Fishfinder - what to get?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

The console fishfinder on my boat crapped out. It was a Lowrance X71. Already tried swapping to a new transducer (no easy fix there) and speaking with Linda Colt from Lowrance customer service. She said given the age and non-serviceability of the head unit, replacement was my best option. So I'm in the market for a new (more reliable!) fishfinder.

Dick's Sporting Goods (MUCH closer than Bass Pro) has the Humminbird 565 on sale with rebate for $160. They are also selling the Eagle FishMatrix 320 for $120 (no rebate required). So my question is which one should I get? The Humminbird does have a dual beam transducer going for it, as well as a slightly higher resolution LCD backlight screen. However, the Eagle will fit in the old Lowrance mount eliminating the need to drill extra holes for the head unit (more a cosmetic issue) and possibly the transom as well (no danger of leaks using the old mount!). Will I really notice a significant difference with the dual beam?

Not looking for anything too fancy as I'm trying to stick to a budget (about $150) nor do I think I would get the most out of the higher end units. Just want a good picture of what's below the boat.

Thanks much in advance!!

Jim - If you go with the H-bird please make SURE that the transducer is the dual beam. I bought the old 400 dual beam for a very low price (stopped making them) only to find out that it didn't include the dual transducer. Only dual beam "ready". While the Eagle is a good unit as the low end of the Lowrance line of finders, I would go with the H-bird (assuming it has the dual-beam transducer).

Jim,

I would go with the H-Bird unit. I have H-Bird unitsd on my boat and love them . I also have had great service from the company on them. The dual beam you will like.

Dan

I'm like you and don't put new holes in the boat if I don't have to do so. That is one reason why I've stayed with The Bird as I upgraded my equipment--same mount and transducer for the most part. What is nice though is that The Bird makes great electronics and I've not been disappointed. I like my 565 and will be moving it to the front as I replaced it at the pilot seat with a 595 [allowed me to remove the GPS I mounted in the dash; I covered those holes with a new Nitro name plate-:lol:].

I hear the words "stay within budget" and "just want a good picture of what's below the boat." Combined with the "no new holes in boat" and I'm thinking the Eagle will meet all those requirements.

Jim,

You defined price/rebates as an issue as well as mounting location/existing holes. You indicated nothing about the performace requirements other than a dual beam ducer/resolution? Why do you want a dual beam transducer? We use them off-shore for deep water sounding, but not to much practicle application in-shore.

What do you want to use the unit for? Are you just interested in depth determination, structure definition, target separation, color and thermocline definition?

I work with allot of these type items for the Naval Special Warfare Groups and "Get what you pay for" applies to any of the sonars. I have two LCX-26C-HD's in my rig. Both big screen GPS/color sonar. Over kill for some folks, but I like target separation definition at depth and can only get that with the bigger color units.

Sorry Jim; I missed the part where you were going to need the equipment for Special Ops. My recommendation didn't take that into account.

:D:D:D Good one Marty! Not looking for any "special ops." Just trying to figure out the difference (i.e., advantages) of single beam vs. dual beam. That and screen resolution seem to be the biggest feature differences between the Eagle and H-bird. I also recognize that I'm doing a bit of apples to oranges comparison. If I had to boil it down to a simple question - it would be whether the extra $40 was well spent on getting a dual beam ready unit (with dual beam transducer!) for the type of fishing I do (inland, freshwater only).

Thanks and keep the tips/advice coming!

I've got 'Bird's all over my boat now. 787 on the bow. 595 on the console. 981cSI to the side of my console. All work very well. I believe that HumminBird has stepped up their technology and the products/service they deliver in the last 3-4 years.

Having said that, get over 'drilling holes in your boat'. If you upgrade/change/work on your boat (most of us do), you are going to be doing some drilling and such along the way. Look for innovative ways to cover 'older areas' - such as the point above with the Nitro sign/emblem.

I don't think, from your comments, that you will be particularly fond of the Eagle. Eagle is a 'dumbed down Lowrance unit'. For me, Lowrance certainly makes a good product (ie: some like apples, some like oranges - both groups like fruit). But, selling a dumbed down unit, doesn't make that much sense to me. If you want to stay with the Lowrance family, opt for a better unit - you'll be happier in the long run, even if it costs a few more pennies.

Tex

Well now, I don't necessarily think the term dumbed down fits; I liken it more to a Chrysler v. Plymouth comparison-similar items with one having fewer bells and whistles. We could get into a long discussion here and every one us could come up with a way to gradually nudge Jim into an $1100 unit. I'm not sure Lowrance even makes a comparable simple finder to the 565; I think they leave that to their Eagle Division.

