Water in Oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkener

Reaction score
While changing the oil in my 2000 75 HP Mercury 4 stroke this past week, I noticed about a tablespoon of water coming out when I first removed the drain plug. The water was followed immediately by the oil. The last time I changed the oil was a year ago. The manual says "every 100 hrs or annually". My warranty expires on March 10, 2002, so I'm a bit concerned. Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

You could do a seal replacement for good measure. What color was the oil? I believe you did see a tablespoon amount of water come out, but sometimes the amount you precieve is probably less. I would concern myself with the color of the oil. I dont't think you hurt anything and the seal replacement is easy and cheap enough.

That small an amount could be attributed to condensation. If the oil is not milky, you are 99% safe. If there are any doubts, take it to a Merc dealer. That's what the warranty is for. No dealer worth their salt will mind checking it out for you. Good Luck!

The oil was black. Water was totally separated from the oil. I've run it a bit since and the oil seems to be fine, no sign of water.

Bob knows his stuff about Mercury engines. You should take his advise and make Mercury aware of the problem. Even if it seems small it could get worse....

Yes listen to Bob he does know his stuff. Wouldn't steer you wrong. Bob has always treated myself and everyone I have sent to Marine USA with the best service I every experienced.

Rob L

Latest posts

Back