Tow vehicle question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Hutson

Reaction score
HELP,I have a case of the new vehicle fever! I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler and I'm giving some serious thought to purchasing one this year. Have any of you ever owned/towed with either a Wrangler or the older CJ series??

I can't say that I have ever seen a Wrangler/CJ pulling a boat. My boat is a P/T185 with a 90. I know that IF I get one, it will have the 6 cyl and a 5 spd. manual transmission.

If you have any information (good or bad), please pass it

on.

Thanks,

Steve

I sold my Wrangler Sahara last week. Plenty of power but not geared correctly for towing, had trouble towing the Seadoo never even atempted to tow the boat. I'm back to my Toyota Land Cruiser for towing.

TOXIC has one that he uses to tow a little mini boat - but he's on vacation this week.

The gearing would likely be ok with a manual, 5-speed but the automatic is only a 3-speed and would never do what you want.

If I remember correctly the Wrangler is rated for 3,500#, so you would certainly be ok there as well.

My question would be the wheelbase and the lightness of the wehicle. Towing down the highway could be a nightmare and trying to back down/pull up ramps could be even worse.

I've had two 4x4 Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0L, 6-cylinder automatic rated for 5,000#. I've towed my old Nitro 2000DC and a Nitro 929 with them easily so you've got plenty of power.

Had a 5 speed manual, still could never use 5th and the speed dropped when you climbed a hill in 4th sometimes had to change back to 3rd. Ordered mine October 2003, got it end of January 2004 and sold it last week with just over 4000 miles on the clock. The wind noise also got to me big time on the highway. Looks nice and everything but please reconsider. Only rated to tow 2,000#.

Mr. Bass, was it a 6-cylinder or 4?

I thought the 6's were rated higher?

Yeah, I've been in them on the highway..... Even with the "real" doors, more wind noise than my old 1961 TR-3 with the side curtains.....

6-cylinder, weight of the car not enough, thats why the rating is only 2,000# the rating on the 6-cylinder cherokee is 3,500# heavier vehicle weight.

You won't have a problem pullin' it but, with such a short wheelbase on the Wrangler and a 21' trailer...you can forget about ride. Probably be alright for shorter trips:)

A-a-a-ah.....

I just went to the Jeep website (www.jeep.com)..... They've made some changes in the last few years.....

The automatic is FINALLY a 4-speed! That old 3-speed was miserable.

Only one Wrangler model is rated for 3,500# - it looks like that is the Sahara/6-cylinder/5-speed..... The rest are 2,000# or even 1,000#.

Ahh, something I can say I am actually pretty qualified to answer. Yes I do tow my 175 with a Jeep, and here is the kicker, it is only 4 cyl 1994 Wrangler with a 5 speed. It is only rated to pull 2000 lbs, which I am under even fully loaded and gassed up. Of course I have to downshift and slow down alot on steep hills, and have to be careful braking as I do not have trailer brakes, but believe it or not it does really well. I love the short wheelbase when backing up to the boat ramp, very easy to swing it in place. I have a full size, v-8 Ford truck, ext cab with longbed, and it is a real pain backing up a trailer compared to the jeep. Other huge advantages of the jeep,of course you can go convertible on the nice days, and it is ok to tow behind your motorhome, which is the main reason that I bought mine. If you get a 6 cyl, of course you will have better results towing with the additional power, but the most important thing to still consider is the weight differential. What I mean is that a Wrangler, no matter what kind of engine does not greatly outweigh the trailer loaded down. What that means is you have to be especially careful making sudden stops while going downhill, especially on a turn, it could slide the rear end our from you. I think trailer brakes would be an excellent safety feature in this case. And if you do get a Wrangler, remember you are required to wave to all other Wrangler owners when you are driving, kind of the unwritten rule. Good Luck, hope the input helped.

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand", right Carl?

I haven't seen one but I know there is a new longer wheelbase Wrangler model coming out. That might be a little more civilized for towing. I'm not sure civilized is a word that can be used in the same sentence with Wrangler. They are: fun, sexy, cool, and will go anywhere a Mountian Goat can go. However, one should leave all thoughts of comfort, security of valuables, and arriving at your destanation fully rested at the curb. The ride make a Jetski seem like a Rolls Royce. BUT I LOVE THEM.

BTW, I noticed it the latest Jeep owners magazine that the new 2005 Grand Cherokee will not offer the 4.0 6 cyl or the Select-Trac 4X4. Too bad, I liked both of those.

Harpo

...{sniff}... been driving jeeps for 12 years... ...they don't send me a magazine... ...{sniff}...

I'm sorry, Staci. :-((

Call 800/925-JEEP and I'm sure they will be happy to send it to you. Seems like it comes every 3 months or so. It's really more of a catalog for Jeep logo stuff like T-shirts, keyfobs, baby strollers, ect. It does have some interesting articles about new Jeeps and travel related stories.

I got a picture of the 2005 Grand Cherokee and the new Renegade. Do you all want to see them?

Harpo

Steve,

I towed my Proangler 16 with a 97 wrangler with the 4cyl engine, manual 5 speed. I agree with everything Carl and Sooner said. Never had one problem.

Don't keep anything in it you don't mind losing. I never had anyone steal anything from mine, but let's face it, you can get in easily with a sharp piece of glass! They are noisy driving down the road, since you are basically driving in a tent and if you drink coffee on your ride to work, get a travel cup with a good lid, cause bumps will splash it all out! Don't worry about forgetting to put the top up in the rain, they have drain plugs built in on both sides and definitely wave to the other Wranglers.

