Trolling Motor Advise

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Well i think my trolling motor died Sunday. Checked everything in the system (wiring, breaker, fuse, cables and battery) and everything points to the motor being the problem. I want to upgrade to a 24volt system, maybe at least a 70 lb thrust. Trying to decide which Minn Kota is the best fit. I like the Terrova's with the autopilot option and other than that what do you all think? Terrova, Maxxum or Fortrex? It will be on a 170DC, the current 12volt 40lbs motor was no where near enough.

In my experience it all depends what type of fishing you do and where. If its just casting for bass go with the non-electric pedal for best control. If you like to do some trolling for other species the Terrova would be the best bet. Myself I would go to the highest thrust motor you can afford. This way you can move from one spot to another with the trolling motor and help when you fish in current.

I'd double check that you have power to the wires going to the motor. Sounds like the on off switch to me. It would be a good excuse to get a new one.

Thanks guys for the input. I called myself checking everything,then I found an area on the wire that plugs in up front where it must have gotten pinched while deploying or stowing the motor. The wire was almost completely cut. Repaired with some eletrical splices and black tape and what do ya know - works again! Your right Berry, still a good excuse to upgrade to a better motor. Funny how something like that can hide in plain sight. Thanks again guys.

Back