Fluorocarbon line question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Massey

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Probably a simple question here but one I am not sure about. At my local tackle shop they only carry one kind of Fluorocarbon line and they only carry it in the green hugh. If I am fishing gin clear water, would I be better to use the green fluorocarbon since the clear is not available or should I just use the monofilament that I have that is clear?

I'd use the fluoro. Although it looks green to you, it will disappear better underwater than plain old clear mono due to light refraction.

All the best,

Glenn

When I decided to make the change over to flouocarbon I bought what was in the store and was sorry I had. First time out fishing I lost two good fish because the line broke and I fished the rest of the day with mono. I ordered on line from BPS, BPS XPS for 17 lb and Seaguar for 15 lb.

JimmyE,

You jogged my memory regarding the first time I used fluoro. It was Berkely Transition, and I popped off several good fish that morning. I was so frustrated, I wanted to scream. The only heavy line I had with me for flipping the jig I was using into the thick stuff was braid - and that really slowed the amounts of bites down.

I learned later that the Berkely Transition line required you to use a certain knot - which I was not using. I used my regular polomar knot and that is where the line was popping.

I'm actually using Spiderwire Invisi-Braid right now. It's working great in the gin clear water, which suprises me, as it looks bright white all the way to my lure as I'm watching it. The fish don't seem to see it though. I don't quite understand it - but the stuff has been working great.

All the best,

Glenn

It was the Berkley Vanish I bought from Walmart (nearest tackle supply to me is 50 miles away) I knew I had to use a different knot with flourocarbon so I used Berkley's knot from the instructions in the box. I didn't change all my reels over so I just went back to mono the rest of the trip. I caught a 7 lber two weeks ago on the 15 lb Seaguar and she came right to the boat. Lesson learned.

The very first flourocarbon I ever used was Seaguar. I would only use it at a leader for my Carolina Rigs, but it worked great for that. In recent years, I've used P-Line flouro, and didn't have any issues with that either. On both of those, I used a regular Polomar knot. Anytime I use Berkely flouro, I make sure I use their knot, or I'll be expecting the line to pop. By the way - the Transition I was using at that time was 20lb test. I was so frustrated that I was popping line on the hookset - right at the knot.

All the best,

Glenn

Get the XPS stuff. If its good enough for KVD and Edwin....

:)

My problem with going straight XPS is they don't make a 15 lb. Then some will say there is no difference in 14 and 15 lb and there is, in my head. That is why I got the Seaguar 15 lb. So far, both are good stuff.

The XPS stuff is very good. It is mfg.'ed by Toray (Ninja Fishing Line) in Japan and private labeled for BPS. ;)

Hey Mini, this isn't a smarta$$ question but do you really think or know that KVD or Edwin use the same stuff that's available at B.P.S.?

I guess I've become cynical because a lot of things like this: "Hey kids, buy this because so and so uses it all the time" or "I wouldn't put my family in this car if I didn't have so and so tires." Then you come to find out it was all B/S and that those products weren't being used at all. Thanks

Uncle Billy

I am 100% positive that KVD and Edwin use XPS flouro. They get it from the same place I get it. You can too.

Thanks for the info Dan. I wasz told it was mfd by Seaguar a while back.

I use the XPS also. Great stuff. and more affordable than other brands. Stay away from Vanish. Waaaaay too many break offs. Many will say it is fine, but think of it this way. If Berkley makes vanish floro, why did they feel a need to make another floro line (100% floro). Vanish and transition will only disappoint. Also, there is no "special line" produced just for the pros. It is the same stuff available to us at BPS:rolleyes:

I actually like vanish transition, and break-offs aren't an issue, and I always use a palomar knot. I use 6 lb vanish transition (gold) on some of my spinning rods. It doesn't seem as abrasion resistant as XPS fluoro, but when it's fresh it is nice and smooth. Just remember to check your line frequently by running it through your fingers. If it feels rough, pull off several feet (or more) until you get to good, clean line, and re-tie. The 6lb vanish transition seems a little more spinning-reel-friendly than 6lb XPS fluoro, but maybe that's just me.

Latest posts

Back