Potomac 19 Sep report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G8rmac

Reaction score
Friday night I made a last minute decision to take the boat out this morning. Hit the Potomac south of the WW Bridge, tried a few grass beds with no luck. Fished around the bridge for a few minutes and got a 14" catfish on a blade bait, then went north of the bridge into the spoils area and got one small LMB, about 12". I decided to try Oxon creek since I have only tried it once before. Tied on a blue over chartreuse Bomber crank bait and started throwing around the I295 bridge footings. In less than an hour I had 2 more LMB up to 15" and 3 17" stripers. What a blast! The third striper paid me back, though. As I was reaching for the crank to unhook him he jumped and sank the front treble into my thumb past the barb. He had the back treble still in his mouth, the front treble in my thumb, and still jumping. I grabbed him with my right hand to keep him from tearing the hook out, then realized the trolling motor was still running and I was heading toward the rocks! No way to unhook anything, but he took care of it by flipping one more time and knocking the hook out of my thumb. Just a little blood, and he went back swimming strong. A lot of fun for an unplanned trip! :D

HPIM1727.JPG

HPIM1731.JPG

HPIM1732.JPG

i always throw bluetruese up there, it always puts fish in the boat

mike c

Nice fish Mac! I was out earlier today with a buddy of mine from work (and his son). Bite was way tough on the lower part of the river. Got two all morning. Hit on swimbaits (thanks Carlos for showing me which ones work!). Wind was blowing hard until about noonish, but the bite wasn't great so called it at 2pm. Should have fished further up river!

Hey Jim! The wind was rough around sun rise, but it layed down a little after 9 AM around the bridge. Other than the new hole in my thumb, it was a good day!

BTW been there done that last year Striper fishing!!!!!

Do not forget your tetnus shot

Thanks Carlos, my Uncle Sam makes sure my shots are up to date. I'm more worried about the fact that I was south of Blue Plains! Nothing good in the water there, I'm keeping a close eye on this one.;)

Latest posts

Back