They are awesome! I traded mine because I needed a bed for hauling stuff, but I plan on getting a used one in the future just for fun!

Staci, you cherokee owners just don't make the cut. Wrangler or nuthin!

Rich D

There really is a clique among Wrangler and CJ owners. My Grand Cherokee gets no respect at all.

You gotta love a vechile that has drain plugs.

Harpo

I am very curious to see the extended Jeep Wrangler. Do they have a picture of that in that magazine?

Teri,

Go to Jeep.com. They have pix there.

Rich D

That lime green color is butt !!!

I think what I saw was a concept car for Jeep. It looked like a Wrangler but it was a pick up truck. Maybe I dreamed that.

I wish they hadn't discontinued the standard Cherokee..... I've put somewhere around 400,000 miles on my two in the last 12 years without a lick of trouble..... For me, it is absolutely the perfect size!

C'mon Teri, get the electric lime with a custom made fuscia top, add the banana boat and you are stylin! LOL!!

Rich D

Rich..... the Queer Eye guy's could have a field day with your sense of color coordination!

Can I help it if the rest of the world has no taste?

Steve,

If you decide not to go with the Wrangler, I bet Steve R. could hook you up with a good tow vehicle... (sorry, Steve, I know that's no help, but I couldn't resist)
Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, I'm still wavering. I saw the long wheel base Wranglers at the dealer the other day. I really liked them. The trouble is that the dealer really liked them too. So much so that he didn't want to get right on the price.

Like I said, I've always wanted one ever since I was a kid. While in Alabama last week, I borrowed my father-in- laws Tracker (Iknow, it's not a Jeep) and took off the top. My youngest son and I went on a day trip to the National Coon Dog Cematary out side of Muscle Shoals AL. MAN DID WE HAVE A BLAST!!! Really lit a fire.

Steve R., whats the towing capasity on one of those things?

ALOT!!!!!!

24 litre single turbo inline six

1,500 and some odd cubic inch

Only about 800 hp,but about 2400 ft/lbs of tq at 1300 rpm.

AR AR AR AR AR AR AR

This is actually pretty small as far as rock haulers go,its a 65 tonner,they go as big as 320 ton capicity.

As far as Jeeps go,I'm partial to the old CJ's.I have an old 1978/84/80 ford/jeep/chevy fiberglass cj that only has the oniginal motor that I started out with.

Everything else has been broke,fixed,rebroke,beefed up

,swapped,welded or just plain fell off.

It is in the garage right now undergoing another frame off rebuild.

Real jeeps are built,not bought.

Harpo-

the clique is among CJ owners.We are like Harley riders,they wave to us and we wave to them,but nobody ever ever waves to the wrangler owners.

Snobby bunch of S.O.B.'s we are.LOL

O I C

There's a Golden Eagle CJ that runs around my town. My son is in love with it. He says his first car will be a Jeep with "round headlights".

I'm not even going to show him Steve's daily driver.

Harpo

I have always loved those Golden Eagles...espically after seeing Daisy Duke in one..YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWW

Although that is the biggest I usually pulled, I did pull a pop-up camper with the boat on top!! Mine is a 93 with the HO I-6, manual, and pulled just fine.....stopping was another matter!! As a rule they are not designed to tow but you can get away with it for short distances and light weights. I did pull the little boat to Florida to fish the ICW.

TOXIC
smallriga.jpg

You got it set up right with the hard top, TOX!

And I like those wheels!!

I've got 3 tops for it and the wheels and tires were a b-day present from the wife 5 years ago. Last year was the first time in the 10 years I have owned it that I did not pull the hard top off and put on the soft top.

TOXIC

Hard tops and full doors are for sissies!

It's a Jeep! You aren't supposed to be able to hear the radio over the road noise and canvas flapping! You are supposed to have the dirt mark on the side of your leg from the unzipped window! You own a Jeep, there are certain images to project! Tox, I want you to sell the hard top immediately and switch out the doors.

Rich D

Now we know the truth.....Toxic is a Girlyman AND a Bad Kisser.

;>))

Harpo

I have a '99 Wrangler 4.0 6cyl with a 5 speed. I have towed my PT175 w/40 merc for short distances with no issues. Weight isn't an problem, since my Jeep weighs close to 4,000lbs, and the boat is about 1,600 wet. Stopping is an issue though, stock Wranglers have small drums in the rear, which are marginal in stock form. My Jeep is lifted 5.5" and I run 33x12.5x15 BFG All Terrains. Panic stops without the boat definately have a lot of PANIC to them. I won't tow again until I upgrade my rear brakes to discs.

If you are buying new, the Sport, Rubicon, and Unlimited (long wheelbase) models either have rear disks as an option or standard. Definitely get them. If you are towing, also go for at least the 30" tire package and the Dana 44 rear axle upgrade. Also coming in 2005 is a six-speed manual tranny. The 4spd Auto is nice, but since there is no Towing Package available on the Wrangler, you are on your own to upgrade the tranny cooler.

Really the short Wrangler is only marginal at best as a tow vehicle. The Unlimited would be better, with it's 3,500lb tow rating and long wheelbase. (all short wheelbase models are 2000lbs, Sahara included) I am waiting until November when production is supposed to begin on the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon model. (31" MTR tires, D44 front and rear, 4-1 T-case, Mmmmmm)

BTW - CJ owners don't wave because it takes two hands on the wheel to keep those rust-buckets on the road. ;-) (I used to own a '79 CJ-7)

Mike

Latest posts

Back