Waves/ Salt Water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Buch

Reaction score
I'm picking up a 2005 Nitro Sport 189 tomorrow. Will mostly use it in lakes. But my question is, is this something i could occasionally take out on the bay, considering its not a very deep v, will it handle small waves. And secondly, is salt water a problem?

Common sense. That holds true for any boat / water condition. As far as salt, the best way to "cleanse" it would be to take it for a ride in your local fresh water lake. Wash off, wax, wd-40.......dunk trailer ALL THE WAY IN....just be cautious of the "end" of the ramp.....:blink:

Even with all of the preventative stuff you can do, the salt will kill it. Electrical connections, TM, Outboard, trailer, none of this on your boat is rated for salt. Yes you can flush your motor but it won't get all of it (that's why they make salt water outboards), your TM (even if you don't use it) will bear the effects on the connections, head and foot control, your trailer may not show signs immediately but believe me it will eat it sure as the sun is gonna come up tomorrow. Salt will also trash your carpet. I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but I've seen what the Potomac and the St Johns rivers have done to boats and they are just brackish. IMHO it is not worth dunking a boat/trailer/motor designed and built for freshwater into salt water.

TOXIC

You asked for advice about an under powered boat and you are picking it up tomorrow. Now you want advice about dunking it in salt water. My guess is that no matter the advice given here, you will be boating in salt water. What's next? How do I keep my trailer from corroding after putting it in salt water and not rinsing it off for 2 weeks? :)

Underpowered. this is the standard motor sold with this boat, anything else is an upgrade. I'm testing it tomorrow and i may pick it up. And I know its not a salt water boat, i'm not an idiot, but i may consider using it on salt water once a year, i don't know, that's why I'm asking the questions, And your the only one that says its under powered and has a problem with everything, i can tell already your just an ass, F-you Bob G.

ALL of Merc's engines are designed for salt water. The only difference between the regular series and the salt series is a S/S tilt tube, couple more s/s fasteners, and an external flush adaptor. No issues here. It's true that salt is awful stuff, but don't let that stop you from the occasional trip. Just be sure afterwards that the boat, motor and trailer are FLUSHED AND LUBED. ;)

Doug remember that Nitro/Trackers come packaged with a motor that will do most of the jobs asked of the boat. MANY believe that ALL boats should come with the max hp it can hold. Truth is that a lot of people would love to max their hp's but with costs and type of use, it is not always necessary or possible. Nitro/Tracker tries to hit the majority of the market with the added hp's for those that MUST have them. I am sure you will enjoy your rig.

Remember that everyone has an opinion and like A$$HOLES, everyone has one and they all stink to everyone else! :wacko:

Randy!

Randy all good and well but I believe you will find a consensus to maxing out the HP. It's not all about being the fastest meanest boat on the lake. It is about safety and performance. People scrimp on the motor only to regret it later on. You get a ski boat loaded with the legal number of people full gas and gear and then can't pull a slalom skier up because you don't have the ponies or you get a bassboat and put all of your tackle, full bags of gas, your bubba fishing partner and full livewells and wonder why you can't get on plane. You then come back disappointed and bad mouthing your boat maker...whoever they are. One of THE biggest complaints id that Tracker underpowers it's standard packages. You need to know what HP will work for your situation and which is BEST for re-sale.

And as for opinions, everybody here puts a lot of helpful ones out there to a lot of questions that are asked. Bob G might have been a little blunt in his reply, all of us that know him laugh at that but If you come on the board with a whole 6 posts under your belt and toss the f bomb out because you didn't like the answer then don't ask the question.

TOXIC

Bob G. an ass?:lol:

I think he was just stressing not to do it. All the horror stories I've heard...I wouldn't either.

And yes...we protect our own round here;)

It had nothing to do with the answer i was given. It was how it was given.

Are we talking about salt water or the power? TEE

Both.

Have to agree with Bob on this one...it's a KNOWN fact that Tracker has always underpowered their boats so they can sell them cheaper.

I've also heard gurus say that once the trailer hits salt water and it's not galvinized...it's toast! Wiring can become an issue also....

Better have a lil' tuffer skin hangin' round here;)

Doug,

Everyone here that knows me knows that I'm a straight shooter. I don't sugar coat anything. I hope you're happy with the boat. You asked for advice, but really didn't want to hear the truth. Everyone here already knows that Nitro boats are packaged with less than ideal HP to make them affordable. You're not the first person to show up in a forum seeking advice and then get yanked if the advice doesn't agree with your plan.

Have fun with your new to you boat.

