Word to the wise...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I notice a lot of threads where someone buys a new boat and then find out there's problems with the boat. Now a motor you can't tell if you got a good one until you break it in and run it awhile but, a boat should be checked thoroughly before haulin' it home. So if anybody is interested in buying new...check everything! A lot of times they'll switch out to another boat if it's serious enough. If you take it home and use it...it's pretty much your baby.

If I hadn't had the Credit Union hold my check...I don't think I would have got a new boat and I don't think I could have dealt with the problems with the other one...too many.

TEE

Great advice TEE.

For sure don't hand over a cashier's check until you've had the walk-around, inspected EVERYTHING to make sure it's in order, and asked every question you can possibly think of. When you hand them the check, you've basically told them that the boat is acceptable to you as-is - signed papers or not.

You got it Mo....I checked everything and I mean EVERYTHING! Screws,bolts,wiring,hoses etc......Also check decks for any loose supports or bad components. Seems to be a lot of those lately....like I said..I'm just tryin' to help someone else from having to go thru what I did. It's your money....

TEE

Most marine surveyors will peform what is known as a "pre-purchase survey," and such a service is just as valid for a new boat as it is for a used one.

It's a service usually performed on larger boats, but if you are going to plunk down $35K on a boat, the extra few hundred bucks for the survey is probably worth it.

A marine surveyor can spot manufacturing problems in the hull, deck, and systems, and make recommendations for correcting faults.

Your dealer might not love you if you do this, but hey, it's not his money until he sells you a decent boat.

i agree that the boats should be thoughly checked out. however, there are a lot of problems that can come up and bite you later. WHY should you have to have a NEW boat checked out when it is backed by the manufactures warranty unless the manufacturer doesn't back its warranty? If a product is properly designed, manufactured, assembled, and set up correctly, there shouldn't be major problems. If a major problem does come up, the rig should be satisfactorly fixed in short order or the boat replaced. I think TEE's situation was awesome with the credit union holding up payment. without payment, tee got results. also, i got a rule that i follow which is no test drive, no sell. i think that the cheque is the only leverege the buyer has. After knowing Bob Wateski (great guy) and the problems and service he has had with tracker's warranty, i know i have very little faith in trackers warranty as i wonder how many others they have turned their back on. i would think the survey of the rig would be a good thing, but you shouldn't have to do this on a new rig. i think it great advice, but you shouldn't have to do that. checking out lemon laws in your state would be a good thing to check on also, no matter what brand of car or boat you are buying.

jd

James...I kinda' lucked into that really. I had no idea that a credit union would do that but, am glad they did. They even called the BPS in Cinci to make sure I was a happy camper. If y'all go thru a Credit Union....let them do the footwork.

TEE

James - I can't speak for new Boats, 'cause my Tracker was bought new but I bought the extended warranty Just In Case, and typicaly buy my vehicles 1-2 years old with a year or so left on the manufacturers warranty so someone ELSE typicaly find the early defects. BUT on a home (new or used) i'd definetly get a full structural and mechanical/electrical inspection - as Rich said a few hundred $$ it's worth it.

Being only 3 years into the real boating world, I too have been amazed at the difference between Car warranties and Boats. Though on Cars as well i've had almost EVERY dealership (on both new and used warrantied vehicles) TRY their HARDEST NOT to cover items. This includes Nissan, Honda, Ford, Mercury and with my dad Lincoln. Now Mazda was the BEST to deal with they even FOUND things to repair under warranty when I didn't (it was a used car with 1 year left on the warranty and I had a dealer check it out before purchase).

I guess it will be like Cars, until more of US either don't buy or refuse to buy from manufactures who do NOT honor and support thier warranties, there is no incentive for the manufacturers to change.

Tee,

i've never been in a credit union, but after reading your post about your situation a while back, i am considering joining one. sounds like they really took care of you and kept you from having to haggle with the dealer or tracker.

