How we choose our State Champion - Federation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I watched the progress of the recent Federation Championship. Our SC State representative, Gary Pope, came close, but only managed a runner up in the Southern division.

I asked our Federation rep how we choose our 'Champion' (because I never heard of him and barely found his name in the records from the last two years), and got the following:

Whomever has the largest sack, from the 12 state team members, in the Regional tournament, is the SC Federation tournament. Our 12 man state team is made up of 3 boaters and non-boaters from the regular trail, and 3 additional boaters and non-boaters from the 6 Man tourney.

You can fish the entire regular trail, 6 tourneys, win 3 and qualify for the state team and win the overall regular trail championship; followed by a win at the November Championship; and not be the SC State representative for the Federation Championship. In short, that happened.

Man, what a poor way to pick a representative. In short, someone can do really well in the 6 man (a 2 day tourney), make the State Team and have a good regional, and qualify for the Federation Championship. No requirement to fish the year end Championship or to fish the regular trail. The problem with this is that the 6 man competition lake is known in advance. A club can spend as much time as possible, sharing info and learning the prevailing fall patterns, and put three boaters on the state team. That is exactly what happened 2 falls ago.

Three boaters from one club camped out on a really good point for both days. They simply waited for the fish to come up, caught what they could, culled when they could, and all three finished 1-2-3.

Stinks. But then again, that's what the rules say.

Tex

Ours is just as bad.

Every club in the State of Mi can send a certain amount of members to our State Championship based on the size of the club. Half of the members fishing the Championship are boaters, half are non. Two day tournament, top 12 people (13th is an alternate). Heaviest weight for the 2 days is State Champion. There are usually 200+ boats (2 anglers per) in this tournament and about half of the field has never fished an event of this size. I have seen a person get two good draws and finish in the top 6 (boaters at the Divisional, 7-12 are nonboaters @ the Div). Our way certainly does not send the best 12.....and you dont win any money @ the State Championship, the money is used for expenses to the Divisional. 13 places equal shares.

We are trying to get the federation to change the qualifying to get to the State Championship. There is a Classic Series (6 tournaments over 3 weekends) that has nothing to do with the State Championship. The winner of the Classic Series wins a new Ranger.

I want to see the Classic Series (or some version of) used as a qulaifying circuit to make it to the Championship. Then the State Champion would win the Ranger AND go to the Divisional.

Good topic, I am curious to find out the many ways other States compete for the road to the Bassmaster Classic.

Mini

Wow!!! it is really tuff out here in California to make the state fishoff I mean you gotta fish your bootie off to qaulify then the state regonials etc. I put a link check it out. it is the reason most folks in Ca. do not fish the Federation the payout is low for the tournies then really hard to get to the State Team!!

Mark

http://www.californiabass.org/welcome/Welcome.htm

Up here in Maine we only have to fish two tourney's to get onto the state team. Of course each club (33 total in the state) can send up to 12 members to the state championship. Top 12 in the club get the right to go. The state is split into 2 divisions. The first weekend we all fish at 2 different lakes. Top 25 from each division get to go the next weekend to the championship for a shot at the state team (top 6 boaters and 6 top non-boaters).

MeBassn

Our championship tourney is the top 50 from both the regular trail (6 events) and the 6 man competition (2 day tourney). Top 25 from each are boaters, 2nd 25 are non-boaters. That's the only way to get into the State Championship.

To fish the 6 man, each chapter must have paid all applicable dues, and have attended about 70% of the State/District meetings.

Tex

2 ways to get to the regional in Texas.

Place in the top six of the State championship. There is no qualifying just got to have a club, up to six members from a club can form a team and attend the championship.

Win the regional top 40. Each region has a top 40 based off the standings from the six tournaments they fish each year.

I believe Texas sends a 12 man team to the regionals. Don't know cause i haven't been... yet.

In Tennessee it has been changed this year.

It was set up that each club sent a six man team to the state regional. These are the top six in the standings from the previous year. At the regional the top half of the six man teams advance to the state tournament with the individual winner placing on the state team. The state tournament is the qualifiers from the four regional tournaments, normally 20-25 six man teams per region. The top eight advance to the district with the four regional winners.

This year they changed it to two state tournaments(east and west). The clubs still send their best six from the previous year and the top six individuals from each state tournament advance to the district.

Latest posts

Back