Wife wants to buy me a fishfinder!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK - Long story short wife shows me the latest BPS ad and says "you want a new fish finder?" I just about fell out of my chair!!! LOL

So, right now I have an Eagle Strata 128 on the bow and a 'bird 200 at the console (with the temp gauge). Don't know how much the wife is looking to spend, so any suggestions? I figure $300 is the MOST she'd be looking to blow. I know Steve R. just got a Matrix (I think 37??). Don't know if I should ask her to go like $150 each and replace both or keep my Eagle and get a better unit to replace the 5 yearold Humminbird??

Idea's guys?

Trep

I just bought (couldn't resist) a Bottom Line 320 for $120 at Sportsman's Warehouse. They were marked down from $150 or $170. The 480 version is down to like $160 or so. Side-by-side, I couldn't tell enough of a difference to warrant paying more. They have a larger screen than Lowrance/Eagle 320/480 models. Yeah, you don't have one locally I'm sure, but hey, thought I'd share.

Perhaps an Eagle FishElite 480 (the one with the GPS) might be worthy of consideration?

I second the Matrix. They are great units. I have the 47 3d and the 17 on the bow. You get a really good deal with the trade in program.

Rich D

My Nitro has a Matrix 35 on the bow. Why don't you get her to buy you the boat instead? Ha!

Lol at Teri. Trep she is right, and by the looks of some of her picts it has good fish catching mojo too.

Michael,

Talk to Greg about the Humminbirds.. Not only do they have a trade-in policy but will also swap transducers for you. That way you don;t have to but a trolling motor transducer.

Bill

Send a email off to Greg, see what happens.

Bill - I've not yet bought a Trolling motor transducer just use a pipe clamp on the regular ones, so far so good.

Teri - I told ya, wait a year and drop the price a bit, and I might be interested. Not in the financial cards this year for a new boat, and since i want to pay cash need to wait till april/may of next year at the earliest. But if I were you with 2 boats (payments or not) i'd not keep it if you had too.

Trep

Trep,

I ended up buying 2 new Matrix 37's.I was only looking to buy one new FF,but with the trade in price,I got 2 for $380.

Couldn't pass up the deal.After comparing the features for the price,it seems like the best deal going.

Plus having Greg around to help out with any problems is a big plus.

Steve

Anyone know how to contact Greg at Humminbird? I am looking to upgrade myself.

Greg will look into this email before long. Also, look him up on the member list, and send him an email.

Greg Walters

Tex

Thats it Steve, Hose Clamp thingymabobbiewiget!!! LOL

Trep,

I'm with Bill on the skimmer transducer with the clamp...UGGGH! We need to get you stylin' with the sexy people. ;>)

Harpo

Trep, I too got a Matrix 37 from greg. Cost was $184.95 SHIPPED. I sent them my old stock unit that came with the boat and got the new unit...total turnaround time was about 9 days including weekend.

I like the new unit, just gotta figure it out.

Heeeey..

I use my skimmer on mine also..It's a free trade-in but I've never had any problems yet.

Of course...I'm sexy enough already..LOL

Steve

Steve R,

Yep, Sunday was my first time on the water since November. Like the detail much more than my old one and like that I have a FF with temp at the console since my old one didn't.

Can't beat the deal IMO. How about you?

The skimmer transducer will work fine but if you can get the puck type for the trolling motor, why not do it? I'm sorry and don't mean to offend but the skimmer and hose clamp on a trolling motor is so ugly:) You could also just tie a rope with knots around the trolling motor and when you put it down the rope will tell you how deep it is....

Bill

I actual like the way the skimmer looks, it's sleek and looks like a mini trolling motor head unit and blends in better I think.
trolling%20motor%20transducer.jpg

Trep, the onyl problem with the skimmer style mounted liek that is the bracker is a MAGNET for weeds. The puck style is much better in weeds.

Trep, mine is the skimmer type mounted just like the picture. It works fine, the only thing I've noticed is in shallow water it will kick up if I hit bottom with it.

Gene

I eliminated the bracket and just used two cable ties to attach the transducer to the hose clamp, much lower profile and no problems.

Rich D

MIchael,

I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent BUT look at the two pictures you sent! You don't see a major difference? I wasn't just talking about the hose clamp! And don't forget, the first thing you mentioned was a PIPE CLAMP.

Bill

Latest posts

Back