Trep,

i agree with you. i tend to buy used items that are still fairly new also. i think inspections are a good thing and from the suggestions of this board, i will probably have one done on any new used boat i purchase just to get some piece of mind. definately on a house. i guess what troubles me is wateski's situation as i hate to see anybody not treated right. hope you never have to use the warranty but it is a good thing to have. i bought mine used and have been extremely happy with my boat even though it is my first bass rig and i knew very little about it, other than it looked cool, seemed fast, and was better than anything i had ever had, and i knew i made a good deal. i've had one experience with a car concerning warranty but it took many a trips to the service dept and (5) side panels installed and (2) new dashes installed in my car to get rid of a squeek that would drive you nuts. what is funny, a regional guy came down, drove the car, inspected it and found the problem in 5 minutes. it turned out to be a 39 cent fender washer that was missing in the door hinge which was making the side door panel rub the dash. the car was a toyota, and even though it had the problem, toyota worked their arse off to take care of it. for that, i respect their company and wouldn't worry about them standing behind the warranty. when the dealer couldn't take care of it, toyota stepped in and made sure it was taken care of. with the car warranties, it seems you have some recourse if there is a difference of interpretation or disagreement as the mfg's have regional reps and then corporate and then arbitration before legal action is needed. with boats, it seems the mfg as the choice to cover their warranty or not. what is a person to do when the mfg don't stand behind the warranty? maybe they will come up with something called "warranty insurance" for these situations :)

anyways, sorry to everyone for a bit of negativity regarding the warranty. i just hope wateski gets taken care of as he cannot even use his boat after sending it back to the warranty center for repair as besides having an transom hook and not getting on plane, it now takes on water. i guess the message is buyer beware and check out everything you can. i still say that don't buy it if you cant drive it first. in fairness, i'm sure tracker has taken care of a lot folks the right way but sometimes the good stories are not always told.

jd

Ya'll are just trying to get me to chime in, but you know I would ge jumped if I do, so ...............

I will say when I first started looking at new boats 4 years ago (I wanted my first one with a steering wheel to be new and did not know anything about boat building/quality or motors) I was just AMAZED at the 1 year warranties on boat/motor. Granted today a lot of the motor makers are offering 3,4,5 and higher year warranties, but the basic warranty on a boat ($5k base 16fter to $40k 'glass rigs) is still 1 year. That amazes me to no end. How would we feel if we went in to the local BMW dealer and while we were signing on the $40,000 line for a 530i the dealer says "by the way we just changed our warranty, it's now 1 year, 12,000 miles which ever comes first!" MAN would I get upset!!!

I know Rich and some others who have been around the industry and researched it longer then I will have some answers, but to me it seems it's just A) not enough volume in the individual makers/brands to justify the extra warranty, B) people don't complain and STOP buying boats because of it or C) the quality across the industry is just poor compared to Cars since most have a lot of Hand Made items and it would be too cost prohibitive to offer more than 1 year.

So far I can say my 5 Year extended warranty has NOT been used once. I almost HOPE for a major engine failure to make it worth my while - Not really, don't want to be out of the water that long!!!

Uh oh Trep....you definitely shouldn't have said that...TAKE IT BACK.....TAKE IT BACK...

TEE

Your right TEE it's murphy's law!!! LOL

Your O.K. now...I think the fishin' God's didn't hear you.

TEE

NEWSFLASH!!!

Michael Trepper just had the powerhead blow on his Mercury and Tracker Marine will not honor the extended warranty since he wears a silly hat and can't fish!!

Just kiddin Trep!! Did you know that I am the "Trep" of turkey hunting?? I can't get a wild turkey like you can't fish!

Bob G.

Hey can I copyright "Trep", like Phil Jackson did for "ThreePeat!!"

It's always a mixed feeling as the end of a warranty period comes up. If you didn't "use" the warranty sufficiently you feel like you wasted money (even though you go into it looking at it as a cheap insurance policy) and if you DO use it and come out ahead you wonder if you should have bought the boat/vehicle because will it cost you that much in repairs going forward.

I look at it as a Sunk Cost. That boat/warranty is paid off and IF something happens in the next 21 months then i'm in great shape!!

Trep,

I paid cash for my boat and the extended warranty. I hope nothing happens, but if it does, I'm hoping it's not so painful. The boat dealer sees me once a year for winterization. I've had my truck for 13 months and have been very lucky. The service department at my Chevy dealer doesn't even know me and I want to keep it that way!

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back