Bearing Advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Matney

Reaction score
I need to replace bearings on my trailer but I have no clue on what to buy. The trailer is an after-market Hustler that was new in 2000. I have always greased them several times per year so the hubs "should" be fine. My questions are:

1. What size bearings would I need to buy (what is the most common for a 16-17 foot trailer.) Or how do I measure to buy them.

2. Does anyone know of a web site that gives step by step instructions, perferably with photos.

3. Can you buy trailer bearings from AutoZone and similar places?

4. Since the trailer is 7 years old should I just but new hubs with the bearings already in?

I am taking a few long trips in a few weeks and i want to get things squared away before I put about 1000 miles on my rig. Thanks for any help.

Donnie

Don

I will try and help as best I can

1. the best thing you can do is take the hub apart and take the bearings and have them matched up as there is so many different mfg.

2. I know of no web site that gives dirrections but I will be glad to talk you thru it over the phone if needed.

3. yes Auto Zone should have the bearings you need.

4. No I would not replace the hubs unless you have had a bearing failure in the past or you find that the race inside of the hub has spun once you pull it apart.

Any other questions just drop me a line with your number and I'll help where I can.

Donnie

I wouldnt replace the bearings unless there is something specifically wrong with them. The reason i say this is unless you replace both the bearing and race( some people call it a cone) at the same time you could be inviting trouble. The bearing and race wear into each other as they are used. Putting a new bearing into an old race can cause problems with the new bearing. What i would do is take them apart, clean and inspect them and if nothing is wrong pack them, put in a new seal and go fishing. If the bearings or races are pitted, corroded(rust), cracked or otherwise damaged obviously replace them but if not there no good reason not to put them back in. Replacing them wont guarantee problem free operation. A good seal, grease and proper freeplay adjustment is far more important then how old they are.

Properly serviced the bearings should last a very very long time and i think my trailer is a great example of that. I have over 100k miles on my trailer at this point with the original bearings. They have been repacked and seals replaced but the bearings and races are original. When i wrote that article that Larry posted about 3 years ago i hd like 50k or so on it. I need to put that article back online on my new isp and have Rich fix the link.

For a person with a little mechanical ability,how hard of a job is it to take them apart,inspect,clean,repack and re-install?I am real good at breaking things,hehe.

Thanks for all the in put gang. I think I am gonna clean and then inspect them to see what I need. I think I am gonna buy a spare hub, they will come in handy on some long trips. Again thanks.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back