I Gotta Ask

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass Caldwell2

Reaction score
Ok I gotta ask. I'm on my sixth boat now, and have owned a few different brands. I've never even considered a Skeeter just because their design is plain to me, and personally I think most of them are ugly. I know they are expensive and hold their value well like Rangers and other top brands. I'm not trying to bash them, but really want to know if they are really that good of boats, and I figured I better not do that on a Skeeter forum...lol.

Thanks.

i just bought 2011 nitro after comparing all the models out there, and there was no boat that gave the options for the money more than nitro did period. the storage, power, and all the upgrades available is still less than any other brand. just my thoughts

Cass, I went from a 1995 Nitro 170 TF (75hp Merc) to a 1997 Skeeter 185c (Yammy 150). I have nothing bad to say about the nitro, served me well and was a great boat, but very little storage. Eventually sold it because the transom got wet and rotted. I love the skeeter, it jumps out of the hole and will run 62 with a full load and two guys. The front deck is huge (compared to my old boat) and has a ton of storage. I think they have one of the best floor/storage plans around and utilize most every inch with some kind of bin, glove box or cubby hole. I have no problem keeping up with any other boat, until they get up past 62! But, I don't fish for a living so 62 is plenty fast for me. I think it rides as well as any other boat and I ride pretty regular in my buddies big a** Ranger w/250 merc.

JP

I talked myself out of a Skeeter when I was boat shopping in 2005.

First of all, they wouldn't install the jackplate I wanted on it (Bobs). They told me that if I changed from the factory set-back plate, my warranty was void. I heard they changed that policy since then, but I'm not sure about that as I never really went back to that dealership.

Secondly, I could only get it with a Yamaha, and I really had my heart set on a Mercury Optimax.

Lastly - I'm not a tall person at all, but my knees hit the bottom of the dash on EVERY MODEL. They told me "Well don't ride with your left knee at a 90 degree angle". Well... that's just how I sit!

Several fellow club members bought different models, and for some reason they all seemed to buy some shade of blue. Blue with silver, blue with gold, blue with blue, blue with black, etc... Most of the ones I saw after a few years looked very oxidized and "dirty". I'm not sure if it was just the people who owned them, or if it was a Skeeter issue, but after a very short time they all looked old. The design looked old to me from the start, but they didn't seem to age well either.

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm not Skeeter bashing. If you or anyone else on here owns a Skeeter, I hope you enjoy it. It's just not the boat for me due to the above noted reasons.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks for the info, you hear a lot of goods things about them, almost to the point of being faddish, and I was just wondering what all the buzz was about (non pun intended...lol).

Current buzz is because they designed the FX Series for the Yamaha SHO. I rode with Zell Rowland in the Elites in his Skeeter and I have been in the NASTY stuff with Neeley on St Clair (when he isn't in the hospital:lol: ). Fine boats. Nothing bad to say about them. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I fished a day by myself at St Clair this year in Neeley's boat while he rode with Carlos. It kept me dry and we had 15-20 mph winds that day. All new boats are expensive and normally everyone will promote the boat they bought. I really don't think there are any "bad" boats out there within the last 5 model years. I always say "Ride and Decide". That's the only way to pick a boat that is right for you.

TOXIC

After what I did to a Skeeter I would say they are TOUGH too! I would not hesitate to own another. not the GREATEST ride in the rough stuff, but they do handle well and they are FAST

Y'all would get a real kick and a giggle when you trace back the roots of the original pre-Tracker Nitros and pre-Yamaha Skeeters. :lol::lol::lol:

I think its quite evident in the design!

Thats when Ham Hamburger cleaned out Skeeter isnt it?

I just traded in my 05 NX 882 this spring for a Skeeter 21i class. Ride is night and day difference.Nitro was good but in rough water I'll take my Skeeter any day. I never rode in a bigger Nitro and I am sure they are good as well. The resale value is one of the reasons I bought it. Yamaha is good, but I don't know that it's any better than a Merc. Actually I wish I could get one with a Merc.

Latest posts

Back