Buy what you need and will use. The lakes are covered with boats that can electronicall pick a dead gnats arse off the lake bottom, but the electronics are only being used to keep the boat high and dry.

Still feel that a good policy is to drill necessary holes, avoid them when you can. Every hole you drill in your boat is an opportunity for a crack--seen or unseen--to develop.

Nothing creative about covering up my holes; I pulled the name plate to mount the GPS.

Sorry Marty - I won't be tempted. ;) Had several very good comebacks to the 'dumbed down' remarks, bukt will simply leave it alone. Just simply a comment that I have heard/read in quite a number of places; and within a number of discussions.

Funny how, over the past several years, the MFG that I used to really love - Garmin - is not really mentioned that much anymore. Many think of Garmin as the 'king of gps', but I really don't hear/read much about their Sonar/Fishfinder business/product anymore.

Tex

I've had a Hummingbird.... didn't like it. Replaced it with a Garmin.... it broke prematurely. Replaced it with an Eagle 320... loved it. Moved it to the bow and replaced it with an Eagle 480... loved it. Bought a new boat and had a Lowrance 520c installed on the bow and installed the Eagle 480 on the bow. I tried the Lowrance X96 that came with the boat on the bow and it perform just as good as the the Eagle 480 except for one thing. Whenever I get in super shallow water or raise the TM without turning the unit off, the Eagle is very slow if not impossible to recover without rebooting it. The Lowrance will reset itself. That's all the difference I can detect.

There are several products that I have just decided that are just better then all the rest and there's just no reason to shop around, no matter how attractive the competition is. Minn Kota trolling motors, Guest chargers, Shimano reels, Power Pro line, to name a few. I include Lowrance/Eagle in that list for both their excellent quality but also their unsurpassed customer service in the person of Linda Colt. Linda C is the Sue D of Lowrance. If everything else is equal she alone makes all other fishfinders/GPS units seem inferior.

Hey Jim,

My experience with the Eagle 320 is much like SoonerFan's. Here's a link to a FishMark 320 simulator you can play around with. It may help you decide one way or another. Whatever unit you choose will probably serve you well.

Take care....DH

scroll down and click on FishMark 320 emulator. This will download the emulator for you.
http://www.eaglenav.com/en/Downloads/Product-Emulators/

Couldn't sit on the sidelines without making a few comments of my own here:

Actually the FF 565 is a "dumbed down" version of the 727 minus the GPS capabilities, ability to work with the Smart Accessories like the WeatherSense Barometer and is not user software upgradeable. I actually like the phrase

Greg - thanks for chiming in. I was hoping someone would explain the dual beam benefits for freshwater users (although MikeXpress did note the saltwater application!). I'm leaning towards the 565 primarily because my experience with Humminbird products has universally been positive. Granted, that's based on having two Tracker branded versions and the Piranha Max 10 portable, but in the many years of service for each, all of them have worked as designed without fault. The only downside is that I have not had to utilize Humminbird's customer service to get a problem rectified - no problems!

By contrast (understanding this was just ONE unit), my experience with Lowrance has not been so great. The X71 on my new-to-me boat crapped out less than two months after I got it (albeit at 5 years total age). It was working fine for the few weeks I had it, then just froze. While Linda Colt of Lowrance customer service was very nice and did respond promptly, the only real alternative I was told was having to buy a new unit. No repair option, no swap out discount, not even a "hey, we've got some refurbished/outdated/used/factory-seconds units that are discounted from full MSRP" option. I understand that the units aren't supposed to last forever, but a unit with no moving parts to wear out - and that does not show any signs of abuse or misuse should not crap out after only five years. So that makes me suspicious of the Lowrance/Eagle line. Again, this opinion is based on a single experience, but with costs for new units easily over $100, I question whether its worth the gamble. About the only thing going for the Lowrance/Eagle is price and ease of installation (due to what was originally mounted on the boat).

So thanks again to Greg and the others that chimed in on this topic. I sincerely appreciated everyone's comments!

Sorry Jim; I missed the part where you were going to need the equipment for Special Ops. My recommendation didn't take that into account.

Hummm? Must not have read the rest.

:lol::lol::lol:

Jim, my Garmin was around a year and a half old when I scrapped it. Garmin would repair if for something like $85 and I could buy the Eagle 320 for $129. The Hummingbird was a little over 2 years old. It's problems were related more to just being the cheapest model possible that Tracker put on. It was barely functional as a fishfinder... more of a bottomfinder and water thermometer.

Jim,

I'm a little predudiced because all I've ever owned is Humminbird.. What I have on the bow of my boat right now, though I haven't had a great chance to use it, is a Humminbird

585c. "c" is for color and what little I've used it I love it. So would you.. I'll send you the operations Manual to read if you think you're at all interested? Just let me know.

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back