Take our Troops Fishing at Clarkes Hill

• Thread starter Jimmy Easterling [URL]http://www.thefreedomtofish.
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
Is anyone here fishing in this tournament or fished it last year. I saw a thread last night here asking for boats down in Texas and wished I lived near enough to help out. Today, in our little weekly paper, was an ad for this event only 65 miles away so I signed me and my boat up. One, I was wondering what to expect and two, I have never fished Clarkes Hill before. As a matter of fact, this will be my first real tournament. I would love to be able to put my fishing Military buddy on some fish. It is not just Bass but won't know what else is included until the day before. I know there are other species of fish out there that are probably fun to catch, I have just never hunted for them. I will spend at least 6 of the 8 hours hunting my large mouthed friends. So here is what I am asking: What to expect and any ideas on where to find the fish?
http://www.thefreedomtofish.com

Don't be fooled into thinking these anywhere near resemble a "Tournament". I have seen them run a couple of different ways and it is strictly for the benefit of the troops. You might get someone who can fish, you might get someone who has never held a pole. Sometimes it is any species, sometimes it is just bass. Even though there is a weigh in, there should be gifts for all involved. The event I participate in on the Potomac usually ends up being a Catfish rodeo!!:lol: They are super plentiful and fun to catch. The Lake Anna event was bass only. Remember, it is your job to give these guys and gals a fun day on the water no matter what. Don't go into tournament powerfishing mode. If they want to spend all day running up and down the lake so be it. Don't ask about their time out of country. If they volunteer ok....be supportive. Make a quick assesment about their injury and what you can and can't do. You'll see a lot of single and double amps as well as other injuries. Help as much as they want to be helped. Some are very independent and some realize they need assistance. Load crutches, help them up to the rear chair etc. I had a soldier one year who had a brain injury so I was not gonna take him out and bounce him around on the Potomac on a windy day. We stayed in the harbour (well, all except for a couple of runs, he was a mechanic and wanted to see what my boat could do ;) ). This year on the Potomac I had a warrior who's chest was superglued shut from open heart surgery:eek:. Ask about home and family find out what they like to do. Most events limit media exposure for fear of nosy reporters trying to get gory war stories. If they need casting help, cast the rod. Hell, reel it for them if you have to. Make sure you have every level of fishing equipment. You may need some push button reels!! Stay with them/near them even after you get back in. You are their buddy for the day. This is all about them...period. They got injured fighting for you, show them how much you appreciate it. Make sure you have a lot of water/drinks/snacks on board. Most of the time they are avaliable at the dock before you blast off.

Most of all, whoop it up!! Have Fun!! Be the class clown (I never have a problem with that:lol: ). Make the day memorable because Lord knows these soldiers have been through a lot of crap and you have a chance to help them forget about it for a day. Once you participate in one of these events you will need to do more, it becomes a part of who you are. I always have said I get as much out of the events as the soldiers. So will you. I have never felt as uplifted as I do after one of these events.

Report back (with pictures if possible) how it went.

TOXIC

HEy Jimmy, I'll miss being able to participate by about 45 days (stationed in Korea), but I can tell you that you need to have a Zoom Super Fluke tied and also a S.S Juior, clear. You shouldn't need much else to catch fish at that time. If you have a new fisherman, have some type of swim bait tied on and a popper. Fish the runout points around the main lake, especially ones with deep water close by. Also, make sure you have a map and keep track of the channels. The lake is extremely low and this lake is full of humps and rockpiles that come up very quickly. Stay in the channels at WOT! Good luck and thanks for your support, I'll be there for the next one!

JP

Latest posts

Back