New truck

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
With all this talk about new tow vehicles, I thought I'd go out and buy one :lol:

Here it is

2005 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4X4. Truck was brand new, had 11 miles on it when I test drove it yesterday, 29 when I drove it home ;).

Picture%20001%20resize.jpg

Exactally what I've been eyeballing. Is it the four door? Let me know how it tows.

Harpo

It's the 4 door crew cab. Ride is smoother than my Tundra, but I'm taking into account that it's a new truck.

The V6 seems peppy, but during break-in I can't really get on it to see what she'll do.

It should tow the boat fine, the only thing that concerns me is the trailer not having brakes. The owners manual say anything above 1000lbs requires brakes.... I'm not so sure. I need to spend the time and have the trailer/boat weighed this season.

hey bruce,

nice ride bruce, should tow the boat nice.

Does it take preminum fuel only?

mike

mike c - I can run 87, which most guys are doing, it won't hurt anything. There is better performance when using 91, and I'll use that when I tow and every so often if I have a long trip to make.

Nice looking truck! Reminds me somewhat of the Explorer SportTrac.

Bruce - Sweet looking ride, did you keep the Tundra or trade it? I love the hood scoop, is it functional? Either way looks great!

I agree waterwings, does look a bit like the vehicle that started the whole mid sized pickup 4 door crew craze - Explorer Sporttrack.

Nice rig Bruce. A buddy of mine just picked one of those up not too long ago. He really likes it.

Trep, fyi.. it was the Dodge Dakota Quad cab that started the whole mid size 4 door truck craze in this country, it came out in 2000 and they couldnt make enough of them in that first year. I almost bought one that year and while there were some to be had they wouldnt deal on price, they were too hot and they knew they would get rid of it quickly. I did end up getting my Dakota quad cab in 02.

The Sportrac followed in its footsteps the next year as did chevy with the S10 crew.

Actually JIM B, Nissan was technically the first. They offered the four door Frontier in 2000 as did Dodge, but the Frontier was released first. In 2001 Toyota entered the arena with the four door Tacoma also.

Yup, the Tundra is gone :(

Hood scoop is not funtional, but there are a few that are working on plumbing it to make it work.

The roof racks make the truck look like the Sport Trac - I agree. I would have been happier if they weren't on there, but since I could not pass up the price on this, I'll take em ;)

Need to get out and break 'er in!

Firescooby you may be right, i dont know when nissan actually started shipping the frontier 4 door but i do know when i was looking back in the may-june timeframe in 99 the 2000 quad dakota was available on the lots and nobody else had anything like it. Granted i didnt even think about looking at a frontier for two reasone 1, they were not a mid size at that point they were still really small, Two they had zero motor back then, even the supercharged one was wimpy at best. And as usual the Dodge dealers knew they had the only mid sized 4 door and they would not move on price.

Really 4 door trucks arent all that new, ford and chevy both had 1 ton full size trucks that were 4 doors back in the 70's but they never sold well back then.

You're gonna love it Bruce. I have an '06 access cab sport package (silver streak like yours). Currently have about 2500 miles on it, so I've been able to *test* the engine out. Pretty impressive for a V6.

Actually, I've got you all beat on who was the first with a 4 door pickup....I used to ride around in 4 door International Harvester pickups when I was in the Air Force way back in the 60's. We called them "6 packers" because that's how many could ride in them.

Harpo

Bruce, great truck. I have been looking hard at the Tacoma 4x4. Does the Toyota dealer near you (anyone) come down from MSRP? I having been watching the ads on TV. I see Dodge has 60 month 0% on Dakota. Chevy Colorado has had some incentives, but in the last 8 months I have not saw any deal on the Tacoma, no doubt because it is a hot truck. Just wondering, how low to go, if I go looking.

dice-

It depends on the dealer and the model you're looking at. The truck I bought had almost a $3000 markup. I went to a local dealer and they would move on the price, but gave me nothing for my trade. I traveled about an hour and a half to another dealer that had advertised this truck below any price I had seen.

Toyota doesn't give out too many incentives (notice the low cash back they advertise).

Here's an article for you to read on the Tacoma and Dakota ;)

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=944533

Thanks Bruce. A friend of mine yesterday purchased a 2005 Dakota $7000 off MSRP. What to do....

Latest posts

Back