mounting transducer on trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
Ok I haven't mounted a transducer on a trolling motor. I have a Matrix 17 unit and would like to try it out with the transducer on the trolling motor. I remember back in the day that when people started putting them on trolling motors there were some issues with the magnetic field coming off the trolling motor screwing up the transducer. Has this issue went away or are there still some trolling motors that are a problem. My trolling motor is a new MK. All Terrain not one of the Maximizer models. The reason I ask is my brother in law last year tried mounting a eagle unit on his MG trolliing motor and as soon as he hit the switch on the trolling motor the graph went south and never worked again. He hasn't replaced the transducer yet so he doesn't know if it was the graph or the transducer the went south. I don't want to fry my transducer if there is a chance that it might. I can't remember who on this board is the humminbird expert but if you can answer my question it would be great. I really like the Matix 17 and don't want to roast it. Thank for any info anyone has.:unsure:

I'm no expert but I play one on the internet.:rolleyes:

I, along with many many others have TM mounted transducer and know of no problems associated with the magnetic field of the motor. May have been a problem many years ago but I'm not aware of it. I do prefer the transducer that is made to be mounted on a TM instead of a skimmer transducer that is adapted to fit, but that is more of an esthetic issue than anything else.

Harpo

I've run Humminbirds on my T motor for 10 years on 3 boats (yup my 14ft Jon boat counts as a boat!! LOL), no issues of interference at all. I've used the transom mount transducers on the trolling motor and for the first time now have the puck style made for the T motor, and both kinds have worked with no problem.

The interference back in the day, was most likely the result of using the same electrical source, probably didn;t have a isolated TM Batt source, if you hook up your FF to the cranking batt you should be good to go.

CJL

Ed,

I have a Matrix 37 (skimmer trans :D )mounted on my Minn Kota 55 AT with no problems. I power it off of the cranking battery so there is no interference from the T.M., even with the noise filter shut off.

Greg thanks for the reassuarance. I got the transom transducer installed and tried it out today. It worked fine. I already had the bracket so I tried it out. My son and I decided we would pick up a regular TM transducer and also another mounting head and cables. That way we can just move the finder it self to where we need it - front or back. It was nice having one up front. Thanks for the advice folks.:D

Latest posts

Back