Storage tips

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbraun

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am getting my first boat and was wondering on storage advice as I need to store the boat outside until I can find a suitable storage place. It will have a full canvas cover and be in a secure location but didnt know if there were any tips for this type of storage and how detrimental having it outside really is. The boat is a 2005 Nx882. Thanks in advance for the tips. Looking forward to learning from everyone! I am located in Missouri.

I would order a tarp from HD online and put over your canvas cover to protect from elements and fading. Covering motor and talons or power poles keep dust off of it and people from being curious. I always believe out of sight, out of mind.

I was able to order a 12 x 24 tarp to cover the Z20 boat. It used to cover the boat and motor on my 18"

Just remember to lower the motor as far down as possible to keep water from freezing around seals in prop in winter.

another tip or 2 never wrap your motor up tight ,it will cause condensation.
put a cotton ball with a few drops of peppermint oil in each compartment to prevent mice and rats . thats a tip from the florida boaters. always winterize the motor to prevent a big $ repair.boat owner since about 1970, never stored inside. happy boating!

Another Tip: Never store your boat under pine trees. The sap never really comes off. Nice to store your boat in a semi shady area so it’s not baking in the hot sun. If you do use an extra trap try to vent it in some way. You don’t want condensation building up inside your boat. I’ve used peppermint, mothballs, and drier sheets to deter rodents from going into the boat. Even spraying around the wheels. It’s worked for 30+ years. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Always appreciate the wisdom of experience.

Latest posts

Back