Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marottadc

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New member here and happy to be here amongst the community. I purchased a used 1995 Nitro last year and have made a few changes to it. I am updating the batteries and need some help!
Two 100ah Amped Outdoors lithium batteries and 1 lead acid (cranking to the outboard) are in the stern compartment with the gas tank.
I would like the 2 LiPO’s to run:
1. the trolling motor
2. Two fish finders
3. A livescope
4. Fuse Box with some deck lights
I would like these batteries to be connected to a 4 position switch so I can make sure they don’t drain when not in use or just sitting for a week or two.
The trolling motor is a 12/24v combo that can be switched to 12v, 24v or "off" from the foot pedal at the bow of the boat.
The 2 batteries do not need to be ran in series for the trolling motor to do this (60 lb. MotorGuide trolling motor - original to the boat I believe). I believe it is done within the trolling motor itself.
I have attached a diagram of my setup. I set this up today (minus the fuse box and accessories as shown in the diagram. I will do this this week) and when I turned the switch to position 1 (battery for the 12 volt leg of the trolling motor) there was a spark at the positive terminal of the battery.

Question 1: Is there something wrong with my setup?
Question 2: Can I accomplish this with a 4 position switch? The 2 trolling motor positives are on the same "output" post on the 4 position switch.
Question 3: The charger is connected to each battery. Will it still be able to charge the batteries with the switch in the “OFF” position?
Question 4: right now the batteries are in the stern of the boat right next to the gas tank. With LiPo’s I am concerned with them catching fire and not being able to put them out. Can they be mounted in the bow of the boat under the deck? There is less/no “ventilation” in the bow, but the stern gets water in there that needs to get bilged out and again is next to the gas tank. The old batteries were all in the stern compartment. If I can move them to the front I would do that and shorten the wires for the trolling motor and reuse them for the fuse box instead of buying more wire! Thank you!

Attachments

• wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 0
I think I got it figured out. I was using a switch that turned 2 batteries on at the same time, but put them in parallel. I bought a new switch that has 4 terminal posts that just turns 2 batteries on at the same time but doesn't connect the 2 batteries in any way. It all appears to be working!

Generally trolling motor is run with it's own batteries and graphs are run off the starting motor battery. TM's and Graphs sharing batteries usually end up with the owner complaining about interference on their graphs.

Latest posts

Back