"Sticky" Trailer Bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ph411tx

Reaction score
I have a heck of a time getting my 2018 Z19 off, but especially ON the trailer. When I launch, if I have the winch strap loosened, the bow drops sharply and I had to move the trolling motor back so that it wasn't protruding beyond the bow so that it wouldn't hit the front roller on the way down. Loading is even more of a problem. If I put the trailer deep into the water, the bow hits BELOW the front roller and can't be winched up. If I don't put the trailer in that deep, I can't power all the way up on the trailer. My best solution is to load to the point where the bow just comes to rest on the roller and then back the trailer in another foot or so and winching up the rest of the way is easy. It almost seems like the trailer isn't "tuned" for the boat.
I'm considering the Drotto "Catch and Release". The fin on the Drotto looks like it could guide the bow up and over the roller. Do any of y'all have experience with the Drotto? All comments welcome. I'll contact their customer support too, but user experience is better than marketing answers.

Had the same problem when I was at a sharp dropoff ramp on the Mississippi River. I normally don't trim up my motor but use the jack plate to raise it, I trimmed way up and brought the nose up when in gunned it a little to get the bow up more. I think I will add another upright roller on the trailer further back from the winch stand. That problem was the last of many problems that day. It took my a long time to figure out how the even drive the boat onto the trailer. The current from the left side was 6MPH so you had to angle for that, but close to shore the current eddyed back from the right. Thank God for that anchor mode on the trolling motor to give me time to do the math on that problem. Most launch ramps I've been on seem to have the same slope, I mostly fish reservoirs that the Corps of Engineers operate, these guys are awesome and their capmgrounds are great.

It was very dependent on ramp angle but my Stratos 176XT had the same issues - installed a Drotto and it was a huge help.
Having the weight of the bow resting on the slick plastic of the Drotto helps the boat start gliding off the bunks when launching and keeps the bow from banging into the roller and its upright when loading. I need one more roller between the bunks and the roller on the back of the trailer in the center and I think it would handle any ramp angle with ease.

Latest posts

Back