Need a new outboard

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well the old girl finally went. Kind of put my foot in my mouth. Saturday night I was braggin about how many hours I had on my '99 Merc 175 efi and now dependable it was and then on Sunday after 14 great years and over 2,000 years it finally gave up the ghost. And even then it only barely went, blowing cylinder #3. She doesn't owe me a penny.

So now I need either a newer motor or will sell the boat as is and get a new/used boat that's a little bigger.

But if anyone has a line on a good, dependable 175 opti or 175 Pro XS with low hours on it, let me know. Just e-mail me.

I found a local 175 opti for 5k but called a contact that looked it up on Merc's site and found out that it has had a new powerhead under warranty, new pistons on a seperate warranty claim, a new trim motor and now has a broken tensioner pulley bracket that is part of the block, so it needs a new block....AGAIN! After all that I decided (without much debate) to stay away from that motor.

I might rebuild mine. I can get a rebuilt block with warranty for about $3,500 from Crowley's on line.

Latest posts

Back