Questions about fish finders . . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brumbaugh

Reaction score
I've had my boat for a few months now and am not quite satisfied with the fishfinder that came with it. It is a Lowrance X37 I believe. I'd like something with better resolution and some more features. It is hard to spot baitfish and structure on this model. If I buy a new one to replace it I think this one might work well up front off of the trolling motor.

I've been looking at Bass Pro and two brands/models have my interest. I want to stay under about $300 if possible. I'm guessing that Lowrance is making Eagle fish finders or vice versa judging by the features and style of the cases. The two models I'm comparing are the Lowrance X125 for $300 and the Eagle FishMark 480 for $200. Both models feature 480X480 resolution, 16 levels of grayscale, I believe a 5" display, 200kHz skimmer w/ up to 60 degree coverage, sealed & waterproof, and a one year warranty. The only difference is in the Peak-to-Peak power. The Lowrance has 2400 watts for depths to 900' and the Eagle has 1500 watts for depths to 800'. I may not understand the importance of the watt thing yet so someone chime it if I'm headed a stray here.

Where I'm fishing, and where I'll probably always fish, I don't see the need for really deep looking fish finders. My water here is only about 150' at the max. With a price $100 cheaper it looks as if the Eagle is the better deal. Especially if Lowrance is actually making the units.

What do you guys think about the two fish finders? If faced with these two to pick form what would you choose?Any other options I should consider?

Thanks,

Ranger413

Ranger,

Take a look at the new Humminbird Matrix units as well. The 27 has 4000 watts ptp, 640x320 display, dual beam sonar at either 200 or 83 khz, 1500ft max depth and 12 lvl greyscale. It should run you about $250. I have two matrix units and they are great units. They have a feature that they call RTS, which acts similar to a flasher, it sends a "raw signal" faster than a normal display. It is great when running wot. I also got the optional gps antennae hooked to both.

They are a step above the old humminbird units.

Rich D

Can't wait to hear the input on this thread - I am also considering the same two units.

Let's hear it...

I had a Matrix 25 on my old boat which I really liked a lot. I sold that and am getting ready to upgrade the one that came on my PT-175. I am getting another Matrix but this time I am getting the Matrix 27, which is the newer version with higher resolution than the 25 was. I never bought the GPS add on but that will be on my Christmas list for sure this year!

Ranger413,

I have the Eagle FishElite 480, the same as the FishMark 480 with GPS added. I have a Humminbird on the bow, the Eagle is on the back. The bird is going away quick! Eagle and Lowrance are the same products. A few small differences, watts and a few small menu options. Go to the Eagle and Lowrance websites. You can download an emulator of each product, play with all the menus and such and see what you really like. The accessories are almost all interchangeable between Eagle and Lowrance. For the money, I personally think Eagles are great.

JB

Except for a couple of very specific features, and possibly overall "power"... the eagle 480 is the Lowrance X125... same company produces both. (more or less).

If it weren't for already haveing the LMS 480, I would seriously consider the Hummingbirds... from what I understand they have come forward along way.

I am going to voice an opinion here so take it for what it cost you. I have an Old Eagle on the bow and a brid 400tx on the console. For the money the bird does more than I can ask for. Yes even after a lot of tweaking it does lose bottom over 40mph some times? But at 40 mph does it matter? The ducer is on the back so I will have hit land before it even see's it? It does a great job at slower speeds and the speed and temp are a plus. Bottom line. Buy the best you can afford and learn to use it properly.

BF

Ranger,

I recently replaced my X37 with the Eagle Fishmark 480 and I am very satisfied with it. The other benefit is that the Eagle uses the same transducer as the X37 so you don't have the problem of redrilling and running the cable for a different tranducer. Also, the swivel base from the X37 will fit the mount for the 480. You will need to move the base about 1 inch to the right.

The Fishmark 480 has an amber backlight instead of a white one, and a bit less power than the X125. Other than that I could not find many differences. The X125 does not use the same tranducer as the X37.

I have the older Eagle III on the bow and have been VERY happy with the resolution....and THAT makes all the diff in the world. I'm not real fond of "bells and whistles" when it comes to finders. Eagle is made Lowrance, so you can't go wrong with either...just make sure you go as much peak to peak wattage for the money:)

I used to bash Humminbird all the time. I have a Matrix 17 on the bow now. Very improved unit. I have had some Eagle Fisheasy series sounders (older) - that I don't like at all.

One big negative for me with the Eagle line, is that most (if not all) of them, will not save your settings (one of the main items that Lowrance leaves off the less expensive Eagle's). Maybe they have addressed them.

I have also had a Garmin 160 and 240 on a previous boat. The 240 is still available, and is a very nice unit.

Take a close look at the Matrix line of sounders. They are really improved.

Tex

afrifle -

Where do you download the emulators? I went to Lowrance web site and could find it.

thanks!

Thanks simnitro

I was looking for a link on the actual product page - silly me.

Well, I himmed and I hawwed over it for awhile. Due to PawPawOzark's post I decided that the Eagle unit would be the least work and went with it. Installation was way too easy. Due to the fact that it used the same transducer and plug, all I did was remove the mount for the old unit and screw on the new one, plugged it in and we have power.

I spent about 1/2 hour tonight rigging up my X37 on the bow. I was surprised to find a set of wires ready for this application under the deck up front. Seems like Tracker was expecting me to do this. A ground and hot were there waiting for me. I've got the transducer mounted on the trolling motor and she seems to be working just fine. I'll have the boat on the lake tomorrow night so I'll post my findings, both on the new Eagle and how the X37 works up front off of the trolling motor.

Ranger413

Latest posts

Back