Trailering with Boat Cover

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
Hey all, any reason I'm not thinking of to travel with the boat cover on back and forth to the lake? Thanks, Sean

I only throw the cover on if I think it is going to rain. Any travel damage is usually a rock to the hull -- cover doenst protect against that.

I'm with Marty. I only ride with the cover on when it's raining. Other than that, she's airing out on the open road!!

If I am going from home to the ramp I take my cover off. Traveling any more than a couple of hours I leave it on, mainly because I can stop at a rest area/fast food joint without too much paranoia about my rods disappearing.

Unless you have paid big $$ for a custom (meaning custom to your specific boat not just brand) It is better to travel with it off. Many will say they travel covered and have never had any damage but many, many, more have scuffed their gel or windshields with the cover. Long trips with a cover on requires more than just throwing it on and going. Some take saran wrap and cover their gunnels and place towels over their windshields (yes, even if the cover has that extra padding). Think of it this way, how much easier is it to put your cover on it it is in the sun....it's a lot easier.....Why?....because the cover material, no matter what it is made of expands and contracts in the sun. With that in mind, while trailering you need to stop and adjust your cover. Say you put it on the night before, when you get in the sun it WILL loosen up and then the scuffing starts. I have actually seen covers put on in the heat of the day and it got cool at night so the cover contracted and cracked a windshield!! I'm just not a big fan of them. The ratchet covers are the best and the straps around the trailer rail type scare me the most and that is what I had.

TOXIC

Thanks all. Being new to this, I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I'll travel with it off sense the lake is less than two hours. I would worry also if I was stopping for a driving break and no cover on the boat.

You folks must live in areas with a lot of ne'er-do-wells. I've gone into sit down restaurants with the boat parked out of view and never had a thing taken. Now, either we're all honest folks out here in Kansas or I don't have anything worth taking.

On long trips your mileage will be better with a cover..

I trailer with mine on all the time. Up here in NE where i live we get dew a lot in the mornings and i dont like all the spray in my boat.

Tox is right a well built custom cover is the way to go if you intend on trailering with it. I hav one built by Aurora canvas and it has padding everywhere it touches the gellcoat and i have dont have a scratch on the boat at all. Mine was designed and built for trailering. My old 882 had some nice scuffs almost like someone took a brollow pad to it on the windshields where the el cheapo Dowco cover i originally had hit it while trailering. I dont worry about that one but with my Aurora because the entire windshield ares has nice thick very soft padding that wont scratch.

Im with you Marty, where i tend to go in NH i have never had an issue ever with anything taken form my boat wether its parked outside a restruant or a motel over night. Im not niave to think there is no crime up there but it seems far less of an issue and people seem to respect other peoples things a little more than they do where i live. Its amazing the difference when you travel 3 hours north.

Shoot, I know of people who had rods and reels stolen at the ramp while they walked up to get the truck:eek: Wherever I go, if there are 2 of us, one always stays at the boat. Gas Stations especially.

TOXIC

Gel coat is a non issue. Aluminum tracker I have. My cover is custom made for my boat and fits like a glove. It does stay snug while traveling highways but I always check it before and during travel, at least during the 2 hour ride home from the BPS I bought it at. I think I'll bring it with me tomorrow to the lake. We have a chance of rain later in the after noon so I may cover it for the ride home if it's raining. Otherwise I'll let the air dry it out. Thanks, Sean

Wow Tox, i have never heard of anything liek that happening up here even in Mass. there is only a handfull of places where i think theft would be a problem(S. Wattuppa in Fall River MA is one) so i just dont go to those places. Up in New Hampshire where i normally fish i have left my boat tied up to docks for long periods of time unattended and never had an issue. I guess im glad i dont live down south :lol:

I don't know about you guys, but when I trailer with the cover on it feels like I'm pulling a parachute behind my truck....LoL I just assume leave it off.

Latest posts

Back