What do you think?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
I recently had a few issues with the service desk at my Nitro dealer that may be insignificant, but important to me. My Dual Pro charger that I got with the boat apparently malfunctioned and realy did a number on my two trolling batteries. I contacted the dealer's service people to ask what I should do and they said I could make an appointment if I wanted to wait a week or two. They also told me the batteries and charger were no longer under warranty (had them with the boat now for 14 months). I decided to troubleshoot on my own. I ended up contacting Interstate Battery to see if they might be able to assist and they had their local interstate rep call me right away to bring both trolling motor batteries to their facility to test them for free. They tested, discharged and fully charged them overnight and said they were okay. I contacted the dealer service desk again to ask about the charger and told them the batteries were fine and the person at the desk said it was out of warranty and if it was not working, might need to buy a new one. I could make an appointment to have it replaced.

Just for grins, I took out the charger from the boat and noticed a number to contact the manufacturer. I called and they told me it had a 3-yr warranty (not a 1-yr warranty like the dealer service desk stated) and if I wanted the same charger, they would replace it for free. I ended up getting a 3-bank charger from them (versus the two bank one I had) and only had to pay the delta. They are going to pick up shipping.

At this point, I was kind of mad because if I listened to the person at the service desk - I would have been out alot more money. I always bring these guys donuts and coffee when I need to bring the boat in to show my appreciation. Another time I went up to the dealer, I told them I would wait for the boat to be looked at. I went to a local shopping center and did some work on my blackberry and laptop in the parking lot while I waited. I went by about 4 hours later just to check on how things were going, only to find out that the mechanic told the front desk he wasn't going to be able to get to my boat until the next day and they never tried to contact me. I could have been sitting around the whole day!

I like the dealer in general - one of the owners who works the sales side has always been good to me throughout the whole process. The mechanic who works on my boat is really good as well. It is a family organization and I was going to buy my next boat from them in another year or two but am having second thoughts now. Should I tell the owner about my last few interactions with the service desk or just let it pass and buy a ranger or a triton? I refuse to buy a Nitro from the only other Nitro dealer in this area and the service side is very important to me.

The only good thing about this is that I have gotten alot more comfortable with wiring on my boat as I also did the final wiring on my two humminbirds versus having the dealer do it.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Thanks, Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Bill i would talk to the owner and let him know you are dissapointed, that is the only way anything will change. If he wants to retain you as a customer he will make it right by you. What you are seeing has nothing to do with the brand of boat, its all in the dealer and its people. I can tell you some horror stories about some local to us dealer of tritons and rangers that friends of mine have had. Its not always greener on the other side...

What dealer are you talkiing about? I use Marine USA in Worcester and they have been top shelf. Bob B. and his staff have always made sure i was a happy camper when i have had my boat in there and Bob has always given me good advice/tips on my boat when i needed it. He even walked me thru adjusting a friends carbs on his Merc over the phone while we were on the water and his boat was running like a bucket of bolts. Like you i like great service and they have delivered and when the time comes for me to buy a new boat they will be my forst and most likley only stop.

One other thing on the warranty. Ill bet the dealer was refering to the warranty from Nitro. The Nitro( and just about everybody else) coves the boat bow to stern for a year even if the components they used have a longer warranty. Nitro wont pay for the labor after that first year. The hull may have a linger warranty but components like chargers, lights etc are 1 year. Its just like trires on a car, if the tire has a 50k warranty the car maker will cover it for most likley the first 12k or maybe even to 36k but then its up to the company that made the tire for the remainder of the warranty. I can see where there might have been a little confusion, I would think the dealer could have been a loittle more forthcoming and let you know what needed to be done from your end.

Thanks Jim. I like Nitro and I know it isn't the boat, but if there isn't another Nitro dealer I like in the area, I would want to go with another boat manufacturer where the service group is more service-oriented. I definitely hear what you are saying about the grass being greener on the other side though. Maybe I will stop by your dealer when I am ready to buy although I originally went there and didn't like the sales guy - real sleazy sales tactics.

Again, the specific concern I have is with the service desk and it is a family-run company so I am guessing the people running the service desk are family. The sale was easy, the mechanic that works on my boat is great but the group I have the most contact with now that I have the boat is the service desk.

