Trolling Motor Issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Went fishing with my neighbor this morning. Whacked em on a buzz bait. Loved it! Anyway we took his boat and his trolling motor quit again. He has new batteries. Its a 54lb MinnKota probably a 2002 like his boat. Anyway, it just quit suddenly and wouldnt turn on at all in the water and then when we got home it would turn on but at full speed it was barely going. Then if you shut it off and turned it back on, it wouldnt move. Like there was not power. Almost seems like a short to me. Any idea what would cause that or what he should check. He is too stubborn to take it in. Seems like it's had issues since I've know him. I told him I would post and see if anyone could recommend anything. Thanks!

New batteries does not mean fully charged. Start with a volt meter and work your way forward from the batteries.

BF

We tested the batteries. They were full.

Bad connection, cable corroded, bad wiring, etc... You need a meter to make sure everything "TO" the motor is 100%, then you will have to have the motor (there are circuit boards, so "chit" can happen). Good luck. I hate electrical problems!!!:angry:

Teri,

I would take off the prop and see what is behind there ? I have had line in there and old weeds that have stopped the prop from turning.

John

As mentioned, bad connections are the primary cause of electrical not working properl. It's not a 'short', for anytime there is a 'short', something is going to burn. This is more a case of an 'open'.

Taking a sharp object (probe from a voltmeter) and sticking it into a battery terminal to check voltage only tells you part of the story. When doing the checking, you also need to check what the voltage reads both under a load (i.e. - running) and static. Most people only check it in a 'static state'.

Tex

Check behind the prop. Mine was doing the same thing. Pulled the prop off and there was line and weeds tangled all over the spool. Cleaned it off and the thing ran just like new.

NoCAL

Hey Teri, where you killin' the bass? If above does not do it I'd confirm that the power is getting to the motor, and that it is getting power past the switch with a voltmeter. If it is not getting nearly 13V there is a short between the motor and the battery. If it is getting power, and doesn't drop too much under a load, then it is the witch, board, or motor itself. Work your way down. Hope this makes sense...

Is the speed control individual speeds or the continuous rheostat kind? I had similar trouble with my MinnKota and they had to replace the variable speed control. Luckily it was within a month of going out of warranty so did not cost anything. Lately it does not seem to have the same punch so hpefully mine is not starting to go out again.

Latest posts

Back