Which would you buy 200hp or the 225 on the Z8

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few have told me the 200hp merc pro xs just does not pull the z8 good enough. Any comments from the 200hp owners or others--HELP-- would like to know soon since the 225 is about $3k more. Also whats the torq motor for the extra $170 or so.

My opinion - max it out. I'd put the 225 on it if choosing between the two. Look back through posts on this site and others to see the number of people that want to repower their boat at a later date because they just aren't happy with the speed, holeshot, etc...

All the best,

Glenn

Max it out. If for no other reason than re-sale. I'd rather have the hp when I needed it. The z8 hull is close to what my 929 was and I can't imagine not having the 225 on that hull unless you fished nothing but small lakes.

TOXIC

The max on that boat is a 250. Having said that the 225 is plenty of motor on that boat.At 70 plus mph I don't know why you would need any more. It has an awesome holeshot too.

I was thinking the same question a few weeks ago as i plan on getting a new Z8 next spring, but i really wonder how someone can say a 200 does not pull it, but a 250 can? I dont have a huge motor so i dont know the diffence but is 25hp extra really THAT much?

also from what i have always read on this forum, i beleive people recommend getting the non- XS version. just so you dont have to replace the "carbon" parts as much? i may be off on that but i recall something about the XS oonly have a 1-3mph diffrence but more maintence?

Personally if i were buying as Z8 it would be with a 250 pro XS on it. In a nutshell when it comes to horsepower you will never regret having more, ever. It has nothing to do with top speed either, all of the motors will move it plenty fast enough. Think of when you have the boat loaded to the max with two guys, a bunch of gear, full livewell and fuel. The smaller motor will struggle getting that load going, now throw some really rough water into the mix and you will be wishing you has opted for more power when you are spearing waves because you cant get on top of them.

I own a a Z7 with a 175 Pro XS, i had options of a 150, 175 Pro XS or a 200hp. I knew i would not have been happy with the 150 so i scratched it off my list instantly. It came down to the 175 Pro XS which makes darn close to 200HP or the 200 opti which makes a little more then 200HP. I went with the 175 because of fuel economy and i wanted the extra goodies the pro XS comes with. The boat is plenty fast with the 175 and generally runs great. Do i wish i got the 200? Yep, there are times i do. Those times are mainly when i have an extra guy or two and a full tank of gas. If i had a do over i think i would opt for the 200 just for the extra torque and ponies.

basstrackerma, as far as Pro XS vs non Pro XS goes. I would get the XS all the way. Maint wise there is no difference between the two. The big difference is the solid motor mounts, low water pickup, carbon fiber reeds and upgraded fuel injection. The Pro XS is said to be better on fuel vs the non pro XS motor and the carbon fiber reeds are a big plus in my opinion. The regular ones come with stainless steel reeds and if you have ever had a motor crack a reed and injest it you will know why you want carbon fiber. With stainless the motor is toast at worst and at best needs a new piston and a hone job, with carbon fiber its an easy fix.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS max out the HP!!!! Period.

Performance, fuel economy and resale. If those are not good enough reasons then buy the next smaller boat and max it out.

i'm with the other guys MAX IT OUT.

that being said i can tell you the 225 proxs is plenty for that hull,

but when resale time comes you'll wish you made that extra 10/month payment.

Always buy as much motor as you can afford. If you can get the 225, do it! It's better to have and not need it than need it and not have it!

Latest posts

Back