my fourth cast at that spot something hammered my crankbait. I thought I had a giant but it turned out to be a 10 lb drum. The storm rolled in and I went to the ramp to wait it out in the truck. I caught my first bass at around lunch time. The big one came off a point and I caught it on a Zoom Mag 2 in Candybug. Too bad I had to show the old dogs up and take their money.:D:D:D

Trep......YES they were on his Chit when we rolled up.......but since they're good guys and friends of ours....we let it slide!!..LOL

We drove about 12 miles to head back early and fish a little spot (about the size of a truck and boat) and low and behold Vince was on it. I didnt know if he even knew it was there but after seeing his back seater catch a fish and throw right back to it, I knew he did know what he was fishing. So I let him have it and we flailed around near it trying for one more bite...lol

At the weigh-in I talked to Vince (owner of that Cobra boat) and he told me thats as far as he got all day.....they blew their lower unit on blast off and he fished around the mouth of the river all day. Made me feel even better for not rolling in on him. he is a great guy and I hate to hear of things like that happening to good people.

Latest posts

Back