wheel bearings

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Acheson

Reaction score
Just got my boat out of storage 901 cdx tandem trailer. I was wondering if any of you new how to check the wheel bearings on the trailer. I know a lot of people over look them and then end up at the launch without a tire. Thought that maybe I should be changing mine this year.

Thanks

No bearing buddies?? Gotta get 'em. Minimize the maintenance, never fret again. I put them on all my trailers.;)

Geez Uncle Billy, is there ANYTHING you don't know??? LOL Great link!!

Plenty of things Michael but with all of this time on my hands when I'm not visiting Doctor's, I don't have a lot to do except to look things up.:p

Uncle Billy <------ hoping you, Beka and the boys are doing extremely well!!

Uncle Billy, that is a great site. I am not the most mechanically inclined, but when push comes to shove I CAN get the job done. I prefer to do the right things up front but as you know things do and will go wrong/break. I printed that and will use it myself next year when I get my boat out of storage.

Thanks, Randy!;)

Thanks guys

Yeah I do have Bearing Buddies that have been greased regularly but I did notice that when tight turns are made the front tires of the trailer seem to have a little toe in or toe out movement in them and I didn't know if this was common or not on tandem trailers.

Scott

Do most of our Nitro (tracker) trailers take the same Bearing Buddies size? I see that AutoZone has them and was thinking of swinging past there. I got an 2002 single axle, I think it says I need the 1". Anyone know if this is right?

On my 929 dual axle, I "had" the spring loaded zerks and overflow holes. My trailer guy disabled the spring portion and told me that putting the grease under pressure does very bad things to the seals. He told me that when the spring extends or you get overflow out the hole, you have overfilled your hubs. That's why he doesn't like bearing buddies either. For what it's worth. Mine have been fine for 3 years of long range towing. I just give them a shot of grease a couple of times a season.

TOXIC

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help

Good Luck in fishing and your lines tight.

bandit

Interesting TOXIC, I guess I could see why some guys wouldn't like bearing buddies if it puts a lot of pressure on the seals... never thought about that. I just hate it when I fill up the bearings in the spring, the first trip I take my rims are covered in grease!!

That seems strange; I've never had grease on my wheels-never. Are you missing your caps?

Yeah, there's no caps on mine.. it was that way when I bought it. Do they make little rubber caps that cover the entire hub?

Yes they do. Cheap too. Dont go to the dealer. Look them up on the internet.

The "toe in" "toe out" is normal when making tight turns. Its actually the tires, not the rims.

Snooter- Got a new set at NAPA for about six bucks. Check them out, they will save you a lot of rim cleaning!

tim

Tim, I went to a NAPA store by my house last night and these people had never heard of what I was talking about.

What do the caps look like that you got? Do they go over the entire hub or just snap in the end?

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=5842&categoryID=496

Latest posts

Back