GAS TANK BLOW BACK

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Anyone ever have gasoline blow back out when you open the gas cap? I have a 2021 Nitro Z19 Sport. Put 5 1/2 gallons of gas in it last Thursday. Tank is only 1/2 full. Yesterday I was going to add another 5 gallons I opened the gas cap and got covered in gasoline. Happened once before, but could not reproduce situation at Tracker service center. The boat is covered, but has vent holes in the canvas cover. There was a whooshing or suction sound as gas came up and out of the pipe.

My gasoline soaked shirt

Attachments

• B971C26C-25C6-41BF-A3FC-51543B9FA57C.jpeg
    B971C26C-25C6-41BF-A3FC-51543B9FA57C.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 27
  • C84F2C19-E8C1-440F-A088-86622C0E77CD.jpeg
    C84F2C19-E8C1-440F-A088-86622C0E77CD.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 31
Jim, is exactly right. I was cautioned about that when I picked up our new Z19. It is a sealed system to reduce emissions. Keep your hand on the cap and push the latch button so the pressure can release slowly.

Jim, is exactly right. I was cautioned about that when I picked up our new Z19. It is a sealed system to reduce emissions. Keep your hand on the cap and push the latch button so the pressure can release slowly.
Thanks for information. That could be it. Would have been nice if the dealer warned me of this. Seems to put a lot of internal pressure on the tank. Luckily it was in a parking lot and not over the water. Does this means it hold more water vapor to?

Anyone ever have gasoline blow back out when you open the gas cap? I have a 2021 Nitro Z19 Sport. Put 5 1/2 gallons of gas in it last Thursday. Tank is only 1/2 full. Yesterday I was going to add another 5 gallons I opened the gas cap and got covered in gasoline. Happened once before, but could not reproduce situation at Tracker service center. The boat is covered, but has vent holes in the canvas cover. There was a whooshing or suction sound as gas came up and out of the pipe.
Showed Tracker Marine dealer a video of the vacuum when I open my gas cap yesterday. They think the cap is defective and will be getting a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.MOV
    3.2 MB
My gasoline soaked shirt
UPDATE: Tracker Marine replaced the gas cap and another internal part to stop gas from coming out. Nitro Marine didn't seem too worried about it at first, as almost 3 months had gone by before it was fixed. After I filled out a survey describing the 19 damaged, broken and repaired parts on this new boat did they take action. I'm down to just three items, replace the dash with the hold in it, damaged bimini top frame and replace rusting and pitted prop.

Hi. Saw your post from last year about the Gas/venting issue. Do you recall what the internal part is they replaced? Mine is a 2019 Z19 sport and haven't had any issues, but last week I opened the gas cap got the big whoosh and fuel came out. Tried to refuel with my gas cans but the gas fills up the fuel tube and gurgles down. I repeat the process to add more gas. Takes about 10 min to add 5 gallons. For sure replacing the cap, just curious about the internal part.

Hi. Saw your post from last year about the Gas/venting issue. Do you recall what the internal part is they replaced? Mine is a 2019 Z19 sport and haven't had any issues, but last week I opened the gas cap got the big whoosh and fuel came out. Tried to refuel with my gas cans but the gas fills up the fuel tube and gurgles down. I repeat the process to add more gas. Takes about 10 min to add 5 gallons. For sure replacing the cap, just curious about the internal part.
The work order shows “Replaced Pressure Valve and gas cap. Part #’s. TR303809. Kit amp vullage 2 $146.68. TR167292 FUEL FILL ANGLE PR $150.77. LABOR RATE $110.00 HR , $82.50. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much. Sorry to hear you've had issues with yours. We've been fortunate not to have any problems. This is the first thing to happen. I really appreciate your help!

Attachments

• 20200430_192922.jpg
    20200430_192922.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200518_191232.jpg
    20200518_191232.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 21
Got most everything fixed now. Great boat, just was full of problems. Had taken over a year to fix the big items. By the way do you know what year and month your motor was made? Mine was 1 year and 3 months old when it was delivered to me.

How do I know for sure the year of the motor? I don't see any obvious labels on engine or under cowl. The title reads "Model-200L PRO XS OPTI year 2018".

We bought it brand new in 2019 it was on serious discount and in another state. I recall it being 1 of 8 2-strokes left in May 2019.

Showed Tracker Marine dealer a video of the vacuum when I open my gas cap yesterday. They think the cap is defective and will be getting a new one.
Wow… that does seem like excessive pressure. My Z20 hasn’t near that much internal pressure.

Latest posts

Back