Should i keep my crosslink poly fuel tank

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durangod

Reaction score
Hi, i am fixing up a 1988 tracker 1800SF. The 27 gal crosslink poly fuel tank is now close to 34 years old. As far as i know it has no leaks. I removed it to clean it up as it had 34 years of crud on it. I have been reading about these tanks and their expected life span of 15-20 years and it is way past that point.

I was considering going with dual 9 gal portable tanks (for balast) and strapping them in, venting them well, and using the same fill tube the boat came with and linking the two tanks. However i am have having second thoughts.

here is the tank model i am thinking about using for the dual replacement

amazon.com/Scepter-08667-Rectangular-Fuel-Tank/dp/B004AP8O1S

Here are my thoughts on this, if i am wrong please correct me.

1. the original tank will go bad, honestly i dont know what that means, i dont know what happens to these crosslink tanks when they get old, do they peel inside the tank, do they just crack, i dont know what happens after life expectancy has expired.

2. if remove the tank and use dual 9 gal tanks, then i have access to everything in that bay without removing a tank at all, if i keep the original tank then i have to remove it for some projects in the future.

3. I know ill have to strap the dual tanks down, but i am not aware of any other federal regulations regarding marine fuel storage i will need to follow.

4. there may not be enough room in that bay to run dual tanks plus tripple batteries.

5. i dont see any reason that i would need 27 gal of fuel on boad, which is what the original tank is, i am thinking this boat with a 115 hp mercury would get about 4 gallons per hour at full throttle, but i am not sure.

I have never had this boat on the water.

Sounds like work. I really can't help with the tech aspects. I have a 2008 Nitro189 Sport. It has a fuel tank between 12 and 13 gallons... I've never been able to get it exact. It has an Optimax 115. We can run 2 to 3 long days fishing without refilling if that helps you any on worries about tank size. We never let it visibly get below 1/4 tank full.

Good luck.

Thanks, i decided to use the original tank and ill have to sell the two tanks i purchased. I painted the original tank (gas can red) to help proted the crosslink poly from the sun, that should give it more expected life.

Latest posts

Back