Bent skeg

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Warren

Reaction score
Well, I did it! I was idling along Reelfoot this past weekend through a stump field and hit a few. When I got back and checked the motor, the skeg was pushed over a few degrees. To top it off one of the prop blades was bent. I know I have to get the prop fixed or replaced, but what about the skeg? Since I was just idling along, I was shocked to see what damage had been done. Am I going to have to replace the lower unit housing, or do you think the shop can straighten out the skeg?

I'm pretty sure they can straighten that out. Worse case scenario, they'll cut off the skeg and weld a new one on. Fished with a guide last year on Fork that had a stainless steel guard that bolted on over his skeg and did a great job protecting the skeg from the millions of trees that lurk under Fork's surface. Didn't seem to affect the performance of the boat at all.

Your local prop shop can fix them both. I did pretty much the same thing to mine, they squared me away--fixed the prop and welded repairs to the skeg.

Straighten it yourself. All you need is a big hammer and a block of wood. Put the block of wood against the skeg and hit it til the skeg is straight.

Been there, done that.

Frank

Dont know what year your motor is... but if it can not be bent back into place, and needs welded if your motor is still under waranty i'd push your insurance company to replace the gear case since modifications to the gearcase ( replacement of skeg) will void waranty.

Latest posts

Back