Where would you take (VA) a new angler?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I'm taking out a bass fishing newbie this Friday, and I'm hoping to get him on some good fish. I could care less if I catch any at all, or if I even fish - I just want to put him on some fish, give him some baitcaster use instruction, and let him have a great time catching as many as possible - size isn't that important, but of course, larger fish are always welcome. Good topwater / floating worm / etc... bites that give him a good "show" would be awesome - I was thinking Chick, but I don't know what it looks like right now.

Problem is, with gas prices, time constraints, etc... I haven't had time to check anything out lately. Also - he has a VA license only - not NC, and I'm not going to have him get one for a one day trip, although it has been suggested on another site that I purchase a 10 day license for him for $10 - which isn't a bad idea at all considering my expanded choices.

So... I'm thinking of all the local places I could take him. I've got Chickahominy, James River, Northwest River, North Landing River or Nottoway in mind right now but may end up getting him a $10 license and fishing NC on Chowan or other...

Suggestions welcome (local to Tidewater VA - within about an hours drive or so...)

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn - I know it may be a bit further away but the hot side of Anna is "hot". I was out last week from 5:00-7:30 (pm) and stopped counting at 25 bass of which one was 7-2.

You are always welcome to come and visit and use the passes for the launch facility. A little quieter perhaps for a newbie with lots of small coves to tuck into while doing some "training". Give me a call or drop me an email and I'll hook you up if you'd like.

Bill,

Thank you. I greatly appreciate the offer. It's much further than I can take him though. He doesn't have a huge amount of time to do this, so I need to bring him somewhere that we have a short drive, fish, short drive back - i.e. - "family first, fun when he can" kind of deal.

All the best,

Glenn

Sounds perfect... for me to fish by myself... but that's a 3 hour drive one way - same as Bills suggestion - 6 hours on the road = about an hours fishing time for this guy.

All the best,

Glenn

take him to a smaller lake, one that does not get to much pressure. Pick a lake no bigger than 100 acreas and fish the whole thing. No need to start the outboard, just do one big circle, it should take awhile and you will find some fish

mike c

OK Glenn - Try one of the BEST small fisheries witht the largest bass in VA. Go to Briery Creek Lake near Farmville VA. In think it is trollers only but maybe under 10HP. Great fishery. My daughter went to Longwood College there and I would always tow my boat and fish for a few hours.

Don't know about the "Creek" being very friendly to a newbie with all of the flooded timber and such but Bill is right, there are some monsters in there. If it were me, I would take him to an out of the way lake that has good numbers of un-molested fish. I know there are a bunch of reservoirs in your area that are tm only, that's where I would go!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back