2004750nx gas tank bulge

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Moss

Reaction score
My new boats gas tank is bulging out some three inches between the starter battery.I mean with 25 gallons of gas its 1/2 inch from the starter battery.Is this normal.Its bulged out so much that its bent the L brackets holding it in over an inch from the verticle.I opened up the gas cap but I didnt here any pressure escaping so I dont think its the vent.Anybody have this happened to them?

I've had my 640LX for over a year now and I have a bulge in the gas tank, I think this is normal for these tanks. The compartment is so small in the 640LX that the gas tank is right up against the batteries. I have though about putting some rubber pads between the tank and the batteries.

I know a little swellings normal but this thing has bent the L brackets an inch over.Its also swelling up around where the bracket is attached to the tank.Im going to take it back and let them look at it.I had a pc175 and the tank swelled a little bit.The swelling on that one was uniform.Not just at the bottom half of the tank.

I have a 04 NX750, and my tank looks fine, good idea to take it in and have them look at it.

You need to check your vent. Sounds like the vent opening is clogged allowing pressure to build in tank. Loosen the cap and if you here a hissing sound, (air being released then it's the vent. If no, then that tank needs to be replaced to to a defect in the plastic.

Its been full in the garage for two weeks with no problem.Yesterday I went out to look at something and I noticed the bulging.I went and opened up the gas cap and no hissing sound like it was pressurized.Then I drained the tank because I didnt want it bursting and flooding the boat.My pc175 swelled a little bit but nothing like this.The tank had room to expand as I didnt fill it all the way up just Like the owners manual said.To allow for expansion.Yhe only vent I have found is the one next to the filler hole.I think its just incase of overflow when you fill it up.The manual dosent mention any vent which I thought was a little strange.The caps not vented either.Frustrating! evey chance I have to go fishing something always screws up keeping me from it.I looked at it this morning on my way out too work and it shrunk a little bit but not much since draining the gas out.Man I wouldnt wan to be in the water with it and have the tank burst on me.The temp hasnt gotten that hot yet either.Its only upper 70s here.I would hate to think what it would do when it gets up in the 90s.Well instead of getting to go fishing this week I get to take my brand new boat back to get something fixed.Bummer.Im sure The root canal Im getting wensday will take my mind off of it.I cant win for losing.I know it can always be worse.Thanks guys

There are 2 screws on the inside of the gas cap adjust them to vent the gas tank. They are on the gas cap itself its a 2004 NX750. When you tighten the cap back down you will notice the cap now has a bit of play. hope this helps.

I will look again.I saw some vent holes on each side under the cap.It has a rubber plug with a hole in it that lets air go to the vent holes.I blew thru it and its working.Im going to blow air thru the vent going to the tank and see if that parts open.I called bsp today and they said to bring it in and the would send a picture to tracker of the tank.What kind of crap do you have to go thru just to get something replaced.Thats why a warranty dosent mean much to me anymore.I figure Im pretty much on my own with the whole boat.I remember things like that when it comes time to buy a new one.Thanks for taking the time to write.If they dont replace it soon I will.Im going fishing one way or the othere.I didnt by it to sit in the garage.

Latest posts

Back