Noise from trim switch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had the seastar hydraulic steering put on my 2003 Nitro NX882 with a mercury 150 XR6. When I got it back they had switched something around so that when I pressed up on the trim it went down and down went up. I took it back and they fixed that, but now when I use the trim it makes a high pitched noise that almost sounds like the overheating alarm(it isn't overheating), but not as loud. At first it only happened when going over 50 but now it starts right after I start it up and use the trim, sometimes if I press up on the trim it will die down for a little bit but then come back.

I am assuming it's a wiring or electrical issue but just wanted some thoughts from people with experience on what it might be or how I can trouble shoot. I will most likely be taking it back to the shop that did the work, but I hate being without my boat and have a feeling they are going to tell me to replace a bunch of wiring, even though it probably needs some, it was working fine before the steering install. If any other info is needed, please let me know.

Here is a video of the noise that it makes, anytime I mess with the trim it changes or dies off intermittently. Also now when at high speeds when I hit the trim it feels like it looses power for a split second if I push it up or down going over 50 it rocks the boat back I don't notice it at slower speeds so I am unsure if it only happens at high speed.

Sure sounds like overheat alarm. Do you have a water pressure gauge to show PSI from water pump? Also, might want to check thermostats. I don't know of any other alarm related to trim switch. I have a 2004 NX882 150HP with seastar hyd steering I put on a couple of years ago. Also check lower unit water intake screens for blockage or restriction.

Hey guys, I just had the seastar hydraulic steering put on my 2003 Nitro NX882 with a mercury 150 XR6. When I got it back they had switched something around so that when I pressed up on the trim it went down and down went up. I took it back and they fixed that, but now when I use the trim it makes a high pitched noise that almost sounds like the overheating alarm(it isn't overheating), but not as loud. At first it only happened when going over 50 but now it starts right after I start it up and use the trim, sometimes if I press up on the trim it will die down for a little bit but then come back.

I am assuming it's a wiring or electrical issue but just wanted some thoughts from people with experience on what it might be or how I can trouble shoot. I will most likely be taking it back to the shop that did the work, but I hate being without my boat and have a feeling they are going to tell me to replace a bunch of wiring, even though it probably needs some, it was working fine before the steering install. If any other info is needed, please let me know.

Here is a video of the noise that it makes, anytime I mess with the trim it changes or dies off intermittently. Also now when at high speeds when I hit the trim it feels like it looses power for a split second if I push it up or down going over 50 it rocks the boat back I don't notice it at slower speeds so I am unsure if it only happens at high speed.

My 2001 targa was making the same sound with trim switchwith good water pressure and motor peeing,turns out it was low oil injector level in oil Reservoir(on 2 stroke engine)as soon as I filled it the alarm stopped

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am still trying to figure it out, I'm taking it out again tomorrow as it only goes off when my outboard is running. I checked the oil reservoir today on the outboard and it was completely full but I'll keep an eye on it. I refilled the main reservoir on the boat when it was about a 1/4 of the way full, in the future I will refill before it gets that low. A few other threads i have read with similar issues said the same thing so I am going to mess with it tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue.

I am also planning on replacing the white inline fuel filter on the mercury because I am unsure if the previous owner did at the end of the year before I bought it. Water pressure was good the whole time, I just had the gauge replaced when they did the hydraulic steering, it was around 15 when going quick and 3-5 when just idling, with a decent telltale stream.

Its just weird that it comes on and cuts out when I use the trim, I feel like maybe its shorting something connected to the alarm buzzer, it seems like an electrical issue to me but this is my first boat and I am still very new to boats. I looked over everything today, one wire was exposed so i put some liquid tape on it, but everything else looked normal. I will update if I find anything, and am open to any suggestions or tests I can perform, as I'm hoping to fix it myself. I will try to get a better video of the noise as i mess with the trim as well.

The people that installed the hyd. steering sounds like they have a wire shorted out in the harness to the over heat alarm and sending it to ground. to be sure disconnect the over heat alarm it's the round white thing with a brown and black wire coming out of it, it just unplugs. If you have something going to ground it will effect the ignition system causing a surge why'll running. If you have a volt gage you should see a major drop in voltage when the trim is applied. A small amount of drop is normal.

Jerry Thanks so much for your reply I really appreciate you take the time to explain that, I will look into it and report back here is a better video of what is happening, once I start idling faster it gets louder it usually doesnt start until i have started idling after starting it, but like i said earlier messing with the trim temporarily silences it.

