Motor question about water

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassfisher

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a Nitro last fall haven't had a chance to use it since, I wanted to take it out this weekend if weather holds, when I bought the boat , guy had the motor sitting down in a cut off barrel to show it ran, motor was covered enough to have water running through an coming out like it should, when I try that today water was not coming out? First I was using the bucket guy had, I don't know if I had enough water going through or? I turned motor off quickly to prevent damage, tried couple times , I was mainly trying to see if motor would start since I didn't fog the motor when it sat over winter.
Could it be something simple like water supply or clog inline? I only ran for maybe 20 seconds each time, there was some smoke coming out but thought was usual when first starting? I haven't had boat in long while little rusty.
Motor is 91 Merc Black Max XR-4 150 hp o/b any info would be helpful.
Thanks

Sitting that long, mud dauber wasps could have plugged the water exit. If I recall correctly, my old XR6 took about a minute to start peeing. I believe the thermostats have to warm up and open. The impellor blades could also be malformed and shot. The smoke is normal. Unless the fuel was well treated it may run a little rough.

I would run it on water muff and while the engineer running, ream out the pee hole with a long a piece of 20lb+ line. Use the same trick to make sure the intake holes on the foot are not clogged.

Mud wasps use to get my evinrude 90 v4 all the time. I drilled the hole in my pisser a little bigger so I could clean it out easier.

Thanks, I had muffs on seem like they was fitting well , guess water still leaks out? Can you tell how to ream the hole out with wire or line? Sorry never done that before.

Also how long can you safely run motor if you don't see water coming out?

Take the engine cover off and feel the heads of you can’t hold your hands on it it’s been too long. I’m sure that has a buzzer or something on it also. Two - 3 minutes idling should be fine.
i don’t remember what size I drilled mine too. The nozzle was easy to get to so I just popped it off and pulled the hose off and drilled it out to a size a felt comfortable it was still sturdy enough to hold the hose on. I thinkmine has a1/4 hose so I probably drilled it to 3/16. As far as probing it with something a piece of wire or anything to get a hole through the mud and the rest will wash out once the water starts flowing.

There will also always be water leaking around the muffs. I have had some motors that needed water pumps and worked fine on muffs but not in the water due to water pressure off the garden hose pushing the water through

There will also always be water leaking around the muffs. I have had some motors that needed water pumps and worked fine on muffs but not in the water due to water pressure off the garden hose pushing the water through

I'm sure there's a thermostat that circulates within. Once it warms a bit, it allows the water to come out. Also check for spider webs in the outlet.

I would replace the thermostat and water pump impeller just to be safe along with using a thin wire to clean out any water passage openings.

HI I spoke with a service tech about the issue he said that on those models it took about a couple minutes to warm and tsat to open then it should start peeing. He also said could try a rev up motor to push motor water flow/pressure through it. I have not ran motor that long when I check it. I did check tube for plug did not see anything. Thanks

HI I spoke with a service tech about the issue he said that on those models it took about a couple minutes to warm and tsat to open then it should start peeing. He also said could try a rev up motor to push motor water flow/pressure through it. I have not ran motor that long when I check it. I did check tube for plug did not see anything. Thanks

Try the drum again and fill it all the way, if the water does not fill passed the lower unit parting line (that's were the lower unit mounts to) the water pump is right there and has to be submerged to get it's prime. If it still won't pump at idle rev it up, still no water take the hood off like Motorhead said and feel the heads. If you can't touch them shut it off. Then like Fishin 1.0 said service the lower unit and thermostats.

Latest posts

Back