Well,......is it TRUE???

• Thread starter Bill McElroy [URL]http://www.flwoutdoors.com/ezine
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roll out the polygraph machines... The FBI Photo experts... And, then I'll decide my opinion...

I heard a story about a old woman here in KY who cought the "new " state record largemouth and didn't know it. Someone told her that the record was 2lbs heavier than the one she cought. It was to late to have it certified when she found out, becase she had already cleaned it! SimNitro you hear of this tale? I belive it was on fishin.com a while back.

Donnie

It's cool if they accept it. It just sets the bar a little higher for anyone else.

david....

Don,

I have heard that tale twice... one version has the fish caught and released at Herrington, another similar to your story.

Suffice it to say that I think alot of records are caught/released/eaten without a thought given to it.

If this were a world record "any other fish" would there be this much controversy? Money corrupts so many things it's ridiculas.

I thought it may have been a "tale"....but the one I heard, I belive Jim Dickens told it. He is the moderator for fishin.com, so i thought it may have a bit of truth to it. LOL Oh well I dont see anyone catching a new state record from Herington!

As a side note ...word has it that someone killed the new Kentucky white tail typical state record a few weeks ago, and it maybe the new world record. No one has seen pictures because they belive the guy is "pimping" them out for the highest dollar/ sponsorships.

Well, living here in Georgia, I hate to see the state lose such a classic record, but I am happy that a woman may have caught the new record. It's good for the sport. It will attract more woman to bass fishing.

How can that possibly be bad for the rest of us? ;)

It has got to pass all of the tests that the sanctioning organization throws at it. In this case I don't think it will just due to a bad case of circumstances (no more film, witnesses, DNR verification, etc.). That doesn't mean it isn't a record, it just means she can't prove it!! Too bad. There will be more to this story....

TOXIC

I believe it probably is a record fish, but won't be recognized due to the circumstances.

Rich D

Just my opinion ...it won't be recognized.

The reason is because of the enormous financial repercussions a new record would bring. The deciding body would probably say that a angler takes on the burden of responsibility to prove any possible record catch beyond all doubt. This proof would follow the guidelines set by the state fishing regulations. These regulations are the anglers responsibility. Failure to properly document the fish or provide the fish for examination is the anglers fault.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who picks up a fishing rod rigged for bass would fail realize a possible record bass and NOT KEEP THE FISH.

To bad for them. One thing for sure the new record isn't gonna come from Iowa.

fatrap

If it ends up making the record, maybe she'll get some big endorsement money from the rubber raft company. Might have to trade in me boat for a raft.

I agree 100% with Fatrap.....and I also think Spring Lake will see undprecedented fishing pressure in 2004!!..LOL... Someone WILL catch that fish again!

Actually, fatrap, I disagree...

The records body (IGFA, etc...) should not have any concern over the possible "financial" side of the record... they should only concern themselves with the legitimacy of the fish in question, and that all the neccesary pre-reqs have been met.

In this case, the lack of documentation hurts, and the records body has to make a decision that not only seems fair, but also doesn't open themselves up for alot of fraudulant claims. I don't envy them their decision.

The IGFA doesn't care about the money,..that part is true,...but their problem is easy to solve in my opinion,...they don't have the fish in their possession to verify their requirements much less to say it's a new record,...so it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned...

"No Fish = No Record",...HOWEVER,...she could apply for a CA "Master Angler" award under the "Catch and Release" category.....that's about ALL she should be entitled to!!

Outwardly I believe your right simnitro. In the purest sense that is what should happen, however behind closed doors I believe it WILL be a factor for the reasons I stated. Call it my cinical distrust of any group of individuals making judgements concerning others.

My problems would be the witness. Didn't know squat. Maybe he was bribed. Lack of proper measurement by quailfed DNR people or some horse @$$ decision. Have the checked the calibration of the boca scale? I just feel a new largemouth record's gonna be a locked down no questions asked all the t's crossed i's dotted type a deal. I still can't believe they threw it back. Maybe after the fact they looked at their evidence and said to themselves "What the heck lets jockey the evidence in our favor and see what shakes out."

PS even dead the fish would be worth a million bucks.

I'll buy you a beer if I'm wrongLOL>

fatrap

If the IGFA comes out and says "we cant recognize becuase of the $$ involved", I would lose all respect for that org.

However, you are probably right that it will be one of the things that is discussed in the meeting, it just _shouldnt_ be.

and Mac...

that little lake is only 75 acres... wanna bet it's wall to wall right now, and you probably couldn't even get on the thing???

