Old trolling motor removal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrcrum

Reaction score
Working to remove old trolling motor from 1996 170tf. For the two most forward bolts I can barely get my hand up to the underside of screw. Almost feels like a blind nut under there don’t feel a nut. Trying to unscrew from top it doesn’t seem to spin but screw will not back out. Any idea what is under there or tricks to remove.

Attachments

• A31B17FA-238B-4BA0-BE68-7EB9E9634105.jpeg
    A31B17FA-238B-4BA0-BE68-7EB9E9634105.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Can you reach your phone into the area and take a picture? Might help ID what you're up against.

Great idea I will try that tomorrow. Also thought of my underwater ice fishing beacon now that you suggested that

There are lock nuts underneath the bow. I had to have my 11 year old reach up inside and hold the wrench on so I could back the screws out.

I had the same issue. I cut the access hole as big as I could so the dash plate would still cover it. That may help.
I eventually worked enough room between the trolling motor bracket and the hull. I then cut the bolts off with a Sawzall. Be carefull, LOL!

The reinstall will still require you to get a wrench on the nut. I had to get my wife to hold it while I tighten it up. My forearms are to big to get in there far enough.

Thanks all. I was able to use my underwater ice fishing camera which I passed through the round hole behind control cover and got a good look. Actually very clear picture. It was only nuts and I was able to guide a long handle 7/16” and got them off one I could easily see them.

Thanks all. I was able to use my underwater ice fishing camera which I passed through the round hole behind control cover and got a good look. Actually very clear picture. It was only nuts and I was able to guide a long handle 7/16” and got them off one I could easily see them.
Like a boss!

Glad the camera idea worked out and you had success in removing...

But... How about sharing a picture so we can see firsthand. Docked 2 stars for lack of pictures. :)

Glad the camera idea worked out and you had success in removing...

But... How about sharing a picture so we can see firsthand. Docked 2 stars for lack of pictures. :)
The underwater fishing camera I have doesn’t have recording capabilities. Can I get my 2 stars back please

Latest posts

Back