I will see what happens the next time I need to bring it in and if I am disapponted witht he interaction then, I will bring it up with the owner. I guess I am just disappointed with the quality of the service and will more than likely get over it as soon as I get the new charger in the boat and get on the water.

Thanks for the info on the warranty from Nitro versus the warranty from the charger manufacturer. You would think they would know that and explain it right off the bat, right?

P.S. - I still need to get to your body of water. Maybe this week or next week I will take a ride to the town hall.

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

It is very important that you talk to the managing owner operator, I run a restaurant and customer service is what keeps you open. The sad thing is many customers never approach the boss about their problems or concerns that he or she is most likely unaware of. As you said he probably is a busy man between selling boats and paying the bills he has no time to check over his employees shoulders. If you like your dealer and are as proud of your nitro boat as I am then you owe it to him to give him a phone call in a respectful way and let him know why you are afraid to continue doing business with him and ask him how he plans to keep your business. If you cut tail and run out on him it will not help him improve his business and even if you no longer want to do business with him at least he will be able to improve for the next proud nitro owner.

That

Guys,

Bottom line here is there are very few boat dealers that have good service depts. Every boat I have owned the service depts. were anywhere from just ok to piss poor. Unfortunaly most boat dealers only care about moving boats off the lot and not retaining you as a customer through their service depts. and the only reason I think they have them is that the manufacturers are requiring a service dept. to be able to sell the boat line. I think if most dealers had a choice not to provide after the sale service they would jump on that in a heart beat. just my thoughts from personal experiences. Its unfortunate that boat dealers do not put the same pride in after the sale service as does GM, Ford, Dogde, ect......My ford dealer is TOPS when it comes to service.

Bill, I agree that is is not a small issue. The dealer should have been aware (I refuse to believe that they didn't know) of the warranty term on the charger and informed you of it. He should also have told you that the labor is 1 year, and they would have to charge you to replace the unit...or you could do it yourself. It is my guess that they would have billed you for a new charger and labor, and sent the old unit back to CSI for a replacement. Then they would have a free charger for the next time. CSI (Dual Pro) has first rate service and a first rate product that they back 100%. The dealer was simply going to take advantage of that.

I learned something a long time ago, and the old adage holds true; "If you want something done right, you had better do it yourself".

Bill,

My experience at Marine USA when it came to buying my boat was great. They didnt use any sleeze tactics with me. Everything was straight forward and easy. No games no gimicks, just the way it should be. did you go to the one in Worester or NH? From what im told the satalite ones are iindependently owned and operated franchises so they can and most likley do differ form the Worcester store whee i bought mine. They also did a great job on the paperwork for regestering/insurance etc. For the first time ever getting it registed was a one trip affair because i had all the proper papers( my last boat was a nitemare) for both the boat and trailer. When you are ready to buy go tothe Worcester store and talk to Mark, hes a great guy and easy to deal with.

When it comes to customer serivce you need to shop the dealer every bit as much if not more then the boat itself. My old boat was a Champion and the dealer was an absolute nightmare to deal with on warranty work despite Champions stellar reputation. The guys in my club that own Rangers and got them in NH had terrible serivice form that dealer( they sell triton now) and the former Triton dealer in RI ( now Champion) is the total pits. They botched up just about everything they touched on my friends new Triton including ruining both heads on the motor during the 10 hour tuneup when they were trying to index the plugs.

BTW you do need to get down there. I went and did a little night fishing there over the weekend and just hammered them. i got 3 over 4# in under 3 hours.

Thanks Jim - I went to the Worcester dealer. I originally started to post here because of the questions I had about Nitro. When I initially went to your dealer, the Worcester Marine USA sales guy told me I had to make a decision by end of week because the power-up savings was going away. The dealer in NH said not to worry about that - he would honor it even if it did expire and I was talking to the owner not a sales guy. He also showed me all the boats that came from Marine USA that were in his shop getting repaired.

I think the issue is just the young kids they have at the front service desk. I will talk to the owner if I have problems the next time I go for service and see what he says. I do like the mechanic who works on my boat - I have no problem with the actual service, just the hoops and hurdles I have to go through with the service desk people scheduling and arranging any service.

Three over 4lbs? I will have to get over to town hall!

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Latest posts

Back