JIM B..battery opinion

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Tracker

Reaction score
Hi jim question for you.

I got a good deal on the following batteries so i bought them, the new fishfinder set me back a little so i got them for the price it was a decent buy i think.

2- marine everstart 24 series/675cca/105amp hour/ for the trolling motor.

1 everstart maxx 27 series/975cca for the crank/livewell/electronics.

I could still return them if u dont think it was a wise buy? Thanks again

In my opinion those 24 sized batteries will be way too small for the trolling motor. They just dot have enough reserver capacity to run all day. You will find yourself discharging them way down and you will shorten their useful life. You really want the group 27's for hte trolling motor. The 24 would most likely be a good choice for your start battery if its around 140 min reserve it will run all your stuff all day.

As far as everstarts go you will never find one on my boat or any of their sister brands either. I have had waaaay too much grief from them and way too many ruined trips from them. Your milage may vary on that but my experience with them has not been very good.

OK THanks Jim. I will return the two 24 series and try to find some 27 series.

The "Marine" everstarts did not have 27 series at the wal-mart I was in. Only 24's.

The 27 I bought also doesnt list "Amp Hour/Reserve" is there a way to find that out? It just says "Cranking Amps @ 32*=925, and Cold Crank Amps=770

Another Question. At this time I have a Bass Pro TWO bank Battery charger. SInce two of the batterys are going to be connected would that still charge all three batteries? Or do i need to buy a 3-Bank Charger? Thanks again

It sounds like the 27 sized one you bought may be a car battery? Normally marine batteries have the reserve listed on them.

As far as the charger goes since you are running 24 volt it will not be able to charge all three at the same time. You could upgrade to a 3 bank or get a small 1 bank or a portable charger and use that for the starting battery. Personally if i was in your shoes knowing thats your replacing the boat soon i would buy a decent quality portable charger and use that because you can use it for other things too like cars, motorcycles etc. Its just a handy thing to have.

I own one of these and its great. I got it at walmart for ~75 bucks.

http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1200a.html

Thanks Jim, I actually have the same exact Charger. (minus the digital reading)

I am going to check out the local Walmarts this week and see if they have the 27 series marine batterys to swap out the 24 series.

The 27 Everstart Maxx I bought is not "Marine/Deep Cycle" But i have read that is ok to use since it is for the starting motor/electronics. Would I have been better off with a deep cycle?

You do not want just a marine battery for trolling motors. You want a deep cycle or "dual purpose". Deeply discharging a marine cranking battery will kill it fast.

I prefer a dual purpose starting/deep cycle for the start battery. They generally have a longer reserve time and will last longer running stuff. What kind of terminals are on the 27? Are they screw posts? Again that one sounds like a car battery which would not do well in a boat, they arent built to takw the pounding a marine battery can take.

I would keep one of the 24's you got and use that as the start battery. I think you will do just fine with it and i also do not believe there is enough room for 3 27 sized batteries in that compartment from what i remember of my friends boat when he had it.

One more thing. you may want to look at BJ's and see if they have any of the Exide marine batteries there. They would be price competitive with Walmart and in my opinion they are a better battery by far. You could also look at Autozone at the duralast( its the same battery as the everstart) if you cant find them at walmart. Since you arent keeping the boat for much longer i dont see the need to spend huge bucks on batteries either.

Jim

I have posted a PIC of the batterys in the compartment of my boat (in member library) I placed them in there last night to get an idea of size. I actually think 3 27's would fit nice, as it is, even with the two 24's I still need to place the on board charger somewere else.

Now, would my On Board Charger (Two Bank Bass Pro) Be able to charge the Two 24V batterys when they are hooked up? And I mean just those two. I will use my portable charger for the Start battery.

If i remember correctly from my friend Dave's the reason you cant get three 27's in there is because you have to turn them sideways to get them in and out, they dont drop straight in and there is no room for the last one to turn it once its in the compartment. His had two 27's in the front of the compartment and one 24 to the rear. The charger was mounted on the transom behind where the 24 sized battery went. Your not going to have any issued with a decently sized 24 running your stuff all day so there really isnt any need to try to force it in there.

Oh ok. So a 105Amp Hour 24 Deep Cycle would be good for the Livewell,2 fishfinders and 25hp outboard for a tournament day? If so thats great. I will have to check on the 3 27's.

Thanks once again Jim. Sorry for all the questions. I just dont want to be let down this season when it comes to basics, such as Battery Hours.

Yep you should be fine with that 24 running that stuff for a day and a pair of 27's should do you just fine for the trolling motor and the good news is i know it will all fit in that compartment.

nice. Ok I will go with that. Must have just remembered wrong when i posted all this last week. I thought it was 1 27 and 2 24. O well Walmart is not going to give me a hard time swapping them out. Thanks again Jim.

You been out yet this year?

Nope i havent been out at all. My boat is still sitting in the shrink wrap. Its going to be at least a few more weeks before i can even think about getting out. Im still semi recovering from my surgery, i have a lifting/activity restriction that keeps me from doing much of anything.

O thats right. Well Good luck with the healing process. Will be worth it in the end

Hey Jim B - let me know if there is anything I can do for you while you are mending. Hope to see you on Winnisquam in May if not before then.

Bill, the MadKayaker

Thanks Bill, Im actually doing pretty well and im feeling more back to normal every day. I'm chopming at the bit to get the boat ready but i cant just yet. A couple more weeks and i should be good to go.

Latest posts

Back