Exactly,....sure wish I owned a bait/tackle store on it with the ONLY launch ramp!!!..ahahaha.....

An interesting point made on another board. Enlarge the picture and look at the hand and arm holding the fish.

Sue

"CALIFORNIA HERE I COME ,RIGHT BACK WERE I STARTED FROM.."

I don't know Sue.. I've picked that picture apart in PhotoShop and can't find anything wrong, even the shading..

Bill

How would you guys feel if the angler, her son, and the witness passed a properly administered lie detector test regarding the fish, the weight, the authenticity of the photo and the entire story? And assume the scale was independently authenticated as accurate.

Wouldn't bother me,...I'd bestow her with every "C&R" honor I could find!! LOL....and I still don't think the IGFA would recognize it as a new World Record without actually being able to "touch and feel" it so to speak. It sure would be a drag to have a World Record with an asterisk next to it,...always "under suspicion" and all.....I'd be happy for her though,...and jealous!! LOL..I Can PROMISE you this much,..if I EVER catch a fish like that,..it AIN'T GOIN' BACK!!!! ahahahahaha......

Well... Rich, people fool lie dectector test all the time but what about the next guy who comes up with a story and preps himself for the dector test? I've been toying with the idea of a cartoon deplicting a little boy with a huge bass on the scale in some backwoods general store. The propriator of the place is looking down over the counter at the barefoot boy with a willow pole, can o worms and a safety pin hook. The gag would go. Store owner says to the boy."26lbs. 10 oz....but with a safety pin hook, a willow branch fishing pole, a worm for bait, no Ranger bassboat and Roland Martin boat shoes, it's not worth a thing." wadda you think?

fatrap

I don't think it is about honesty at this point... I have no reason to question the honesty of the submitted application...

I do, however, have alot of reason to question the accuracy of the application.

From my understanding, the scale used only wieghed in 8oz increments... way to easy to say "inbetween 22 and 23, so it must be 22#8". As fatrap indicated, a record of this magnatude will have to be irrefutable. Them stating that the wieght was "between 22 and a half and 23" isnt enough.. there is no picture of the scale, no pictured measurments to even verify a 1/4 inch on this puppy makes all the difference in the world.

This is what it will boil down to.

And fatrap, I re-read your post that I "disagreed" too... I actually do agree with what you are saying... I just got off on a tangent as to the records body "considering the financial aspects" of the record. I think they should treat this as they would any other record.

I think it is a monumental feet for the young lady in question, and I wish her all the luck in the world.

You can bet she keeps a camera, cooler and alot better records in the future!

When you think about it how good were the scales back in 1933 or whatever. Whose to say ole George didn't throw a sinker or two down the ole gullet. A world record fish was probably secondary to Mr. Perrys desire to get it home and eat it.

Excitement make some people behave irrational and forget common sense. You can bet a lot of people will get an education out of this no matter what the outcome.

fatrap

Rich:

There could have been a pound of lead in the fish's gut...

I have seen my share of teen fish out here, and a few in the 20lb mark. Look at the picture of that fish. It looks like a 14lber held out way in front of the camera. And fish like that in August ? That is a little odd. And the timeframe from when it was caught to when it was submitted ? Hmmmmmmmm. Not to slam the dude and all, cause hey, if it is legit, all the power to his mom and all. Just my .02 worth.

You guys are compleatly missing the point. Think about it this way. Leaha is a pretty good looking woman, IF she is able to certify this fish as the world record and score 8 million bucks she could become the hottest gal in the country. A bass fishing millionaire California blonde!!! Dang!!! Brittany Spears step aside!!

Awwh, I just remembered I'm married.

Harpo

Nope...don't buy it...and don't believe it. I personally know Paul Duclos that "Suppossedly" caught the last world record(I'll see if I can scan the signed copy he gave me and post). Yeah right Paul...The guy has caught more 15 lb.+ fish than I have 4 lbr's...and he didn't know what the current world record was? Didn't want to kill the fish to officially weigh it? Had to use bathroom scales?....

I have a picture of Bob Crupi with a 18 1/2 lb'r that looks bigger than that fish she's holdin'(looks like about 5 lb. of eggs).

And how about that IGFA...come on guys...50 years after the fact they want to rule out the "current" world record smally because some fool says the documents were doctored?

I know that back in the day they'load em' up with spark plugs and lead weights...but, has anyone really looked closely at the mount...looks like an 11 lb. smally to me. Look at the pictures of Billy Westmoreland with his first 10 lb'r....the world record dwarfs that.

None of what I hear...and only half of what I see..:)

TEE

Latest posts

Back