Also when inspecting my outboard I noticed that one of the hoses under my oil reservoir has a 3 way splitter that is not connected to anything, does anyone know what this is for or if this is supposed to be this way. There was no hose lying around to plug back in so I assume it was meant to be there, it seemed weird though.

1684683720083.png

They also didn't tighten the hydraulic steering lines under the helm, and it leaked on most of my wiring. I tightened them up so they shouldnt be leaking anymore, but am wondering if that may have caused the short. When I got it back I noticed there was oil down there so I cleaned it all up and assumed it was from installation but after taking it out yesterday, it had steering fluid on both the fittings and had covered all my wiring again. I cleaned it up and put tape over these wires but am wondering if I should redo the connectors or if I will need to redo the whole wire if that was the issue. Is this the over heat alarm?

1684692577435.png

I would redo any connection that came in contact with the steering fluid and don't forget to refill the reservoir

Okay thanks for the suggestion birda, I will refill and then redo that connection and check all the others. Disconnecting the overheat alarm did silence the chirping. Before I disconnected it, I was able to reduce the sound a little bit by playing with that connection on the overheat alarm, I am hoping just replacing the connection fixes the problem but am unsure if that will fix it or not. Thanks again Jerry Shack looks like you were right.

Okay thanks for the suggestion birda, I will refill and then redo that connection and check all the others. Disconnecting the overheat alarm did silence the chirping. Before I disconnected it, I was able to reduce the sound a little bit by playing with that connection on the overheat alarm, I am hoping just replacing the connection fixes the problem but am unsure if that will fix it or not. Thanks again Jerry Shack looks like you were right.
Griffin,
The fitting that you are inquiring about is a purge valve and there is no hose that goes to it. When there is to much air pressure that pushes the oil from the main tank to the engine oil tank, it blows a little air so to not over pressurize the small tank. In saying this, on the motor disconnect the blue wire from that tanks fill cap and see if the alarm stops.
p.s. I wouldn't worry about the hyd. oil on the wires.

Okay thanks for walking me through all this and explaining what that fitting is and what it does, I will try that out this afternoon and see if that does the trick.

So just a little update with another question. My speedometer and tachometer both stopped working, the lights on both gauges work but neither of them are moving when I accelerate. They worked perfectly before they replaced the pressure gauge and worked for the first time I took it out after getting it back but after the buzzing stopped on the overheat alarm they both stopped working.

I am assuming since the lights are working on the gauges the purple wire supplying power to them is working but am not sure what I should test/look for or if there is anything i can do to get them working again.

Also I am unsure if the overheat alarm is actually working. I changed out one of the connectors on the brown wire coming from the over heat alarm and The buzzing I was hearing stopped. However When I tested the 2 wires connected to the overheat alarm with my multimeter before and after changing the connector it doesn't read anything. Is there a way I can verify my overheat alarm is working correctly. I know the buzzer part works because If I connect it to a positive and negative it rings. Also when I plug the key in it beeps like normal which I think comes from that thing too. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

So just a little update with another question. My speedometer and tachometer both stopped working, the lights on both gauges work but neither of them are moving when I accelerate. They worked perfectly before they replaced the pressure gauge and worked for the first time I took it out after getting it back but after the buzzing stopped on the overheat alarm they both stopped working.

I am assuming since the lights are working on the gauges the purple wire supplying power to them is working but am not sure what I should test/look for or if there is anything i can do to get them working again.

Also I am unsure if the overheat alarm is actually working. I changed out one of the connectors on the brown wire coming from the over heat alarm and The buzzing I was hearing stopped. However When I tested the 2 wires connected to the overheat alarm with my multimeter before and after changing the connector it doesn't read anything. Is there a way I can verify my overheat alarm is working correctly. I know the buzzer part works because If I connect it to a positive and negative it rings. Also when I plug the key in it beeps like normal which I think comes from that thing too. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Go back to the outboard and on the cylinder head is a sensor, brown w/ blue tracer ( maybe ) unplug sensor turn key on and ground the wire the alarm should go off.

Update incase anyone has these issues in the future, Both of my voltage regulators were broken and that caused most of my issues, and was part of the reason why my overheat alarm was going off. When I would mess with the trim it would affect the alarm. They got the voltage regulators replaced and it has been running much better without the drop in power when using the trim and the annoying alarm constantly going off.

Latest posts

Back