Oh yea....you're also not the first person to say F-you to me! I have thick skin! :lol: :p

doug,

from experiance up on cape cod i "used" to take my bass boats out striper fishing a couple of trips a year.

notice i said "used" to. SALT WATER EATS BASS BOAT! period. dont let anyone tell you differnt. if they choose to belive differnt they are foolish and waisting the resousre of a good boat.

it only takes a trip or two and your wires under the dash and in your mechanical compartments will be corroded from the inside out due to the salt in the air, yep thats right you dont even have to get it wet in the stuff just be within a mile of the coast and your boat will pracilay be rotting before your eyes.

thats just a start any exposed metal on your trailer will rot in 1 season. tracker trailers are not built for salt water and the warranty is voided if you choose to imerse them in it.

bob b. is correct in that all mercury outboards are rated for salt water and mercury will honnor all warantiees regardless of weather they are use in salt.

but take a good look at boats built for salt water the wireing under the console is protected by a doghouse not just a open console and is heavier gauge.

my advise as well as from what i've seen most guys on this board is dont do it.

and to bob g's point we've seen a million guys like you come along and ask if it's ok if i do this or do that with my boat, get told what you were told. and the next time they post is asking how to fix what they f----ed up by not heading the advise of those with the most experiance.

and i think the "tone" of this thread and your replies lead bob g. to belive like i still do that you are one of these millions of guys mentioned above you are going to do what it is you want to do and ask us for help after the mess.

i for one will remember this post "doug" and i hope you head our advise but if you dont i will not reply to any pleese for help with regard to wireing or corrosion form you.

my advise is if you want a salt water boat bye a "mako" there built for it.

doug,

sorry to tell ya bud but the 115 is small for that hull and all your sking buddies.

i sold tracker,nitro, mako. boats for years and not one of my customers would have pulled out of my location with a 115 on that hull.

this is the equilivat of putting a 115hp on todays Z-8 not my fisrt choice to say the least. save your money a better deal will come along they always do.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I can live without the salt for now. and i if not advised i will not do it. no big deal. I go out on the bay or ocean few x a year on charters, etc, and Once a year i go to Guatemala for sailfish, marlin and that kind of crap. But my passion is bass fishing. In lakes, and i have plenty of nice lakes where i live in N,NJ, i go out 2+ times a week. I'm upgrading from a 1982 15 ft deep v crestliner with a 9.9 to this. And before that a canoe with a trolling motor. So this is a big step for me, and my boat addiction is all within the last 5 years. Now i have the need something i can take the lady and 2 or more 11-12 year old kids out in. And fish and keep them entertained. Pull tubes etc. I don't think we will ever ski. And i don't need to race anybody. The new to me boat i'm considering is in mint condition, Old retired guy owns it and it has 40 something hrs on it, garage kept. Great deal. and a beautiful boat, loaded, all but the motor.

This will not be my last boat. Maybe in a few years i will upgrade or re power, or just be happy with it? Or whatever. Ive always loved the look of the nitro sport and this deal will not last, many offers on this boat. so i think considering the good and bad, its something i should jump on.

Any Comments Welcome Please?

One more thing, One of my original questions was about the chop. Like i stated before, i now have a deep V. But how does the nitro design handle choppy conditions?

Doug,

No problem. Welcome to NTOWS, one of the best sites on the web. Very wide array of people and characters here. I've learned a lot here in the last 11 years and have fished with several people from this site, more than I can count. No matter which boat you ever have, stick around anyways, it's not always about the boat!

True Dat Bob...we talk about EVERYTHING round here...very interesting:lol:;)

Sad to say Bob G has fished on my boat and Beeeeeetched about the size of the fish all day!!:lol::lol::lol:

Doug as long as you know what you are getting and you know what its limitations are then you are good to go. If the package fits your needs then go for it. It should pull tubes fine, handle rough water well and be pretty good on fuel. Remember though if you do end up upgrading, that motor size will turn away some buyers. It will double as a good fishing platform but will not be a bass boat. It will blow in the wind and need a bit more TM. Actually Bob G runs a F&S if I remember so he is a good resource.

TOXIC

Hey Tox....no matter the size of the fish the day I fished with ya in VA, I still had a great time!! I expected some bigger fish from a professional fishing guide!!! :lol: :eek: :lol:

You know I'm just razzing ya and hope to fish with ya again sometime.

Teri likes me....she just has a f*cked up way of showing it!!! :p

Doug, enjoy your new boat!!!! If you are happy, that's all that matters.

Bubby:)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Well, i got it. and i love it, took it fishing and took it tubing, a few times. Nice overall setup for both. Runs great, gets on plain no problem with a full boat, 4 adults and 2 kids. According to the spedo, i had it up to 55 without problem. Fast and stable hull design. Haven't GPS'd the speed yet, but i really don't care, its fast enough for me.

My only complaints is the lack of rod storage, it has rod storage behind the back seat but whats that for, kids rods? But I guess i can live with that.

:)

Sweet! Glad you're enjoying your new to you boat!

Latest posts

Back