Lowrance Networking

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
So i am going to add another HDS 5 to my Boat for the Bow. My main goal is to have the units "GPS" be connected so i can hit "mark waypoint" on my Dash HDS5 and then use the Trolling motor to slowly get to that same "mark" on my new HDS 5 on the Bow.

So my question is. If I was to buy the "Structure Scan" $600 package would that unit allow me to also hook the two fishfinders up as I desire?

Or would i still have to pay the $150 for the "lowrance navico" network box?

Thanks alot.

-Jason

pretty sure you need the network box. send an email to lowrance and ask, or wait for Glenn! lol

I'm not sure but I think you can get away with the just the network cable. If you were looking to share transducers it's a different cable. They recomend useing no less then an hds-8 with the structure scan. No sure if its a software issue or just for the resolution.

I thought that if you linked Two units Directly to each other. The only data you could share would be "Sonar" which in my opinion is not such a great feature. Why would I care whats under the boat in the back of the boat, when i am up front?

If thats correct and I can share. Sonar and OR GPS.. Its the "marks" / "waypoints" I care about..

If so. is THIS what I need?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=2TO4YKRXHOH4XLAQBBKSCNNMCAEFAIWE?id=0053421019554a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=36&Ntt=Lowrance&Ntk=Products&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

All you'll need is one of the cables Mike posted above, (or the 5 ft one from LEI). You can connect the HDS's together via the ethernet cable or "if" you get the LSS unit you'll still need another ethernet cable since the LSS comes with one already. With the LSS both the HDS units will be connected to the LSS and it acts as a network hub. Any waypoints input, or edited on either unit will automatically be updated on the other. If one of the units is shut off when you add/edit a waypoint the other unit will be updated automatically when you turn it on.

The LSS works on any HDS unit, however you can only split the screens 2 ways with the 5, and 7. The 8 and 10 can be split 4 ways. And of course the larger the screen the better the viewing.

I have a question about power consumption?

When I go to an area that I plan to be in for several hours, I always turn the console unit off to conserve power of the cranking battery.

I do this from past experience of working an area all day with both livewell pumps running and both sonars running. At the end of the day, my cranking battery was so low it wouldn't crank the engine. I had to jump from my trolling batteries which still had plenty of juice.

Besides the juice for the two sonars, how much juice does the networking hardware use?

RoyC

Latest posts

Back